PDA

View Full Version : Router insert

Dave Gale
11-11-2013, 8:23 PM
I have an insert but its hole is 1/16 off center. Since my cabinet is made by jointech and they are no longer in business, should I take the insert and have a shop remake it or call woodpeckers for info. Basically what are my options. Thanks Dave

Duane Meadows
11-11-2013, 9:17 PM
Unless you are using a guide bushing, or a bit close to the size of the opening, it's probably not necessary to do any thing. Replacing the insert should be worse case. Drilling a new set of mounting holes is also an option. I would get a centering cone and trying adjusting it first.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Centering%20cone%20router

glenn bradley
11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Agree, I am confused about what is off center. Is the bit opening off center to the mounting holes or off center to the plate? Are you saying that you are trying a Woodpecker plate in a Jointech top; if so I assume the corner radii are the same? If the plate is a Woodpecker and the pre-drilled router mounting holes cause the bit-center to be off center, I would call Woodpecker. My plates have rulers cut into them so having the bit centered is critical to making that feature useful. If there is slop in the mounting holes, I use this method:
- Mount the throat insert that accepts a template bushing. Install a template bushing that comes with a machined alignment pin (cones are usable but a matched set is best). Install the pin in the router and with the mounting screws a bit loose, raise the pin into the template. This should precisely center your router. The challenge now is to tighten things down without shifting about or applying side torque too much.