View Full Version : 10 mm thin wrench / gibs delta planner

Peter Stanley
11-11-2013, 7:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a 10mm thin wrench to fit the gibs on a Delta DC-380 15" planer and 6" jointer, Bought these used didn't have the tool kits with them, went to some of the equipment parts sites, found them on the drawings but they did not have them listed for sale.

Peter

Mark Godlesky
11-11-2013, 8:07 PM
I would just buy a cheap wrench from Harbor Freight or one of the big box stores and grind it down to the desired thickness.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-11-2013, 8:29 PM
I do have a set from Craftsman.

Dave Zellers
11-11-2013, 8:43 PM
I would just buy a cheap wrench from Harbor Freight or one of the big box stores and grind it down to the desired thickness.
That's what I did.

Andy Gibson
11-11-2013, 8:46 PM
The thin wrenches are known as "tappet" wrenches, named for their use in adjusting valve tappet clearances on engines. You might try shopping/searching for one by that name. Alternately, as Mark mentioned above, get a cheapo and break out the grinder... Best of luck, hope this helps....

Mac McQuinn
11-11-2013, 9:06 PM
That's a popular size for Japanese motorcycles, Check the M/C bone yards in your area. The manufacture's tool kits always have a 10mm thin wrench aboard.
Mac

Sam Babbage
11-11-2013, 9:23 PM
It depends a bit on how tight you like your gib screws, I won't say over tighten, but if you like to really tighten the screws then a ground down wrench will spread its jaws pretty quickly (even if you don't overheat it while grinding) and you'll end up stripping the heads. Euro tool makers make hardened thin wrenches, Hazet definitely and Stahlwille maybe. I am speaking from a commercial perspective though, with lots of knives being changed by several workers, maybe for infrequent use grinding down a cheap wrench every now and then would be fine.

Mel Fulks
11-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I've always just ground down a standard wrench ,and for that purpose don't use the lowest grade. Just to make it last longer. As with so many things they don't want to give you any real info ,everything is "be careful". I was advised by an engineer to tighten from center out alternating sides. Then repeat ,again starting in center. They always seem to be looser coming back out. I think the head flexes some .When you remove a knife they always seem looser than I tightened them.I do clean everything well and check for burrs,etc. I float knives .Oiling knives,gibs,and head to better control knives with magnets when changing .

david brum
11-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Here's an alternative if you want to buy one. PARK WRENCH (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CBW-1-Metric-Wrench/dp/B001B6NBBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1384232668&sr=1-1&keywords=park+10mm+wrenches) . We use these at work and they last pretty well.

John Sanford
11-12-2013, 1:19 AM
Here's an alternative if you want to buy one. PARK WRENCH (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CBW-1-Metric-Wrench/dp/B001B6NBBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1384232668&sr=1-1&keywords=park+10mm+wrenches) . We use these at work and they last pretty well.

That's what I was going to suggest. Head to a well stocked Bicycle shop.

Peter Quinn
11-12-2013, 6:12 AM
I have the dc 380', got the tool kit with it from previous owner but the wrench gave up its ghost, I found a fairly thin wrench at an auto parts store and just had to thin it a little to fit. I don't believe the jaws ever spread, the nuts were always sufficiently tight. We do the same for the planers at work. The wrenches dont seem to last forever at that size, the gib screws are fairly hard. No need to go space shuttle on this one.

Matt Day
11-12-2013, 7:15 AM

Park makes great tools for pros or serious cyclists. If you live near a Performance Bicycles store, they have a house brand that is cheaper , called Spin Doctor.

Ask for a 10mm cone wrench.

Kent A Bathurst
11-12-2013, 8:08 AM
.......... tighten from center out alternating sides. Then repeat ,again starting in center......

Yep.

Also - make 2 passes around the head. First pass, just snug. 2d pass, tighten. The point being that you don't want to create unbalanced/unequal stresses on the head. Seems impossible with something that is a big honking mass of steel, but with the grooves cut in it, you want to use reasonable precautions.

Myk Rian
11-12-2013, 8:13 AM
Look for a set of "Ignition" wrenches.

glenn bradley
11-12-2013, 8:25 AM
Bingo. Bike Shop.

Paul M Miller
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
My thin wrench spread and rounded off the bolt heads so I ground down a small pair of vise grips.

jared herbert
11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a vintage delta jointer, when i got it it had the original owners manual with it and a pair of thin, stamped out sheet metal appearing wrenches that I assumed were original equipment that came with it when purchased new. They will work only if the adjusting bolts arent too tight. I had to get a Craftsman wrench and grind it down a little thinner to get mine loose. Jared

Michael W. Clark
11-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I have an older Delta jointer too. I had a set of small C'man wrenches that came in a plastic pouch. Worked perfectly and I have had to use others in the kit too.

Kevin Bourque
11-12-2013, 5:55 PM

Thats exactly what I did. They are short handled too.

Brian W Smith
11-13-2013, 6:00 AM
If you need just one,sounds like the bike shop posted above is the hot ticket.

I posted to say that a few years ago at a cheapo auto parts store we go to....they were selling what,in effect were tappet wrench sets.I snagged a cpl of both, the SAE and Metric.Gave one set away.Kept the other.We have 1/2 dz BIG tool bx/chests.Filled to overflowing with all manner of expensive wrenches/sockets/specialty automotive "stuff".Those little tappet,combo wrenches get used on working equipment more than any other wrenches.The expensive stuff comes out on repairs/rehabs/rebuilds.They were from Taiwan,and have this OD green coating.....very plain looking.

Peter Stanley
11-15-2013, 9:27 AM
Thanks for all the posts and good information, I found a set of wrenches at sears that work great, Just $17.00 for the set, again thank you.

Peter