PDA

View Full Version : My latest box

Glen Blanchard
06-05-2005, 2:49 PM
I display most of my boxes in my office - many in the reception room. In any event, I have had a few patients wanting to buy some of them, and one in particular who wants to give one to her husband as a birthday gift. I told her I would make a few and let her see if one of them catches her eye. Here is the the most recent effort. Plan on showing this to her this week.

Just thought I'd share.

Greg Heppeard
06-05-2005, 2:56 PM
Nice ! ! !

Jim Becker
06-05-2005, 3:20 PM
Kinda Texas inspired??? :D Seriously, that's a beautiful box, Glen. I like the way the splines were done, too...they add that little bit of extra interest to the whole project.

Dan Forman
06-05-2005, 3:36 PM
Is that a smile on top of the box? Very nice indeed.

Dan

Jim Dunn
06-05-2005, 6:31 PM
That is indeed a beautiful box. I don't think she needs to look any farther than that one.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-06-2005, 5:48 AM
The splines caught my eye right away, too. Nice detail. :-)

John Hart
06-06-2005, 6:48 AM
Kinda Texas inspired??? :D Seriously, that's a beautiful box, Glen. I like the way the splines were done, too...they add that little bit of extra interest to the whole project.

At first glance, I thought "Asian"...then a little on the American Indian side (New Mexico)...Then I thought "hook 'em horns". A little bit for everyone in there. Absolutely gorgeous Glen. My parents would love it. How much?

Alan Turner
06-06-2005, 7:40 AM
Nice box, Glen. BSE Maple and Purpleheart?

How did you cut such thin recesses for the corner splines? Does the "stripe" on the top consist of a 3 piece glue-up, or is it inset?

Is the inside of the box shaped to follow the shape of the outside?

The only boxes I have made are just 3/8" old (coad bn) heart pine with DT'd corners to hold blocks for all the kids in my family and extended family, but nothing which one could call refined, so I am a bit curious as I have a barrel of shorts, etc., which hit the fireplaces all to often.

Charlie Jones
06-06-2005, 7:42 AM
Really nice. I like the lid

Gary Whitt
06-06-2005, 9:07 AM
Nice looking "Texas Longhorn" ;) box ! :D

Glen Blanchard
06-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Nice box, Glen. BSE Maple and Purpleheart?

Yep.

How did you cut such thin recesses for the corner splines? Does the "stripe" on the top consist of a 3 piece glue-up, or is it inset?

The slipfeathers (or keys, depending on your terminology) were cut on the bandsaw. I have always preferred very thin keys for my boxes and for a long time have been trying to find an efficient method for producing them. Some folks use a hand saw to cut thin kerfs like this, but that is too time-consuming for me and is more difficult. Not long ago, it occured to me that the bandsaw might be a good solution, and recently built a jig for it. I used a resaw blade for my first attemtp and the kerfs were way too rough (DUH!) I called the folks at Suffolk and got their advice on the corect blade. I needed one that cut very smoothly and left a clean kerf. They recommended a 3/8" x 14RK blade and it works wonderfully. Don't think I will ever go back to using the table saw for this operation.

Having a jig for the bandsaw makes this a very quick and preciese operation as the depth of cut can be determined by proper placement of a stop block on the band saw table - thus all the kerfs can be uniform.

The stripe on the lid is a lamination glue-up, not an inlay.

Is the inside of the box shaped to follow the shape of the outside?

Inside of the box is all right angles and straight lines.

Thanks for looking.

Glen Blanchard
06-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the kind words y'all. I was attempting a slight "Asian" feel for this box, which apparently came through a bit, but I will have to re-think the shape of the handle I guess. Don't know if the Far East and Longhorns go well together. :p

Glen Blanchard
06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
At first glance, I thought "Asian"...then a little on the American Indian side (New Mexico)...Then I thought "hook 'em horns". A little bit for everyone in there. Absolutely gorgeous Glen. My parents would love it. How much?

Thanks John. I think the keys having that alternating depth gives it that Southwest feel. I sense that as well every time I cut the keys in that manner.

As to price, I have no idea whatsoever!!!! I don't know what I have in it for materials and do not keep track of the time. It is just not important to me as these are done for the joy of doing them - not in an attempt to make a buck. Any suggestions anyone for a price?

I think I may just present her with the box (assuming she likes this one) and tell her to pay me what she thinks it is worth to her.

Mark Singer
06-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Beautiful....original and well executed!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2005, 1:21 PM
Beautiful box Glen!