PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2013, 8:33 AM
11 Nov 2013

Good morning everyone,
I hope this finds each of you doing well. The weather has been perfect for working in the shop and we have our first freeze warning in effect until Wednesday of this week. Gonna need a fire in the woodstove I guess.

Spent Saturday with a young couple and the LOML Jr learning how to make end grain cutting boards. It was a slow process teaching and working with 3 people in my shop, but it was all worth it. I love teaching people how to do what I do. I believe in teaching a "man how to fish" instead of just feeding him a fish. :)

Everyone chipped in a helped to clean up the shop a bit and we all had a really good time. Ever one of them has reminded me since then of just how much they enjoyed working with me in the shop and they want to do it again very soon. It was nice, but also challenging at times working in the shop again after it being a few years since many of those tools were turned on.

Spent Sunday visiting the church that my daughter and her husband attend and then rode motorcycle back home and we all shared a good meal together and then rested the afternoon. All in all....a very nice weekend for many of us.

That's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!

Dale Osowski
11-11-2013, 9:15 AM
Milled some large Burr Oak slabs, 3.5" thick, 48" plus wide, 7' long.

Doug Richardson
11-11-2013, 9:56 AM
Picked up a 56" roll around tool cabinet on Saturday that I had been procrastinating over getting for months, and then removed all the drawers and conned a friend into helping me get it into the basement. He probably won't answer my texts anymore. ;-) Put the drawers back in Sunday morning, and spent the rest of the day doing business related maintenance on equipment.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Kept a low profile as my wife and I both are recovering from a cold that is going around the area.

The wife leaves tomorrow morning to spend 3 1/2 weeks with her 90 year old Mom in Illinois.

Back to my own cooking for a while.

Matt Meiser
11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Friday night went to watch the high school football district championship game which was very close and won in the final seconds. Girls volleyball won their district championship during the football game too. Exciting evening. Trying to take our daughter to more of this stuff to make connections with friends and her future high school.

Saturday had a few hours in the shop and worked on some new cabinetry to do some rearranging to make room to bring my dad's metal lathe over to my shop next weekend. In the evening went to a non-profit fundraiser and rubbed elbows with local doctors, politicians, and CEOs. Wore a suit for the first time in almost 7 years.

Sunday, church, fall yard work--blew the leaves out of some areas, cleaned the mower for winter, put the blade on the tractor, and cleaned up a large pile of needles from a pine tree that sheds and used them to mulch several small pine trees. Then dinner at my parents as usual.

Ken, I must have caught your cold. Been feeling miserable but I can either lie on the couch and feel miserable or just do stuff anyway and feel miserable.

Shawn Pixley
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Sprayed lacquer on an acoustic guitar I made. Took LOML to a movie last night. So, all in all, low key.

Steve Wurster
11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Spent almost all day Saturday with my son (he's 4), as my wife was having a "sewing day" with her friends. We played with toys, did some age-appropriate science experiments, went out to lunch, etc. Great father-son day. :)

Got some shop time on Sunday. Cut rails and stiles to length for the doors and drawer fronts I'm making for a built-in. Thought I was done when I realized I only had half the pieces I needed. :mad: Stupid me didn't interpret my own writing correctly; where my drawing said "x8" for the doors I interpreted that as 8 rails and 8 stiles, not 8 doors. So I grabbed some more boards off the rack (now I know why I had so many extra ones), cut them to rough length and width, and planed them to the proper thickness. Won't be able to groove them and cut them down to proper size until next week. Oh well.

Michael Dunn
11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Spent almost all day Saturday with my son (he's 4), as my wife was having a "sewing day" with her friends.

"Sewing day"? Ew... Yuck... It's amazing how different people, men & women in particular can be.

As for me, my wife went away until Saturday afternoon. Friday I was in the shop until 1:30. Went to lowes to grab some lag screws. Then I picked the kids up from school. Ate 'dinner', then we went to a most sad wake for a (27 year old) friend who was shot and killed last Monday. Was killed after opening up the butcher shop for the days work. So sad.

Saturday, I had the kids in the shop with me. Argh!!! 3 at once is a bit much. Thank God for Netflix on my iPad and later my iPhone when the iPad battery died. I worked on clear coating a coffee table and a media cabinet for a client. I had to come back to install the drawer slides later in the evening as my son had a basketball game.

Sunday, church, then total lazy lay down and do absolutely nothing with the wife and kids. We watched Rattlesnake Republic and other wildlife stuff. Then my wife said, "hey , I know what we can do!" As if what we were currently doing wasn't absolute paradise.

She said, "we can go to my parents house and you can open up the camper... It'll be fun!!"

Yeah, right. Fun? Hasn't been opened in 2+ years. No clue what's in there and I'm the only one who knows how to open it up properly. Yeah... I don't think so. I was exhausted. We later went to Dairy Queen and then continued being lazy.

It was everything I hoped it would be.

joe maday
11-11-2013, 2:39 PM
Just finished up on this side table,