PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Dovetail Jig Bits

Mike Cutler
11-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Looking for some input on replacement bits, or bit sets, for the Porter Cable 4200 series dovetail jigs.
The included bits have been less than impressive and after 5 drawers they clearly need either sharpening, or replacing.
They're not cutting cleanly and leaving "strings" behind, in addition to burning the female portion of the half blind dovetail in cherry.
Material is soft maple for the drawer sides, and cherry for the fronts. Router is a Festool OF2200.

Lee Schierer
11-12-2013, 1:00 PM
I would think that any good name brand bit with the same angle bit (probably 14 degree) would work with your jig. Dovetails seem to be hard on bits. Freud and Whiteside make good router bits.

David Hawkins
11-12-2013, 1:56 PM
Festool OF2200 is a variable speed router maxing out at 22k rpm. My Porter Cable router has a single speed of 27k rpm. You might try running the porter cable bits at your high speed and it might reduce the burning in cherry. Cherry is a somewhat resinous wood and it builds up quickly on the bits. It's been my experience that more speed (both feed and rotation) within reason of course, works better with cherry. Also cleaning the buildup on the bits helps.

George Bokros
11-12-2013, 2:42 PM
I would think that any good name brand bit with the same angle bit (probably 14 degree) would work with your jig. Dovetails seem to be hard on bits. Freud and Whiteside make good router bits.

Per Whiteside the bit is a 7 degree bit for the PC jig RD7531 is the dovetail and R1064A is the straight bit.

Mike Cutler
11-12-2013, 4:05 PM
Thanks folks.

George
I'll look into the Whiteside's, and Amana's. I see Woodcraft has a Whiteside replacement set.

David
I'm running the OF 2200 at max, so it probably is more the latter of your suggestion,and the cherry is just being a PITA.

Lee
I didn't see any Freud's, but I'll look again. Lately I've been liking their bits. They used to be a little cruddy, but they seemed to have put the quality back into their product line(s).

Joe Scharle
11-12-2013, 4:51 PM
You already know this, but I'll be redundant and say anyway that the bit is 17/32".

Lee Schierer
11-12-2013, 7:01 PM
Lee
I didn't see any Freud's, but I'll look again. Lately I've been liking their bits. They used to be a little cruddy, but they seemed to have put the quality back into their product line(s).

Try this link. (http://routerbitworld.com/Dovetail-Bits-s/186.htm)

Earl McLain
11-12-2013, 9:30 PM
The supplemental manual offers some good insight on bit selection. If I understand correctly, the only static requirement is the 7 degree angle. Beyond that, size combination between the dovetail and straight bit need to equal 15/16". So the stock 17/32" dovetail is paired with a 13/32" straight bit. Move down to a 1/2" dovetail bit and a 7/16" straight bit is the mate. The supplemental manual is free on the PC site (I think it's on Rockler's site too, probably other places as well). It is well worth downloading for those who use the PC system.
earl