PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for a starting point

Donald Rogers
11-08-2013, 9:18 AM
OK.... just jumpin in with both feet here.

I'm thinking of buying a laser engraving machine but the prices seem to be from $4K up to $50K with a ton of different levels in between.

Maybe someone here can help me narrow down what would be too little or too much for my needs.

I need to engrave on stone (marble, slate and sandstone mostly) and on wood (all different types)
EPS and vector images, logos and lots of wording.
That's it! Nice clean detailed images on the wood and stone.... nothing bigger than 24" square - mostly 12" or smaller would be 90% of the engraving

I don't need cutting..... I guess glass etching is possible but not in the plans yet.

So where do I begin? Chinese machine? CO2 laser? Vacuum bed? I dunno where to narrow things down..... so maybe just pointing me to some existing posts will be most helpful if you don't have time for detailed answers. The reference posts I've been reading seem to be a few years old and I was just making sure I make updated, smart decisions.

Thanks so much and I hope to be a great contributor here,

Don

Chris DeGerolamo
11-08-2013, 11:09 AM
One thing I suggest you take into account is your level of expertise in electronics and troubleshooting etc. The big three in the US offer good support if you need it; you may be on your own if you import and something breaks.

Joe Hillmann
11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I would start by contacting the Universal, Epilog, and Trotec to find reps for each company in your area, then set up appointments with each of those reps to see the machines in action. When you go to see the machines bring along a piece of each item you plan to use the laser for to have them do test engraving for you. That way you can see how the machines and their software runs and see the results on your items. I know of quite a few people who didn't test the items they planned to use the lasers for and ended up buying a machine that didn't work for what they wanted.

If you are looking at a Chinese machine I would suggest trying to find someone nearby that would be willing to show you how they run and do a few tests for you.

Jerome Stanek
11-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Where are you located.

Donald Rogers
11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm in Florida.
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'll definitely contact those companies and try to set an appointment to see the machines in action.

I have good tech and SW knowledge and feel ok about machinery but a warranty/service contract would be nice. (unless I find a used machine and get the previous owner to help me up and running and it saves me a bundle...lol)

Don

Where are you located.

Joe Hillmann
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
If you want the warrenty and service that would mean you have to go with one of the big three, Universal, Trotec or Epilog and pay American made prices.

Or you could look at American companies that import Chinese machines and offer training and support. There are several of these companies, one that people here say great things about is Rabbit lasers. I believe Hurricane also imports and offers service. If you go this route you are getting a China quality machine with good service for more than the cost of importing directly from China but much less then buying from one of the big three.

Donald Rogers
11-08-2013, 1:25 PM
I'll check out Rabbit and Hurricane! Thanks

Don

Kev Williams
11-08-2013, 3:06 PM
I've been buying and using New Hermes equipment for almost 40 years. In all that time every machine is still in use, save for the very first Concept 2000, and all the pantograph's we sold. New Hermes machines are built in France. They're not perfect, but I got no complaints. And I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure they're prices on lasers are better than Trotec-

Scott Shepherd
11-08-2013, 4:05 PM
New Hermes also used to be one the best companies in the business. Sadly, I'd have to say they are now one of the worst in the business. I don't know what happened to them, but something did. Their machines were always solid. Shame to watch what was once a great company fall to the bottom of the list on options to buy.

Mark Sipes
11-08-2013, 4:23 PM
I think New Hermes lost the edge on customer service. In the 20 years I have been in the business I have never found at a show or on the phone anyone who could answer questions that an engraver in the business should know. My first encounter was when I was shopping for my first rotary.......In Seattle we had a rep that sold NH exclusively. I made an appointment to see a demo of machines with rotary.......he could not get his computer to recognise any of his machines......and he never followed up...... went the the local Newing-Hall rep and spent 20K on the spot.. Bought a tip shapener for New Hermes...the manual is in 4 langages.......and are all GREEK.. called customer support and they had no idea on how to run the machine.......needless to say..........

Walt Langhans
11-09-2013, 7:34 PM
My 2 cents :)

I recently (last year or so) go into the laser business. I've got a chinese machine that I directly imported from the chinese manufacturer, and for what I need it works great and I love it. But I went through the same kind of questions / thought process as you are now.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is that you need to look at the purchase of your laser from the how much is the laser going to cost me VS how much I think (preferably know) I can make with it perspective. A lot of new laser business go out of business because they bought a killer top notch laser, but went under because of the monthly payment and / or the capital expenditure didn't leave them $ for the day to day running of the business.

If you're like most people around here we all love the shiniest, newest, fanciest tool, but just be careful when you buy it that it doesn't cripple your business before it get's started.

Hope that help :)

Frank barry
11-10-2013, 4:26 AM
Hi I am with Walt on this one if you spend $20000 to $30000 on a machine and work is slow your in big trouble but if you spend $5000 and work is slow its a cost that is much easier to bear good luck with whatever you decide Frank