PDA

View Full Version : No. 45 Combination Plane

Richard Line
11-10-2013, 7:47 PM
I've just received a Stanley 45 Combination plane from the on-line auction place. This was a 'buy it now' purchase, about $50 including shipping. I've done some clean up, dis-assembly and re-assembly. I think this is from 1908 - 1914 (Type 9 - 11). Took it on a trial run in a piece of Hem-Fir, and was very pleased with its performance cutting a 1/4 x 1/4 groove. This was without sharpening the blade. There are a few parts missing, slitter, cam stop, and the nicker for the sliding section. Only 1 blade, but it is the 1/4" plow I wanted. I've also down loaded a copy of the Stanley manual.

My main question has to do with sharpening the blade. As best as I could measure the bevel on it is in the 35 to 40 deg. range. No micro bevel. What is the recommended or suggested bevel for a plow/rabbet blade.

Any other tips, or better links, on use and set-up of a 45. Are hollow and round blades in the 1/2" range usable without the special bottoms.

Bill Houghton
11-10-2013, 9:45 PM
On most bevel down planes, the sharpening angle's not critical, as long as it's steep enough (higher number) for a strong cutting edge. 25 degrees used to be the standard recommendation, but I've noticed Lee Valley uses 30 degrees on its aftermarket irons.

Stanley still sells some fluting cutters, which will work on the plane without any special skates: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/flutingcutters.html . You're limited to 3/8", so it's definitely fluting, rather than hollow (narrow rather than wide, in other words). You use them in the body alone, with no skate mounted. I've found them helpful at times.

Jim Koepke
11-11-2013, 12:24 AM
That is a pretty good gloat even with parts missing.

30 degrees is a good compromise angle.

Any way to post some pictures?

jtk

Jim Belair
11-11-2013, 8:30 AM
If at some point you are looking for another blade or two the ones for the Veritas plough will fit. They're shorter so only have 3/8" or so life in them but this will still be enough to cut a lot of grooves.

Adam Maxwell
11-11-2013, 10:31 AM
For what it's worth, I only use my #45 as a plough, and it does a good job at that (though I've been reaching for a wedge-arm or a #46 more often lately). Though I have all the parts, I've never used the ones you're missing. Several of my irons still have the factory grind, and the angle is at 35˚ (later vintage than yours; 1930s, I'd guess).

Re: hollow and round usage, I followed conventional wisdom and use wooden ones (some vintage, some that I made), so only use the combination planes with square edge blades. Having said that, you can make blades of any size and profile for the #45 in a few minutes, with a hacksaw, file, and some O-1 steel. Usual heat treatment required, of course. This would be an inexpensive way to play with profiled irons in the #45.

Richard Line
11-11-2013, 2:57 PM
I just knew there would be a demand for pictures. Should have put some up to start with. Well here are a few.

Thanks for the advise on the blade angle. I will probably first just hone it at the present angle, try it again and then re-sharpen it to 30 deg, which is what I had been thinking of going with. Thanks for the tip that the LV blades also fit. I've looked at the Stanley replacement parts and saw there are some blades available. Being able to use the LV blades does expand the selection.

I'm probably going to try a bit more clean up, maybe just soap and water with a good brushing.

Peter Stahley
11-13-2013, 1:25 AM
I'm not sure if it's compattible, but I've got a stanley #46 "parts plane"... If your'e interested in any of getting any of the missing parts you need from that, let me know with a PM.