PDA

View Full Version : Is this cool or what?

Bob Borzelleri
06-05-2005, 3:39 PM
In the yellow corner, coming from too many years of dealing with big business and lacking much in the way of knowledge or incentive to provide adequate coverage or decent customer service to just plain folks, we have the zonker looking Nextel that I have carried around for the last few years which was preceded by an equally dull looking black phone for 7 other years that had similar coverage limitations and "surprise" billings for overages.

In the rather chrome/blue corner we have... What! What do we have here? Could that be Sawmillcreek.org on a telephone? And that svelte looking mini keyboard; could that be for replying to Saw Mill Creek after being gently notified that Jim Becker has replied to one of my more provocative musings?

This is cool (and cheaper than what I was paying at Nextel). As for the phone, I needed a new PDA anyway and this ended up costing less than the PDA I was looking at.

...Bob

Doug Shepard
06-05-2005, 3:54 PM
Beam me up Scotty!

Tim Morton
06-05-2005, 5:56 PM
In the yellow corner, coming from too many years of dealing with big business and lacking much in the way of knowledge or incentive to provide adequate coverage or decent customer service to just plain folks, we have the zonker looking Nextel that I have carried around for the last few years which was preceded by an equally dull looking black phone for 7 other years that had similar coverage limitations and "surprise" billings for overages.

In the rather chrome/blue corner we have... What! What do we have here? Could that be Sawmillcreek.org on a telephone? And that svelte looking mini keyboard; could that be for replying to Saw Mill Creek after being gently notified that Jim Becker has replied to one of my more provocative musings?

This is cool (and cheaper than what I was paying at Nextel). As for the phone, I needed a new PDA anyway and this ended up costing less than the PDA I was looking at.

...Bob

so thats the new "Jim Becker' model PDA i have been hear so much about on "techTV"? First he comes out with his own signature DC, not a PDA...I'm waiting for the JB signature latte maker!!!:eek: And now with him soon to be a "dad"....can a "childrens book" and a line of 'kid friendly" tools be far behind? watch out Martha Stewart:D:D

Jim Becker
06-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Oy, veh...I've been made into a monster!!! :eek: :o

Seriously, I can remember "way back when" in the mid 1980s when I was running a Radio Shack store in a mall when I bought my first cell phone...a huge trunk-mounted affair that originally retailed for over $2495. (I got it on closeout for a bit less, of course...) The next one was also a permanent mount, but a third of the size. At that point, nobody ever thought one would want to use a "car phone" (which was what they were then called) outside of the car! The next phone was the original Motorola flip-phone which was (I actually still have it in a box up above the shop) more than four times the size of the V551 I currently carry. The big difference? The one I have now works almost anywhere in the world. Progress.

Sometimes I wish that the web browsing on my phone was a little better and more like that Treo, but on the other hand, I use speech technologies to retrieve voice, calendar, directory and email messages while traveling. Maybe someday when they perfect the "neural connection" so you can have wide-screen browsing display in your brain from a tiny device embedded in your left buttock... :p ;)

Mark Singer
06-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Whata eva jim said....he knows dis shtuf!

Seriously, I can remember "way back when" in the mid 1980s when I was running a Radio Shack store in a mall when I bought my first cell phone...a huge trunk-mounted affair that originally retailed for over $2495. (I got it on closeout for a bit less, of course...) The next one was also a permanent mount, but a third of the size. At that point, nobody ever thought one would want to use a "car phone" (which was what they were then called) outside of the car! The next phone was the original Motorola flip-phone which was (I actually still have it in a box up above the shop) more than four times the size of the V551 I currently carry. The big difference? The one I have now works almost anywhere in the world. Progress.

Sometimes I wish that the web browsing on my phone was a little better and more like that Treo, but on the other hand, I use speech technologies to retrieve voice, calendar, directory and email messages while traveling. Maybe someday when they perfect the "neural connection" so you can have wide-screen browsing display in your brain from a tiny device embedded in your left buttock... :p ;)

Norman Hitt
06-06-2005, 4:09 AM

Seriously, I can remember "way back when" in the mid 1980s when I was running a Radio Shack store in a mall when I bought my first cell phone...a huge trunk-mounted affair that originally retailed for over $2495. (I got it on closeout for a bit less, of course...) The next one was also a permanent mount, but a third of the size. At that point, nobody ever thought one would want to use a "car phone" (which was what they were then called) outside of the car! (I ;)

Back in 1973 when I was selling Airplanes in Sarasota, Fla, my Boss, (the Sales Mgr.), personally got a dealership for a "Portable Phone", can't even remember the Brand name of it. It came in a Briefcase, and had to be plugged into the Cigarette lighter for power and he thought every businessman would want one, (especially since he had one), and promoted myself and our other acft salesman to sell them for him. I sold three in one day for $4,495, (discounted from Suggested Retail of $4,995) and he was so generous that he gave me $50 for each sale. Quite by accident, I found that he only had to pay $2,495 for them, instead of the $3,995 he had told me), :mad: and needless to say, I never sold anymore for him, and he personally never made a sale at all. :D Operational location was VERY limited at that time also. They have come a long way since then, but until two or three years ago, I couldn't use them, because I couldn't hear what was being said, but now with the volume controlled models I can actually use LOML's (when absolutely necessary....still don't have one for myself, too hard to "Get Lost" when you've got one of those things in your pocket). :D :D

Norman Hitt
06-06-2005, 4:18 AM

Seriously, I can remember "way back when" in the mid 1980s when I was running a Radio Shack store in a mall when I bought my first cell phone...a huge trunk-mounted affair that originally retailed for over $2495. (I got it on closeout for a bit less, of course...) The next one was also a permanent mount, but a third of the size. At that point, nobody ever thought one would want to use a "car phone" (which was what they were then called) outside of the car! (I ;)

Back in 1973 when I was selling Airplanes in Sarasota, Fla, my Boss, (the Sales Mgr.), personally got a dealership for a "Portable Phone", can't even remember the Brand name of it. It came in a Briefcase, and had to be plugged into the Cigarette lighter for power and he thought every businessman would want one, (especially since he had one), and promoted myself and our other acft salesman to sell them for him. I sold three in one day for $4,495, (discounted from Suggested Retail of $4,995) and he was so generous that he gave me $50 for each sale. Quite by accident, I found that he only had to pay $2,495 for them, instead of the $3,995 he had told me), :mad: and needless to say, I never sold anymore for him, and he personally never made a sale at all. :D Operational location was VERY limited at that time also. They have come a long way since then, but when they finally got popular, and until two or three years ago, my hearing had deteriorated just enough that I couldn't use them, because I couldn't hear well enough to understand what was being said, but now with the volume controlled models, they work pretty well. I had to carry one on a job for a while early last year that worked pretty good, and I can actually use LOML's (when absolutely necessary....still don't have one for myself, too hard to "Get Lost" when you've got one of those things in your pocket). :D :D