PDA

View Full Version : Repair and/or Replace Or Buy New ??

Rick Moyer
11-11-2013, 7:08 PM
Here's the situation: 18v Hitatchi cordless drill, 22 position clutch, three batteries NiMh, charger. Batteries are getting worn out, I had dropped drill one time and cracked it where batteries connect but it's functioning just fine; but now charger took a crap (not charging, no lights, but fuse is OK). So, I figure about $100 for a new charger, $150? to get batteries reconditioned. I'd then have a new charger and three batteries better than original, likely, for about $250. OR, just get a new 20v DeWalt lithium drill, with extra battery and charger for similar $$. I think I'm leaning new, since I already have a DeWalt impact that could use the same batteries and charger. But what to do with the older Hitachi stuff then?

Jim Mackell
11-11-2013, 8:26 PM
Bite the bullet and buy new. Put the old stuff on Craig's LIst "as is, where is".

Jim Andrew
11-11-2013, 8:45 PM
I buy new on sale, and sell the old on craigslist. Last year on the before Christmas sales, got a Dewalt kit at Sears, drill, sawsall, and circular saw, with 2 batteries, and picked up an extra drill with 2 batteries also on sale. My Makita batteries have since died, and bought a pair of replacement batteries on ebay. The dewalt is much stronger, and the battery powered sawzall is the best I have had. Also have a Bosch I bought when they had a promotion with an extra pair of batteries, it is 3/8 and works good, but not as heavy duty as the dewalt. I keep a drill bit in the bosch, and my driver in the dewalt.

Alden Miller
11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
It's only a couple of weeks until Black Friday. Try and be at one of the big box stores when they open and you might find an acceptable replacement for a good deal. I did this when I bought my 18v Dewalt drill a couple years ago before the larger ones came out and got a great deal.

-Alden

Brian Libby
11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Buy new! you will not regret it.

Larry Komroff
11-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Might want to try a recon. My Hitachi recon is still going strong after 3 years. Can check out Big Sky Tool http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_DS18DSAL_18V_1.5Ah_Lithium_Ion_Slide_Batte ry_Driver_Drill_(Reconditioned)___i1285.aspx . They do go on sale at times.

Paul McGaha
11-12-2013, 3:56 PM
Just me Rick but I'd buy a new one.

We just bought some Milwaukee battery drills here at my work. Must say they are pretty nice.

I have a couple of 18 volt Makita's in my shop. They're getting some age on them. They're doing ok.

I think Bosch has really nice battery drills too.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Rick Moyer
11-12-2013, 4:18 PM
It's only a couple of weeks until Black Friday. Try and be at one of the big box stores when they open and you might find an acceptable replacement for a good deal. I did this when I bought my 18v Dewalt drill a couple years ago before the larger ones came out and got a great deal.

-AldenI actually live within walking distance to a Lowe's, but I'd rather pay double or do without than succumb to the sheep-herding death march we call Black Friday! But thanks for your suggestion just the same. I probably will go the new route, though, so I'll just have to watch the price point as Christmas gets closer.

Alden Miller
11-13-2013, 8:25 AM
I actually live within walking distance to a Lowe's, but I'd rather pay double or do without than succumb to the sheep-herding death march we call Black Friday! But thanks for your suggestion just the same. I probably will go the new route, though, so I'll just have to watch the price point as Christmas gets closer.

I feel the same way about Black Friday. Since big Orange and big blue are less than a mile from work it's pretty easy to stop by before work and do a quick walk through. I refuse to stand in any lines or wait at the door before the store opens but going through on my way to work doesn't feel as mad as the normal black friday shenanigans.

-Alden

Earl McLain
11-13-2013, 9:41 PM
Bought a reconditioned Hitachi 14.4v from Big Sky a few years ago for $26 shipped--looked new, they were just overstocked at the time. Batteries have started to hold a shorter and shorter charge so I've been waffling for a few months. CPO has the Bosch 18v Li-Ion drill/impact driver combo with 2 L Boxxes for $220 and I got an e-mail on Monday for 11% off. I've sold a few tables in the last month and SWMBO said I should buy something for the shop, so I ended up paying $196. I could have made it through the winter--but my 24 year old son is out of the Air Force and I've been supplying him with some duplicate tools so he'll get what life is left in the Hitachi.

Good luck with your decision!!
earl

Michael Wildt
11-14-2013, 3:47 PM
Just order online and pick up at the store the day after. Beats the rush. On the other hand these big stores will be way less busy than the Malls.

Dan Rude
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Your ACE hardware has the M12 Drill on sale this month for $80. I'm thinking of picking it up just to get the batteries and get a drill besides. Of course I have quite a few M12 tools.:D Dan

Rick Moyer
11-16-2013, 5:34 AM
Leaning toward the DeWalt 790D2, since I already have the impact. That would give me two chargers and four batteries, along with the drill and impact. I know I could just buy the bare tool, but then would have to use the only spare battery in it. I like to have a battery in the tool as well as one ready to go. Just waiting for a good deal to come up.