PDA

View Full Version : Corel Photo Paint X6-64bit starting on it's own?

Mike Lassiter
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I leave the computer on in our shop all the time, due in part to daily backups on home server. A couple of days ago when we came home after dark I can see the monitor lite up through a front window. I went into the shop and found Corel Photo Paint X6 open on the screen with the welcome pop up window open, AND it seems I had been online at Corel about to make a $1995 purchase! I believe one more click to confirm purchase or add to cart one showing in the window. Closed everything out and closed Photo-Paint and put the computer back to sleep. Door locked on shop so it wasn't because someone had gotten in and done this. I didn't really understand how this happened, and sort of bothered by it. Never has happened before. Moving on to yesterday around 9:00 PM we came home from working on a double wide mobile home that has been a year and a half long project to again find the shop window lite up. I came in the shop to find Corel Photo-Paint again open and the welcome screen popup window on screen. I closed all programs before leaving shop yesterday so I KNOW Photo Paint was NOT open when I pressed the sleep button. I find this disturbing! Has anyone else had this happen?

Gary Hair
11-12-2013, 1:54 PM
Sounds like you have malware, or something similar, and someone has taken control of your computer remotely. You need to disconnect your ethernet cable and power off until you figure out what it is and how to remove it. I would also use another computer and change passwords to anything you have logged into from that computer. Hopefully nothing like bank accounts or credit cards...

Michael Gonzales
11-12-2013, 2:15 PM
I find this disturbing! Has anyone else had this happen?

I think you are being very calm about this. That would make me get on it and stay on it till I figured it out. Wow, have you in the past several months had a malware repair service done? I had one and they down loaded a huge amount of files and said they will be coming in every three months to keep it clean. Nope, that was not going to happen. I uninstalled everything they downloaded. What happened to you was my fear that was going to happen to me. Click on the history or cntl H and see what other searches or potential purchases has happened.