PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between...

Sean Troy
11-09-2013, 9:45 AM
A home theater receiver and a stereo receiver?

glenn bradley
11-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Multi-channel processing? I do long for the days of powerful, discreet receivers that the mere mortal could afford. Had I known that the audiophile was to become an endangered species, I would have kept more stuff :D

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
The best way to find out is to go to an electronics store and have them demo it to you.

David Weaver
11-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Multi-channel processing? I do long for the days of powerful, discreet receivers that the mere mortal could afford. Had I known that the audiophile was to become an endangered species, I would have kept more stuff :D

On the bright side of it, though, mere mortals can afford McIntosh equipment because it's sold by more than one place. My wife is anti audiophile, but I personally like plain old stereo sound with as little distortion as possible, and if there is some, I'd like it to be from vacuum tubes.

Jamie Buxton
11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
The good old stereo receiver generally has an AM-FM tuner and two amplifier channels. An A/V receiver generally has five or more amplifier channels. It may also have internal A/D converters so that it can accept digital signal streams. It may have facilities for switching video streams. Generally, A/V receivers are physically larger than stereo receivers, and put out more heat.

Brian Elfert
11-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Most home theater receivers today offer HDMI switching and typically have 5:1 or 7:1 surround sound capabilities. When one chooses DVR or DVD or other video input on the receiver it automatically sends the correct video output to the TV. Some of the low end home theater receivers only have HDMI inputs and don't even have the traditional inputs a typical receiver had in the past.

I am not an audiophile by any means, but I saw a huge improvement when I switched from using the TV speakers to connecting to a receiver and speakers instead. I paid about $150 for the speakers and another $150 or so for the receiver. My receiver is about 10 years old so it doesn't have video switching, but it does have digital audio inputs and 5:1 surround. I'm not sure I would even notice the differences between my speakers and $1000 speakers.

Shawn Pixley
11-09-2013, 12:10 PM

I hear you. I've replaced most of my audiophile equipment over the years. The only thing I still have is my speakers. I had to re-foam them a few years ago but they are still great. The biggest problem is their size. I'd hate to have to replace them with an audio equivelent. I don't think I could afford it anymore.

Jim Matthews
11-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Home theater receivers need to process data from downloads, streaming or a DVD/BluRay disc that includes 5.1 channels of audio.
The most complete home theater "receivers" have sufficient power to drive all five channels (with the front center channel the most important, that's where dialog is in the final mix)
but will have an output channel for subwoofers. Subwoofers have big motors and require considerable current to drive.

You'll find lots of background data on dedicated sites, such as AVS (http://www.avsforum.com/).

Were I shopping, I would only consider devices that have simple remote controls and automated setup.
The fiddly business of setting up an overly complex Meridian system drove me to buy an integrated "soundbar" system from Philips
which has been more than adequate. Less stuff for my kids to knock over, and hockey games sound amazing.

+1 on Vacuum tube power amplifiers.
My monoblocks just came on line, and it's a welcome change.

Just in time for heating season, too!

Myk Rian
11-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Would anyone like to purchase a Pioneer PL-71 Turn Table?
I bought it new from Lafayette Radio, back in the 70s.
Yeah. Remember those days?

Mel Fulks
11-09-2013, 2:49 PM
Still using pioneer pl 12d

Shawn Pixley
11-09-2013, 3:30 PM
Would anyone like to purchase a Pioneer PL-71 Turn Table?
I bought it new from Lafayette Radio, back in the 70s.
Yeah. Remember those days?

Execept for hign end audiophiles, it can be very difficult to find a receiver with the preamped phono input anymore.

Myk Rian
11-09-2013, 5:05 PM
I have a Lafayette receiver I can also sell with it.
A little extra cash, of course.

Bruce Volden
11-09-2013, 5:32 PM
Here I thought I was the only "hoarder"--I am still hanging on to my JBL Century 100's and a set of L-166's.

And they're not even hooked to anything!!!!

Bruce

Sean Troy
11-09-2013, 8:46 PM
Thanks all. I'll do some research on the Home theater receivers. It would be mostly used for surround.