PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly edge sander G1531 is it worth $350

Jaromir Svoboda
11-09-2013, 6:38 PM
Hi, I saw grizzly edge sander for sale for $400,it is used, but in good condition. I think I can get it for $350.It will be mine first edge sander, is it worth money or should I keep looking? Anybody have any experience with this sander? Thank you.

David C. Roseman
11-09-2013, 6:56 PM
I've had one for over 20 yrs and like it. Make sure it tracks the belt well.

David

Rick Fisher
11-09-2013, 8:07 PM
Edge sanders are one of those tools that you buy, start to use, and wonder how you got by without one ?
They are really loud and really messy.. Dust collection is a requirement, even though it will seem like its not actually working ..

Wade Lippman
11-09-2013, 9:15 PM
I got one 6 months ago. It works fine and $350 would be a great buy. I haven't used it as much as I expected; my old $200 Rigid would have been just as good. If you need it more than I apparently did, grab it, as they don't come up often.

Aleks Hunter
11-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I own a shop fox w1688 edge sander, It was dirt cheap used, and I soon found out why. The Grizzly is quite similar likely from the same factory, and the new ones int he Grizzly site look like they have addressed the shop fox sanders main shortcoming, the fact that the table is mounted via sheet metal to the sheet metal body of the machine. the sander still gets plenty of use, but as edge sanders go the shop fox leaves something to be desired.
Anyway, if the one you;re looking at has the heavier iron mount for the table with the big handwheel to set the angle, its well worth 300-400 dollars. As otyhers have said, you're going to need some pretty serious dust collection, these things make clouds of the stuff.

David C. Roseman
11-10-2013, 9:55 AM
I own a shop fox w1688 edge sander, It was dirt cheap used, and I soon found out why. The Grizzly is quite similar likely from the same factory, and the new ones int he Grizzly site look like they have addressed the shop fox sanders main shortcoming, the fact that the table is mounted via sheet metal to the sheet metal body of the machine. the sander still gets plenty of use, but as edge sanders go the shop fox leaves something to be desired.
Anyway, if the one you;re looking at has the heavier iron mount for the table with the big handwheel to set the angle, its well worth 300-400 dollars. As otyhers have said, you're going to need some pretty serious dust collection, these things make clouds of the stuff.

Aleks, your Shop Fox W1688 is a different machine. The G1531 that the OP is looking at has used the big handwheel and lead screw in a cast iron bracket, and cast iron trunnions, to support the table since Grizzly first brought it in. I bought mine in the late 1980s.

David

Aleks Hunter
11-10-2013, 4:02 PM
The Grizzly is definitely a better setup. Like I said I got it cheap . very very cheap so can't grouse too much.

Cary Falk
11-10-2013, 4:35 PM
I would buy it. My brother got one off of CL and I haven't heard any complaints. I have the Jet OES and use it more than I thought.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-10-2013, 8:40 PM
I did pass. I will wait for something more heavy duty. Thank you.