PDA

View Full Version : SawStop blade guard on different saw...

Steve Wurster
11-11-2013, 7:38 AM
Has anyone tried to install a SawStop dust collecting blade guard on a saw that wasn't a SawStop? Or more importantly, on a contractor's style saw with the motor hanging out the back and the fixed splitter that comes up from behind the table?

The dust collecting guard for the SawStop looks nice because it supposedly collects a lot of dust thanks to its design. It also appears to have independent sides, which means if I'm ripping just a small slice off a board only the right hand side of the guard goes up. My saw predates the split guard concept, so the whole thing is always going up and down.

I've hooked up a dust collection line to a different guard already, but the guard I used is big, without independent sides, and with a poor location for the DC hose. So the dust collection is lacking. I've looked at the Shark Guard, but with a multiple month wait I was wondering about the SawStop guard. Plus the Shark Guard is a one-piece unit, so again no independent sides. It's also more expensive, but of course it comes with its own splitter.

I know the SawStop guard is designed for a true riving knife that goes up and down with the blade, but I was hoping I could find a way to retrofit it onto my splitter assembly. I figured worst case I could order it from Amazon and just return it if it's obvious that there's no way I could get it to fit. But I was hoping that maybe somebody on the Creek has seen or done this already.

Thanks.