PDA

View Full Version : Shop improvement – the other side

Bruce Page
06-05-2005, 1:40 PM
Many of you know that I have machine shop stuff sharing space with my woodworking stuff. A couple of weeks ago I decided to upgrade my vertical mill with a set of digital read out’s. I ordered a set of Mitutoyo glass scale DRO’s from a company called CAN-DO Machinery in So-Cal that specializes in DRO’s and inspection equipment. The “X” axis scale is 36” long and the “Y” axis is 16”. Installation was tediously fussy but pretty straight forward. The glass scales are capable of 5 places to the right of the decimal, (I have it set to 4) but to get that accuracy, they have to be set up dead straight and square to the working axis.
So anyway, here’s a few pic’s of the new toy. :rolleyes:

Byron Trantham
06-05-2005, 1:56 PM
Bruce I hope that puppy came with a manual! :D It really is impressive, congrats.

Keith Outten
06-05-2005, 3:17 PM
Bruce,

My little bench mill is going to look just like your machine if I can ever afford to let it grow up :)

The DRO's are extremely nice!

Dan Forman
06-05-2005, 3:43 PM
I have no idea what any of that stuff is, but it sure looks cool!

Dan

Christian Aufreiter
06-05-2005, 4:18 PM
I have no idea what any of that stuff is, but it sure looks cool!

Dan

That's exactly what I thought. I wonder why you don't already have a digital readout on your tablesaw. ;)

Regards,

Christian

Mike Cutler
06-05-2005, 5:35 PM
I bet you can cut some really tight dovetails with that setup. Nice stuff Bruce. I've always liked the machinist, and their toys at work, even if they do kid me about needing no more than a yardstick for woodworking accuracy. :rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
06-05-2005, 6:28 PM
At least you can read that DRO. My height set is a vernier scale and I think some one changed the numbers to something akin to very,very tiny numbers:eek:. Old age wouldn't have anything to do with it would it:confused: Would love to have the space for my old jig bore even with the vernier scale it would be a treat to use instead of my drill press.

Roy Wall
06-05-2005, 6:33 PM
Hey Bruce,

Does this mean you can flatten and square a hand plane to 0.00001 ?

Impressive to say the least!!!

Bruce Page
06-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey Bruce,

Does this mean you can flatten and square a hand plane to 0.00001 ?

Impressive to say the least!!!
Roy, maybe to .001 but it still wouldn't be as nice as Terry H's work - I have checked his work out!

Jim, I know what you mean, I have a Starrett 24" height guage that requires me to put on the old Opti-Visors to read.:rolleyes: