PDA

View Full Version : Live-edge Avocado Goblets

Brian Kent
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I am posting these for your comments and ideas. These are some experiments in creating live-edge goblets from some avocado.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Robert McGowen
11-12-2013, 7:24 PM
Okay Brian, I will be "that guy." I saw these when you posted them and see that no one has commented, so I will. IMHO, I think that the natural edge defeats the purpose of the turnings being goblets, as they would be very impractical to use. It would be better if the edges were at least level though, because with the edges being so uneven in height, it is hard to realize they are goblets. I think they would be better as elevated M&M holders! Just my $.02.

Eric Gourieux
11-12-2013, 7:59 PM
Brian,
My first thought was that I didn't like them, but I changed my mind. I like the look. IMO, they would look better with a thinner cup, but I like the general effect.

Brian Kent
11-12-2013, 8:33 PM
Potpourri display pedestal?

Thank you Eric and Robert.

Maybe a goblet to help you cut down on drinking?

I could only find a couple of pieces on the internet called "natural edge goblets". Many more called "natural edge pedestal bowls." I agree about the thinner cups. With the super-soft, almost powdery avocado with cracks, I was wondering how far I could push it. I would like to try the form with some hard, dense wood.

Thomas Canfield
11-12-2013, 9:37 PM
Brian,

It does look like your are having fun. The NE bowl on a stem seems like a better name, but it is an unusual look and one to catch attention. Some other wood with a contrast between sap and heart wood would make for a really interesting look. I like the concept. I wish the China Berry given to me last week was 8" D instead of the 4 & 6", but I might try a smaller piece just for fun in the future.

Mike Cruz
11-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Brian, I like that you are being creative and having fun with your artistic side. I do believe that a NE on a goblet renders it "useless", but if they are for display anyway...who cares.

Of the three (I'll use the first pic for reference), I like the one on the right the least. I don't mind that the cup is so wide, but the curve is broken and abrupt and that just doesn't sit well with me...but that is probably just me. I like the one in the middle best. I think you really nailed the shape.

What makes them all seem a bit...chucky, is the rounded edges at the detail points. I know that I have difficulty sometimes when sanding...losing the crispness of turned details. But when that happens, it makes the piece look more "craftlike" and heavy...not as refined.

Keep at it! NE turnings are great sellers. Customers really seem to be drawn to them...even if they can't use them!

Brian Kent
11-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Thank you Mike. Very helpful.

Michael Poorman
11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Brian,

I like the middle and right goblets most. It doesn't bother me that these are MM holders or goblets for those who need to cut back on the booze. I'll say for me, I'd be more drawn to a slender stem. Maybe even a different wood for the stem (I'm partial to really dark woods for this), but the goblet and foot remain avocado? I know that your experimenting and I think you've made a great first step.

My only other thought is that you've turned these in the side grain orientation. I suppose that is why you've made the stem more substantial. Even though hollowing end grain can be a bit more tricky, it would afford you the ability to have a nice dainty (am I allowed to sound like a woman there?) stem.

Again, all in all I like it!

Brian Kent
11-13-2013, 1:00 PM
Thank you Michael.
Two questions:
How can I do natural edge with end grain?
How do you fit the stem to the cup (with different woods)? Put a mortise in one and a tenon on the other? Just glue the end grain of the stem blank to the side grain of the cup?

Mike Cruz
11-13-2013, 1:11 PM
Brian, it is easy to make a NE goblet with end grain orientation...just use the top part of the tree...DUH! :D You do have a point that it is difficult. But if you use burl, then there is no "grain direction". Yes, a mortise and tenon would be the way to attach them. Since both are small, there will be little wood movement and there is little "stress" on something so delicate. So, it should hold just fine. As long as you have a good fit, wood glue will be plenty strong. If not, use epoxy.

And if you have a coring system, or coring tools, if you can core out the goblet part, you can use that as your base...saves wood, and people kinda like it when you tell them how you did that.

Michael Poorman
11-13-2013, 1:19 PM
To achieve a natural edge here is a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYim-qF3AqU) that shows the method much more clearly that I can quickly explain.

As far as hybridizing the different woods / grain orientation, you are correct. Make a mortise and tenon joint in what ever manner is most appropriate for your design. Also, you want to rely on the glue joint being strongest on the sides (long grain) of the M&T joint, not just end grain.

That clear it up?

Brian Kent
11-13-2013, 2:16 PM
Yes, these give the answers I am looking for.

James Combs
11-13-2013, 3:47 PM
Okay Brian, I will be "that guy." I saw these when you posted them and see that no one has commented, so I will. IMHO, I think that the natural edge defeats the purpose of the turnings being goblets, as they would be very impractical to use. It would be better if the edges were at least level though, because with the edges being so uneven in height, it is hard to realize they are goblets. I think they would be better as elevated M&M holders! Just my $.02.
Brian, I am kind of like Robert and am actually on the fence as to whether I like them or not. That being said I made one very similar but solved the "practicality" issue by adding a "glass liner". Here is what I mean. It was a Chalice and Communion set (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205384-Chalice-and-Communion-Bowl&highlight=) for a customer. She wanted a natural edge chalice but I convinced her of the impracticality of it and provided her with this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205384-Chalice-and-Communion-Bowl&highlight=). Something you may want to consider with your next generation of goblets.