PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Party Bowl

Kathy Marshall
11-09-2013, 9:48 PM
This is the 1st thing I've turned in weeks, I've been keeping busy with other things and haven't really missed my turning time, but now that I have more time on my hands I'll be getting back to it.
A couple of weeks ago I picked up some big pieces of ash and the tree trimmers asked if I would turn something for the owner of the ash tree. They suggested a chip n dip bowl. So after replacing my chain saw (that's another story), I cut a slab off one of the biggest pieces, manhandled it on the bandsaw (it weighed about 60#) and cut out a 16" blank. I had to shave it in a few spots to get it to clear the ways, but finally got it spinning freely.
I turned it over several days in short sessions, a few more days on sanding then today carved the feet and started applying walnut oil.
Since the inner bowl is raised on a pedestal of sorts, I hollowed out the base a bit so there wouldn't be such a thick section of wood at the bottom. Hopefully it will dry without cracking.

It's 15" x 5" with the 1st of several coats of walnut oil. Nothing fancy about the wood or bowl, but it's the biggest chip n dip bowl I've turned.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Mike Cruz
11-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Very cool, Kathy. I've been meaning to turn one of these, and keep forgetting. Thanks for posting. You've resparked my interest!

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Wow - that is quite the bowl! I am sure the new owner will love it! Glad to hear you will be getting in some turning time! Sounds like you need a change of pace!! Have fun!

Steve Mawson
11-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Like the way you did the bottom, not sure I would have put that much effort into it. Bet the folks will like it.

Dennis Ford
11-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Very nice bowl, it will hold lots of chips.

Allan Ferguson
11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Looking good! Allan

Lee Koepke
11-11-2013, 8:57 AM
I have that on my list! Actually, I have a friend that does pottery and its my intention to turn the bowl and pedestal and let her make a ceramic dip bowl to rest on the pedastal (for easier cleaning ?) If/When I get my chainsaw running I have some logs crying to get turned ....

Doug Herzberg
11-11-2013, 8:19 PM
Now that's a big ash bowl. Sorry, I'm surprised someone else didn't already go there. Looking good, Kathy.

Kathy Marshall
11-11-2013, 8:40 PM
Thanks guys!
It was a good warm-up for my next piece which I'm working on now.

Gus Dundon
11-12-2013, 4:44 PM
Cool!You do some beautiful work! Nicely turned wood bowl!

Mark Patoka
11-12-2013, 9:56 PM
Very nice. I have a big hunk of cherry I'm thinking of doing something very similar with.

Mike Cruz
11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Again, thank you, Kathy, for posting this. I had a piece sitting outside my shop door that I've been needing to get to. Put it on the lathe tonight, and started at it. As I was doing the outside curve, BOOM! it hit me...a chips and dip bowl...just like Kathy's!!!! Well, not just like it, but this piece was perfect for it. Lots of figure/crotch and the roughout was 16.5" x 4+". Its sitting in the bath. I look forward to finishing her up in a month or so. One of the small changes I'm planning on making is buying a small ceramic or glass bowl to insert into the middle dip area. That way, the customer can just pull that out to wash it. That is, IF I find one the right size. Probably would have been smart to buy that small glass dish FIRST... :o

Jim Seyfried
11-13-2013, 8:58 AM
I really like the concept and appearance of this bowl Kathy. But from first seeing it I have been curious if the walnut oil finish (or any finish) will be durable enough for the dip holder, if it is frequently used. Perhaps it is, I would like to know more, what has your experience shown? As the previous post has mentioned, I thought a small glass/ceramic bowl insert might work. But then again it might not be needed.