PDA

View Full Version : Threshold

bob svoboda
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I need to attach a wooden threshold to a concrete basement floor. What would be the best way to attach it?
Thanks.

Rich Engelhardt
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I use Tapcons.

Jim Rimmer
11-11-2013, 1:24 PM
I glued one down after I installed a wood floor over concrete. It was a urethane glue that I used for the floor (manufacturers recommendation). I would not use it again. If you get a spot on the finished surface your done for. For a threshold you could be careful enough not to get any glue on the surface but for an entire floor it was impossible. Plus the directions said to just wipe it off but that doesn't repair the finish.

Ole Anderson
11-11-2013, 1:48 PM
Plastic expansion plugs, a bit old fashioned, but they work. I have mixed results with Tapcons, but with a steel to concrete mate, there us no room for correction if you get a bit off center. Plastic will give a bit.

Pat Barry
11-11-2013, 1:54 PM
I have used a bit of PL200 or 400 - don't remember which one. Its the kind made for masonry work. I wouldn't recommend a continuous bead though, just tack it in a few locations. The ends for example and a few points in the middle

Brian Elfert
11-11-2013, 2:54 PM
My experience using Tapcons in my concrete floor to secure a treated 2x4 is that they either snapped off or they got stuck and wouldn't go any further. I ended up powder driven fasteners, but not real practical for a nice wood threshold.

Lee Schierer
11-11-2013, 9:36 PM
My experience using Tapcons in my concrete floor to secure a treated 2x4 is that they either snapped off or they got stuck and wouldn't go any further. I ended up powder driven fasteners, but not real practical for a nice wood threshold.

This is usually an indication that the holes was not drilled deep enough for the length of the screw. They recommend at least 1/2" more hole than screw. Like wood screws you can also lubricate the threads with beeswax and the screw drives much more easily.

Rich Engelhardt
11-12-2013, 7:11 AM
My experience using Tapcons in my concrete floor to secure a treated 2x4 is that they either snapped off or they got stuck and wouldn't go any
I found out the hard way that size makes all the difference in the world with Tapcons.
As Lee mentioned, the hole itself has to be about a 1/2" deeper. Tapcon says 1/4". but, that's cutting it too close.
Also, the 3/16" Tapcons are pretty useless.
They snap off way too easy.
I always use the 1/4".

For driving, I drive the fastener in, back it out, drive it in- this time a little deeper, back it out, drive it in.
When you're going in deep with one it's easier to do it in stages rather than try to drive it all the way at one time.

David Hawkins
11-12-2013, 9:24 AM
I have had good luck using urethane glue as long as I use the proper thinner listed on the glue container, (generally mineral spirits). If you don't use the proper thinner it just smears and makes a horrid mess. I ruined a good sweatshirt and a pair of shoes before I learned to read the directions ....again.... :(

Myk Rian
11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I ruined a good sweatshirt and a pair of shoes before I learned to read the directions ....again.... :(
I'm curious how that came about. :D

bob svoboda
11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the great information, folks. Couldn't find Tapcons in our little community, but found a similar product I am going to try.

David Hawkins
11-12-2013, 1:27 PM
Hey! I'm a guy! Not reading directions and making messes is genetic! Or so my wife tells me :rolleyes: