PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Islands - It's a long shot but I thought I'd ask

Brian Ashton
11-11-2013, 8:33 PM
I'm heading to the Solomon Islands on Friday to look into prospects of setting up a organisation for training and up-skilling locals in the various woodworking industries… And was wondering if anyone on this forum lives over there that maybe I could hook up with to bend an ear and such…

Cheers Mat

Don Morris
11-12-2013, 8:31 AM
We have several pieces of upscale furniture with a brand name called "Theodore Alexander". They are very nice but didn't pay a fortune for them. I only make amateur stuff for the family. The Alexander brand to the best of my knowledge, is being made in Viet Nam directed by someone who originally was a top worker for Stickley (a close to top line of furniture) in the USA (don't quote me on all this, it's just what I was told). But like you, he went off to "a third world country which in his case was Viet Nam, his ancestral home" and taught the locals the skills he had developed while at Stickley. So what you're proposing isn't new or impossible. If the infrastructure is there, plus a capable labor force...why not?