PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box is finished

Craig Salyers
06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Hello everyone. I wanted to make my wife a very unique jewelry box, and this is what I can up with. The body was made from a 8/4 hard maple board. The drawer fronts and legs are made from dark walnut. The drawers themselves are made from a 4" wood tube I found at woodworkers supply. It is finished with 2 coats of Danish oil and 2 coats of water-based poly.

If I make another one, there are lots of things I would do differently. First of all, I would make the drawers myself. I would make them smaller and possible different sizes (I was not ready to try bent lamination when I started this project, so i took the easy way out). I would also use thinner boards (but more of them) to make the body. I would also stack them differently to get a more interesting look from the side.

Anyway, I posted several questions while making this and the feedback was priceless. Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Wes Newman
06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Craig, Great looking jewelry box, what are the dimensions?

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2005, 1:02 PM
Nice work, very unusual design. Nice to see different styles of work. Thanks for showing us.

Corey

Byron Trantham
06-05-2005, 1:59 PM
Craig, very nice looking. How on earth did you make those cylindrical drawers? :confused:

Jim Becker
06-05-2005, 3:21 PM
That's really kewel, Craig!! Unique!

Dan Forman
06-05-2005, 3:34 PM
Very interesting! I bet she's the only one on her block to have one. Love to see creative adaptation in woodworking.

Dan

Craig Salyers
06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for a nice comments.

The "box" is 25" high, 9" wide at the base, and 8" deep (including the protruding drawers).

I cheated to make the drawers. They are made from a 4" hollow, red oak tube that I found at Woodworkers supply at https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=903-580&LARGEVIEW=ON. I cut them to length and then in half on the band saw. I made ends out of 1/4" red oak and glued them in place using a piece of wood inside to hold them in place. Then I screwed on the 3/4" walnut front.

Next time I would like to use bent lamination to make the drawers myself. I was thinking about using a couple pieces of PVC pipe as a form. Any thoughts on that?

Norman Gallaher
06-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Great looking box and one of the largest ones I have seen. Next time try book matching the ends.