PDA

View Full Version : 3D Software and Chinese Lasers

Walt Langhans
11-09-2013, 7:16 PM
Hey guys!

I've been using corel draw x5 and the laserworks plugin to make stuff on my Shenui. Most of what I make are 3D structures (think model train scenery) and I've gotten pretty good at seeing something 3D in my head and putting together in the 2D Corel. However, I've been debating about moving into a 3D design program but I have 2 concerns:

1/ Corel Draw to laserworks is a simple click of a button I want something that would integrate as seamlessly (this is the most important concern).
2/ A simple to learn 3D design program. I'm by no means an engineer with CAD experience, but I'm pretty decent at figuring things out.

Thoughts / advice?

Thanks!

Rich Harman
11-09-2013, 7:53 PM
I do not believe you will find any 3d design program to satisfy #1.

SketchUp is very easy to learn and can be used to export DXFs which are then opened in Corel, it certainly would satisfy #2. I recently learned that the free version of Sketchup (called Sketchup Make now) explicitly prohibits it being used for commercial purposes, so you would have to purchase Sketchup Pro if you wish to be above board.

Walt Langhans
11-10-2013, 6:00 PM
I do not believe you will find any 3d design program to satisfy #1.e

I kind of figured that would be the case...

Dave Sheldrake
11-10-2013, 7:34 PM
Save in Corel as an AutoCad2000 DXF format Walt, most 3d programs will import that just fine. (I just tried it with Solidworks,Rhino and autocad(full 3d version) and all worked.

cheers

Dave

Kev Williams
11-10-2013, 9:23 PM
"integrating seamlessly"... now there's something I doubt I'll ever experience! ;)

Walt Langhans
11-10-2013, 9:38 PM
Save in Corel as an AutoCad2000 DXF format Walt, most 3d programs will import that just fine. (I just tried it with Solidworks,Rhino and autocad(full 3d version) and all worked.

cheers

Dave

I meant designing in a 3D program then having it go / get converted easily to something that my laserwork program can handle.

"integrating seamlessly"... now there's something I doubt I'll ever experience! ;)

yeah no kidding right, lol!