PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

Rich Riddle
11-11-2013, 8:55 AM
To all you Veterans in the Creek, Happy Veterans Day. To the really old ones, happy Armistice Day.

Rod Sheridan
11-11-2013, 9:02 AM
Yes, they would be really old for it to be Armistice Day.

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada, wearing my poppy of course.

When I was alittle kid in the early sixties, my father and I were walking to the cenotaph for the Remembrance Day ceremonies, when I noticed that I had lost my poppy.

I was in tears so my dad gave me his, then I was worried that people would think he wasn't remembering the soldiers who died. He laughed and reasured me that everyone would know that he remembered the soldiers.

Of course it was years later that I realised every one in the small town knew my father, and that they wouldn't think that he would have forgotten the worst four years of his life.

Time to remember those who served, those who died, and hope for a world where one day there will be no veterans.............Regards, Rod.

Paul McGaha
11-11-2013, 9:07 AM
Veterans,

Thank you for serving.

God bless you and your families.

PHM

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2013, 9:50 AM
To my sisters and brothers in arms including 2 of our grandsons and our youngest son.....thanks for serving!

Shawn Pixley
11-11-2013, 11:23 AM
To all the veterans, thanks for your service!

Rich Riddle
11-11-2013, 1:06 PM
Rod,

Thanks for that information. Being a member of the VFW, I wondered how far back the "buddy poppy" went. You offered some insight that it's been a bit longer than the recent past.

Dave Sheldrake
11-11-2013, 1:42 PM
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the sacrifices of far greater men than he will ever be.

John Stuart Mill

Thank you veterans for your service, your sacrifices and my freedoms.

Dave

Rod Sheridan
11-11-2013, 3:51 PM
Rod,

Thanks for that information. Being a member of the VFW, I wondered how far back the "buddy poppy" went. You offered some insight that it's been a bit longer than the recent past.

Rich, the poppy symbol has been with us since 1920 or 21.

Last November 11 I was in Virginia working and many people asked about the lapel poppy I was wearing, I guess they're not that common in the USA?

Here's a photo of mine, the Canadian flag pin isn't proper, I use it instead of a straight pin as I keep sticking myself.....Rod.

Mel Fulks
11-11-2013, 4:10 PM
A charming and poignant anecdote ,Rod. A few years back on NPR a corespondent in England ,who I think was American,did a piece about how differently Memorial Day is observed over there. He mentioned people buying poppies to place on graves and noted they had no "Memorial Day Sales ". It was a pretty somber reflection.

Gordon Eyre
11-11-2013, 8:43 PM
Just wanted to express my thanks to all the veterans. I served for ten years during the Korean and Vietnam era and have always remembered that freedom isn't free.