PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Tile or brick

Kevin Hirata
11-10-2013, 1:50 AM
I've been reading past threads regarding lasering on tile or brick. I'd like to give it a shot, but I have one concern. Is there any danger of the tile or brick exploding while being lasered? If not, is there anything else I should be aware of in terms of either hurting myself, or my engraver?

Thanks,

Kevin

Dan Hintz
11-10-2013, 7:53 AM
Is there any danger of the tile or brick exploding while being lasered?

Depends upon the type of brick. Concrete has a high chance of chip explosions, things with high levels of quartz. Anything clay-based should be good.

AL Ursich
11-10-2013, 8:04 PM
Depends upon the type of brick. Concrete has a high chance of chip explosions, things with high levels of quartz. Anything clay-based should be good.

Dan, didn't know it could explode..... Good to know... :)

AL

Kevin Hirata
11-10-2013, 8:32 PM
Thanks Dan.

Kev Williams
11-10-2013, 9:19 PM
I tried etching a piece of polished black onyx in my 25w ULS years ago, never again. The 'chip explosions' were severe enough that I shut the machine down within about 5 seconds. It was like a mini fireworks show. My lens is still all scratched up from those 5 seconds.

Dan Hintz
11-11-2013, 8:02 AM
I tried etching a piece of polished black onyx in my 25w ULS years ago, never again. The 'chip explosions' were severe enough that I shut the machine down within about 5 seconds. It was like a mini fireworks show. My lens is still all scratched up from those 5 seconds.

Yep... quartz.