PDA

View Full Version : Air assist

Jerome Stanek
11-08-2013, 6:52 PM
I just got a Gweike laser and it came with an air pump when I hooked it up I noticed it pulses when it is running I was wondering if I use my big compressor I can regulate it down would that work better. What is the best pressure to run it at

Mark Sipes
11-08-2013, 6:59 PM
My 2¢ 10-15 psi should work great. The key is to keep the material from flaring up and yet not blow it into the next county.

Paul Minichbauer
11-08-2013, 7:06 PM
Does it say on the original pump what the output pressure is? It should be best to match that.

Dave Sheldrake
11-08-2013, 8:14 PM
The hilea pumps manage around 3 psi

Air does so much more than just keeping flameouts down, with the correct flow and standoff they can increase cutting ability by 20%.

I run most of mine with a 2mm exit nozzle and 10psi for the best results on a 3mm standoff.

cheers

Dave

John Bion
11-09-2013, 3:07 AM
If you are cutting plywood/wood, you need a great deal more air than the little Hilea pumps can manage. It would definitely be a good idea to use your big compressor - but do remember to have a good water/oil trap (depending on your compressor) or you may end up fouling/cracking your lens. One of my Hilea pumps is gathering dust, the other is now giving air to my children's fish tank.
Kind regards, John

Rodne Gold
11-09-2013, 10:39 AM
I have never liked radial air assist from the nozzle (which is normally the type that includes the lens.) I have always either use a directed nozzle external from the lesn box/nozzle.
Radial seems to make a radial mess with the melt or dross and the use of an external nozzle means you dont have to bother to be anal about water and oil traps.
Here's the mod I made to my Shenui (it looks quick and dirty , it was , but it works) I have no issues with lens contamination either this way - on my shenuis , the radial air assist seemd to create a vortex within the nozzle , resulting 5x more cleaning than with the "mod"

Jerome Stanek
11-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks Rodney I think I may go that route as I like the nice even flow from my bib compressor and I have a regulator right by the laser. Also it is nice and quiet as the compressor is in a different room.