PDA

View Full Version : Maitland Carpentry Shop Museum

Mike Hutchison
11-10-2013, 7:34 AM
A few years ago I went to a MWTCA Tool Show in Maitland, FL.
Had a good time and got to meet Phil (The Saw Man) Baker and he spent a good deal of his time
telling me about saws, his early career in Mass. building / remodeling houses with his dad, etc.
Really interesting and an informative primer for me on saws (collecting).
Phil sold or about gave me a nice little Disston w/ nib. Also bought a nice Bailey No. 5 that day.
Worst part of the day was trying to get what I had purchased to the truck;
it was raining pretty good. Anyway, I never took much notice that the pavement through
the parking lot of the civic center which the meet was held in kept going around Lake Lily.
Back to the present: was looking on internet to see if MWTCA would be doing the meet there in Maitland (NW corner of Orlando) again and stumbled onto something about the Waterhouse Carpentry Shop Museum. It is located on around the little road I had not taken.
Friday the 8th I'm MOL caught up so I get in the Ranger and head North to check
a place in Brooksville that has a fair amount of tools-Power and Hand. Nothing I can use; head East through the Withlacoochee State Forest to Maitland.
I make it there about 45 min. before they close.The museum is a little wood cottage with decent amount of light showing through the siding boards.
Once inside it is like you're home. Big solid bench, a few of Mr. Waterhouse's tools in a chest
with glass over it. The tools on display/careful hands on have all been donated. Including a
Stanley No. 55. The 55 was under the bench, almost didn't see it. Molding planes, transitionals, lots of chisels, hand saws, logging saws, treadle scroll/jig saw. The whole place was about 15' x 25' but who cares; it was more than a worthwhile woodchuck experience. Anybody in Central Fl or going to Orlando, I would recommend it. $2 admission and I had to remind the young lady I had not ponied up. Guess that was because I kinda conned her into letting me in the shop and completely bypassing the residence. Then I tagged along/went back in when part of the regular group went through the shop. All this babbling to apologize for no self-taken pix; these two were kiped from Orlando Sentinel.

Mike Hutchison
11-11-2013, 7:48 AM
Neglected to mention they seem eager for volunteer demonstrators

Ben Beckham
11-11-2013, 3:40 PM
I've lived here for 8 years and somehow never knew about this place. My office is 0.8 miles from here. I will be going to visit over lunch one day this week.