PDA

View Full Version : Puriri bowl from a Christmas Gift

Kelvin Burton
11-10-2013, 8:09 PM
During a Christmas trip to NZ last year I had the pleasure of meeting up with two woodturners in Auckland, Ian Outshoorn and Terry Scott, both great Kiwis and very skilled turners! Terry gave me a box of wood to bring back to our club in East Texas and Ian loaded me down with all sorts of goodies. One of these was a rough turned Puriri bowl blank which was well sealed! Being partly turned saved me luggage weight - and allowed me to pick up more wood in Australia on the way home!! :D

The finished bowl is 10" by 3". Finished with Tung Oil and satin spray lacquer. I filled the small crackes with epoxy casting resinh tinted black with Inlace dye. What a painful process :( The epoxy is so thin it goes everywhere except where you want it and when you think it's cured and sand it down it shrinks back below the surface. It will be CA glue again for me on future projects!

C&C welcome

charlie knighton
11-10-2013, 8:57 PM
like your rim treatment, great wood.............need to treat your bottom as you did your rim
very nice......envy your experience in a capt cook waypoint

robert baccus
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
I like the bowl, shape and wood. From down there huh--bet it made sparks when turning. For epoxy crack filling try 5-minute epoxy in the syringe double tubes. It is much thicker and a few drops of black dye does not seem to thin out the viscosity. Put a piece of masking tape over the epoxy once it is filled to eliminate the runs. Epoxy is so much easier to shape/sand than CA.

jared herbert
11-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Just a question, did you have any problems [obviously not] bringing the raw wood back through customs and agriculture inspections? I am going to Maui this winter and would like to bring back some small chunks of tropical woods that a friend will supply to me, and didnt know about hand carrying or packing in checked luggage and getting it back through the ag inspections. They seem to be quite strict about that sort of thing there. thanks Jared

Kelvin Burton
11-12-2013, 1:10 PM
Jared, where do you live? That will be the determining factor.

2 things to avoid: bark and worm holes! Assuming you live in the US, Hawaii should be less troublesome given that it's part of the US (will you even go through customs and ag?) but it may depend on the state you land in. Here's the link for what you have to consider when arriving in the US from overseas. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1166/related/1/~/importing-wood-products-into-the-united-states