PDA

View Full Version : Ash - Open Segment Wave

John Beaver
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
5 x 10 Ash Bowl with Open Segment Wave (Ebony, Wenge, Mahogany, Maple)

C&C's welcome

charlie knighton
11-12-2013, 1:44 PM
very nice, best one yet, i saw a club member do a slanted row or segment, but he does not do the wave

Bill Bulloch
11-12-2013, 3:31 PM
Very nice John. I like your wave designs.

Brian Kent
11-12-2013, 5:53 PM
Wow. Wow. Whaaaat?

Mike Cruz
11-12-2013, 11:42 PM
John, first of all, home run! Love it!

Secondly, I do understand how it is done, but I have a question: Do you sand/prep each of the surfaces of the wave after cutting, or just go straight to gluing in your segments?

Oh, second question: Simple wood glue (Titebond or such) not CA, right?

John Beaver
11-13-2013, 1:03 AM
Secondly, I do understand how it is done, but I have a question: Do you sand/prep each of the surfaces of the wave after cutting, or just go straight to gluing in your segments?

Oh, second question: Simple wood glue (Titebond or such) not CA, right?

Yes I do sand the surfaces, very carefully but enough to get rid of the saw marks.
Usually Titebond, in this case, slow set epoxy. Need as much working time as possible.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Rick Markham
11-13-2013, 1:15 AM
I will keep with Mike's analogy... GRAND SLAM! This one is spectacular.

Mike Cruz
11-13-2013, 7:03 AM
Very interesting, and almost even more impressive, John. Usually, after the cut, it is a no-no to try to clean it up...it mates perfectly without any clean up. In this case, since you can see between the segments, I understand "why" you do, though. But taking off too much in a section (or even a very small spot) would mean that it wouldn't get good contact on one or more of the segments. So, again, even more impressive!

Also, I was assuming that you wanted something that set fairly quickly, so that as you placed each segment, it would "stay put" and make sure they are straight. But I understand the desire to have them all just a little "mobile" so that you can tweak them. But even then, what did you have...30 minutes? Again, impressive!

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2013, 7:14 AM
John many turners take a bowl to the bandsaw to analyse their form - thus destroying the bowl. You take to the bandsaw and create unique art. This piece is among the best of the best.

Eric Holmquist
11-13-2013, 7:46 AM
Fantastic as usual, and you have taken it to a new level with the open segment concept.