PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly track saw compatibility question

bobby milam
11-08-2013, 5:27 PM
I recently bought a Grizzly track saw and it works great. I do like the multifunction table for the festool having a flip track to make fast cuts. I know that you can't interchange the saws on tracks but does anyone know if the grizzly track will attach to the MFT in place of the festool track? I've thought about making my own but am not sure of how I would connect the track to make it able to flip up but lie back down in perfect alignment cut after cut. I'm doing about 100 repeated cuts on some ripped material and an MFT would make it much easier.

Frank Martin
11-08-2013, 8:29 PM
I don't know the compatibility, but I think you will be better off using a table saw. I once had the Festool setup with the MFT and was not happy with the accuracy and repeatability. In my opinion this setup is good for onsite work, but not a good substitute if you are working in your shop and have a table saw.

Loren Woirhaye
11-08-2013, 8:58 PM
You may have to make a new metal doohickey or grind the Festool one down to fit in the Grizzly track. Maybe it will fit. The other end of the Festool crosscut fixture has a tab which you may need to grind. I don't have the Festool setup anymore so I cannot check the dimensions. I recommend you inquire with the Eurekazone people. I concur that the MFT setup for crosscutting is good for installation work but not consistent enough for furniture making. The relationship between the crosscut stop points shifts when the table is moved.

bobby milam
11-09-2013, 4:37 PM
Unfortunately I had to sell my table saw last month. Even so, ripping the sheets down was easy on the table saw but they are too long to run on it as is. I'm not making furniture and they just have to be close. I've been getting good results with a little jig I made for the grizzly but is a little slow.

The cuts are about 1 1/2" wider than my sliding miter. I think I am going to look into a radial arm saw. I think it will give me just that little bit of more room to make the cut and I could repeat them fairly quick.

Harvey Miller
11-09-2013, 8:21 PM
You could use Qwas dogs/rail dogs ($78) or rip dogs ($115) for 90 degree cuts on the mft. You can even buy a replacement mft top for $130 (instead of the complete mft/3) & be good to go with a little setup.

Here's an excellent youtube video on how to use the Qwas dogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJQlcl3cHk

joseph f merz
11-09-2013, 8:53 PM
I second previous comments . get the qwas dogs .they should work [though have never seen your rails] I found the multitables flip up thing to be problematic .

bobby milam
11-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks Harvey. I had actually watched his first 2 videos then stopped. I think the rail dogs might just be the ticket. I had not seen those before. I found them for $42/pair. I won't even need to spend the $130 on a mft top. I can use my cnc and make my own table to my specifications. I could make these do exactly what I am needing it to do and will be cheaper than buying a radial arm saw, not to mention keep the floor space for something else. Thanks for the suggestion.

Harvey Miller
11-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Glad to help, Bobby.
Here's a thread on the Festool forum with Gerry's CNCed setup
http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-tools-accessories/mft3-protractor-vs-qwas/