PDA

View Full Version : Christmas commission

Kelvin Burton
11-10-2013, 9:26 PM
I got a commission to produce 3 of these for a friend to give as Christmas gifts. It's my first time to do pyrography beyond some simple practice items - no room for mistakes! Wood is Ash, rim is coated with black lacquer then silver Rub'n'Buff then wiped clean. Overall finish is Danish Oil and buffed. Size is 9 3/4" by 3/4".

C&C welcome!

David C. Roseman
11-11-2013, 8:26 AM
Very nice, Kelvin. I'd say with work that pretty, you could probably get away with a mistake or two and no-one would notice. Except maybe misspelling!

David

Dale Gillaspy
11-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I really like it, but I'm going to offer one bit of constructive criticism, if you don't mind. Next time, I would consider using a wood with less distinctive grain. The deep grain in woods like Ash and Oak work great with the color, but fight with the pyrography. Excellent execution. Just my 2 cents.

Bob Bergstrom
11-11-2013, 3:59 PM
Great job. You can make your own Rub n Buff by mixing mica powders (Pearl Ex) with paste wax. Much cheaper and not a dried out tube. There about twenty five various colors of Pearl Ex. Many are dichomic which can show two different colors if viewed from different perspectives. They will be most effective in the light when used with a black substrate.

Mark Detrick
11-12-2013, 2:04 PM
Very Nice. I really like the rim treatment!