PDA

View Full Version : Which Electric Shaver

Tom Winship
11-08-2013, 8:59 AM
After paying $20 for razor blades yesterday, I've decided to try an electric shave one more time. It has been probably 30 years since I've used one.
What are your opinions about:
1. Electric vs. blade? (Obviously both have gotten better in the last 30 years)
2. Which is the best? (It looks like both Braun and Philips lead the pack and I don't mind spending the bucks for the high end ones if they are worth it)

Your opinions please.
Thanks

Harold Burrell
11-08-2013, 9:16 AM
I have a Braun and I've had it for about 7 yrs or so. I really like it. It was a serious upgrade over the Remington that I had before it. The Braun has held up well and gives me a good shave. I can't ask any more than that...

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2013, 9:36 AM
I did the same transition a few years ago. One thing which surprised me is that you can buy electric shavers which are cordless!

Jerome Stanek
11-08-2013, 9:41 AM
I tried a Wahl and it did a real nice job for about 6 months then it needed new cutters. I checked and the cutters were $70. for a shaver that I paid $80 for. I was at the Houseware show and stopped by the Wahl booth and mentioned it to them and they said that you need to replace the cutters about every 6 months and that is the price of them. It is just like buying a cheap inkjet printer you pay more for the ink than the printer costs. I have used the Norelco shavers for 40 years and really like them

Wade Lippman
11-08-2013, 9:57 AM
I had a Braun but changed to Panasonic several years ago. The Panasonic is much better, but of course they might have improved the Braun.

Brian Elfert
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I believe that a blade will provide the closest shave, but I have used electric razors for probably 20 years for convenience. I had been using one of the least expensive Philips Norelco cordless razors, but I wasn't happy with the shave so two years ago I upgraded to their least expensive Sensotouch 2D model, but I'm really not seeing much improvement in the shave. I did replace the heads after a year and need to replace them again soon.

There are almost no electric razors with cords these days. They are pretty much all battery powered these days. Mine will go a week or more between charges with daily use. Best time of year to buy electric razors is right now during the holiday season. You'll usually find coupons for up to $30 off in various magazines and newspapers. Amazon generally applies the coupon electronically if you buy there.

Rick Potter
11-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I have had a Remington for about seven or eight years. Replaced the blades once. I would rate it pretty good, not perfect.

One suggestion. Costco (and probably lots of other stores) usually has shavers out for the Christmas season which include an extra set of blades. When I bought the above razor, it came with extra blades, and I have not bought any since. Getting a new one this year. No sense buying blades for it.

Rick Potter

David Weaver
11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I prefer to use a straight razor to avoid the whole ridiculous comic act that the razor market has become, but another very good option that doesn't require an investment in skills (mostly in maintaining a razor and finding the right leather for a strop, etc - shaving with the straight razor itself is no big deal) and up front money is to find a gillette super speed (double edge razor) for $15 (they're brass - if they're 60 years old, it doesn't matter, they'll never rust and they'll last you the rest of your life) and buy astra platinum blades for it. 12 cents per coated stainless blade delivered to your door. Cost ends up being about 1 to 2 cents per shave.

Larry Browning
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I am a blade guy myself. I have discovered a new brand that can only be purchased on the internet. Their blades are only about $2 each and I only change blades about every 2 months or so( I usually shave 6 days a week). They can be found at Harrys.com (http://www.harrys.com)I also changed to a non foaming shave cream that come in a tube called Creamo Shave Cream that I get at Wal-mart. It does not foam at all yet the blade just glides over the skin allowing for a VERY close shave.

Paul Wunder
11-08-2013, 11:50 AM
After trying several electrics, I have been using the Braun (higher end models Series 7 and series 9)for about 15 years now. I switched from blades not because of cost, but because my skin was always too sensitive for blades and cream. The Brauns are reliable, give a close shave and NO irritation. The mfg recommends replacing the cutting head every eighteen months at a cost of $35.00. The Braun shaver models that I use come with a "cleaning station" for lazy people like myself. When you are done shaving each day you insert the shaver into its charging stand, push a button, and while it recharges it cleans itself using an installed cartridge of scented alcohol and other stuff. A $3 cartridge lasts about six weeks and the shaver is nice and clean for use the next day...along with a fresh lemon scent. Braun and others offer a money back satisfaction policy through the manufacturer so really there is no harm in trying one of the new models.

I wish someone would invent a $3 cartridge to clean my shop!

Bill Huber
11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Are we not woodworkers????

I just use one of my large chisel..... :D:D

Trevor Howard
11-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the link Larry, I just ordered a razor and 8 blades to try, got free shipping too.

Greg Portland
11-08-2013, 1:34 PM
I prefer to use a straight razor to avoid the whole ridiculous comic act that the razor market has become, but another very good option that doesn't require an investment in skills (mostly in maintaining a razor and finding the right leather for a strop, etc - shaving with the straight razor itself is no big deal) and up front money is to find a gillette super speed (double edge razor) for $15 (they're brass - if they're 60 years old, it doesn't matter, they'll never rust and they'll last you the rest of your life) and buy astra platinum blades for it. 12 cents per coated stainless blade delivered to your door. Cost ends up being about 1 to 2 cents per shave.
I agree with everything here except that I'd buy a blade sampler pack (six packs of 5-10 blades) to see what brand your face prefers. I like Derby Extras and Feather Yellow blades but YMMV. I also use a nice shaving soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) which lasts a lot longer than the typical "gel in a spray can" options.

I should mention that I went to a DE razor to reduce the ingrown hairs caused by modern multi-blade razors (plus the cost!).

John Pratt
11-08-2013, 1:37 PM
Some real good info over at shavemyface.com. Kind of like the sawmill creek of the facial hair world. Good forum to ask questions and links to everything sold under the sun for shaving.

David Weaver
11-08-2013, 3:48 PM
I agree with everything here except that I'd buy a blade sampler pack (six packs of 5-10 blades) to see what brand your face prefers. I like Derby Extras and Feather Yellow blades but YMMV. I also use a nice shaving soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) which lasts a lot longer than the typical "gel in a spray can" options.

I should mention that I went to a DE razor to reduce the ingrown hairs caused by modern multi-blade razors (plus the cost!).

Yeah, blade's sort of a taste thing. i use a DE when I've either had several cups of coffee before I shave (which doesn't result in anything with a straight razor, but it makes the shave unsettling), or when I can't get my razor stropped the night before everyone goes to bed.

MWF is one of the soaps that I have, it's nice. There's a lot of nice soaps, the $5 tube of "real shave co" cream at rite aid is a very expensive cream hiding in a drug store plastic bottle. It's probably my favorite, and any of the classic soaps (MWF, cella, etc).

MWF is expensive here, but there is a seller on ebay who sells it shipped here for about 12 bucks. I don't wash out my brush, and could make that MWF bar last nearly a year if I had to.

It's easy to get into the shave stuff and get excessive, but it's so much nicer to think about what you're going to shave with that day that you enjoy using vs. gnashing teeth about paying a bunch of money for a cheap little plastic razor head with a whole bunch of clogging blades.

Paul McGaha
11-08-2013, 4:50 PM
When I was a kid I just used the razor my dad had. When I moved out and got married (1977) I bought my own razor. A Gillette Trak II. It was the latest thing at the time. January will make 37 years later still using the same razor. I don't know how I've managed to hang onto it all this time but I have.

PHM

Mel Fulks
11-08-2013, 4:59 PM
Paul, I'm surprised you can still get blades ,that speaks well of Gillette . Twice I've been burned by Schick discontinuing blades.

Paul McGaha
11-08-2013, 9:18 PM
Mel,

Yeah the blades are still easy to get, have them most anywhere I think, Hope it lasts.

PHM

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2013, 7:33 AM
Scissors here......

I last shaved August 18th, 2011 - the day before I retired.

:)
Haven't missed it a bit.

James Bilsky
11-09-2013, 7:58 AM
I was in the same situation 2 years ago, razor blades are way overpriced and they don't last. Did some research ended up with Panasonic ES-LA93-K excellent shaver & shave with cleaning system, now it only cost me $10 month to shave (cleaning cartridge - cheaper if you buy in quantity)

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES-LA93-K-Electric-Shaver-Cleaning/dp/B002N5MHLK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384001664&sr=1-4&keywords=panasonic+shaver

Jim

John Coloccia
11-09-2013, 8:55 AM
When I was a kid I just used the razor my dad had. When I moved out and got married (1977) I bought my own razor. A Gillette Trak II. It was the latest thing at the time. January will make 37 years later still using the same razor. I don't know how I've managed to hang onto it all this time but I have.

PHM

That's what I use too. More blades = scraping your face multiple times. Who came up with that whacky idea?

I've never gotten an electric to work well for me. These days, I just use a trimmer and live with a perpetual scruffy beard.

Jason Roehl
11-09-2013, 9:24 AM
That's what I use too. More blades = scraping your face multiple times. Who came up with that whacky idea?

I've never gotten an electric to work well for me. These days, I just use a trimmer and live with a perpetual scruffy beard.

I have the Gillette Fusion setup and love it. Yep, it's the one with FIVE blades in it, plus the battery-powered oscillation. Close, comfortable shave, and a quick slosh in the sink clears the blades. They also last me around 3 weeks each, shaving every day (or not--doesn't seem to matter). So it costs me about a dime a day--I don't think I'm going broke on that. Make that a nickel per--I wear a beard during the colder half of the year. And I don't have to do any sharpening/stropping gymnastics. For me, I've found the key for comfort is to shave BEFORE I shower. No razor burn that way, and any nicks will stop bleeding in the shower, so no TP face.

As for electrics, I still have a ~10 year old Norelco rechargeable that holds a charge for all of 2 seconds. It works if it's plugged in, but I'm done buying electrics. If there were a good corded, NON-rechargeable out there, I might consider it, but the rechargeables just don't last, and you have to destroy them to get to the internal cells, so it's not like you can even solder in some new cells easily after a couple years.

David Weaver
11-09-2013, 9:33 AM
I personally never could find an electric razor that didn't cause me razor burn, but I get razor burn from almost anything. A straight razor after a shower is about the only way I won't get razorburn. 15 years ago when the multiblades became common, that was a step up from some of the disposables that weren't always that accurately manufactured.

But a genuine straight razor is the only way I have ever been able to shave without getting razor burn or follow up acne-ish stuff from a razor. Stropping is about 30 seconds a day, and shave is about 5 minutes for a two pass shave, which is the closest i've ever had from anything of any type, and coupled without razor burn...

...be glad to help anyone who wants to step off the cliff and try shaving with a straight razor.

The biggest impediment here, as I see it, is we don't slaughter horses in the US in any numbers any longer, and horse butt and cordovan shell have no equal when it comes to razors.

Rick Potter
11-09-2013, 10:09 AM
David,

Looking at your picture ;) , I wouldn't think that shaving would be a priority for you.

Rick Potter

Brian Elfert
11-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Both Remington and Norelco still make corded electric shavers. Norelco also makes at least three electric razors that can be used with battery or a cord.

I have had one or two electric razors fail and it was actually the motor that failed, and not the batteries. I currently have a razor with lithium-ion battery and it goes a week between charges.

David G Baker
11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
I have been using a Norelco for the past 40 years. It is okay but it doesn't give me a very close shave so I first shave with the Norelco then switch to the Gillette Trak II if I want a clean close shave. The good thing about this system is that the blades on the Gillette last for 3 months or more and the Norelco blades seem to last a lot longer as well. I haven't tried any of the newer electric razors but would like to find one that does a real good shave but don't want to spend all of the $ to find out if the new one works on my beard as well as the Norelco.

Bill Cunningham
11-09-2013, 10:15 PM
If you don't shave every day, don't buy a electric that uses a screen. you will never get a two or three day whisker to reliably go through a hole in a screen. A rotary Remington works ok for that.. I've been blessed with not having a heavy beard. If I shave with a good blade (one of those gillette 4 blades) I usually only have to shave every two days, and can push it to three if need be.. A pack of 3 will last me 6 mo.

Raymond Fries
11-10-2013, 4:31 PM
I switched back from an electric razor to blades after going from a Mach III to a Braun electric. The micro screens wear out and are expensive. I bought a vintage Gillete safety razor in excellent condition back in January of 2013 for $75. I then bought 100 Feather safety blades for I think it was about $30. I still have about 50 blades left. In addition, my wife gave up her Venus razor and we got her an old Gillette as well. The setting on 2 gives me an excellent shave. I feel the switch has already saved us money. I will never go back to Mach III and she will never go back to Venus blades.

Good Luck...

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

BOB OLINGER
11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
I've been a Tract II guy for like 35+yrs or so. I don't buy Gillette blades as they are ridiculously high priced. I've been buying Willkinson for a fraction at Walmart. Then, they stopped stocking them a few months ago. Fortunately, I found them on line at a very affordable price. Had to buy like 70 blades, but that was fine with me. So, as long as I can find good reasonably priced blades, I'll stick to Tract II

David Weaver
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
David,

Looking at your picture ;) , I wouldn't think that shaving would be a priority for you.

Rick Potter

That ain't workin, that's the way you do it. Dump your disposable razors and your MTV :)

David Weaver
11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I switched back from an electric razor to blades after going from a Mach III to a Braun electric. The micro screens wear out and are expensive. I bought a vintage Gillete safety razor in excellent condition back in January of 2013 for $75. I then bought 100 Feather safety blades for I think it was about $30. I still have about 50 blades left. In addition, my wife gave up her Venus razor and we got her an old Gillette as well. The setting on 2 gives me an excellent shave. I feel the switch has already saved us money. I will never go back to Mach III and she will never go back to Venus blades.

Good Luck...

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Gillette fat boy? Though I'm a straight razor shaver, I got a fat boy and a superspeed (for $30 and $15 respectively, though they would be described as being used/moderately worn - thus the prices). I like them both. And then made the mistake of getting some old open comb 1904 style razor. It is almost impossible to get a light pressure close shave with - there was a good bit of improvement in the 1930s-1950s gillettes.

I've never used feathers, but I get razorburn if I sharpen a straight too sharp, and I know that the coating on feathers makes them sharper than that yet. The astras are a nice (and cheap) compromise, I've seen a few people comment that astras are like using a feather blade that's been shaved with 2 or 3 times already.

Bennie Garrett
11-16-2014, 9:06 PM
I need help. And I would everything just to get a good electric razor. I don't want to see a bloody face when shaving. Please let me know what's best. Thanks man!

Tom M King
11-16-2014, 9:27 PM
I guess Festool doesn't make shavers, or there would be no need to ask on a woodworking forums.

Rich Enders
11-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Forget about all the details. It is time to man up here.

Stan Calow
11-17-2014, 9:08 AM
I use an electric (the Norelco I got for Christmas, 40+ years ago) when I am in a hurry. Blades when I want it close - basic safety razor. Cheap disposables when traveling.

@Bill OK what microbevel on your chisel?

Phil Thien
11-17-2014, 9:19 AM
I need help. And I would everything just to get a good electric razor. I don't want to see a bloody face when shaving. Please let me know what's best. Thanks man!

First post at SMC and it revives an electric shaver thread just before gift giving season?

Would the Electric Shaver for Christmas Gifts Consortium really stoop this low?

Alan Trout
11-17-2014, 9:20 AM
I have been using Braun razors for about 10 years. I am on my second. I use electrics because they leave the hair just long enough that I do not get the ingrown hairs I was constantly fighting with blade razors. Electrics never give as close a shave as a razor which is exactly what I need. I have used the Norelco's but they tended to rip hairs out of my face. They use to say the had the lift and cut system. I called it the lift and yank system. I prefer the foil type shaver.

Myk Rian
11-17-2014, 9:57 AM
Philips Norelco Aquatec triple header. I've had it 6-7 years, and the battery still lasts for a month before recharging.
It's been the best shaver I've owned.

Rod Sheridan
11-17-2014, 1:38 PM
Hi, I pay about $20 for 100 razor blades.

After years of frustration with multi-blade expensive razors I went back to the double edge blade and razor we started with.

The razors are available at good accessory stores or on line.

I paid about $50 for a German made Merkur razor, and buy a pack of 100 blades for $20 bucks every couple of years.............Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2014, 2:19 PM
Rod....is that "$550" a typo?

John Coloccia
11-17-2014, 2:27 PM
I use a double edged safety razor too. It's just a more comfortable shave for me than these 15 blade contraptions. I used to use a straight razor, but I got sick and tired of the sharpening ritual. The multi blade cartridges just tear up my skin.

David Weaver
11-17-2014, 2:34 PM
Vintage linen and horse leather, John. Gives you about 200 shaves between honing, and you can still catch and pop a hanging hair at that point. The modern crop of so called linens and felts aren't worth a whole lot by themselves, though (thus the need to go to a vintage flax linen that's treated with something to stiffen it).

Though I get what you're saying (it does take a little longer to shave with and strop a straight razor). A lot of the people on the razor forums seem to talk about honing their razors all the time, and any significant amount of metal removal comes with the chance that the edge won't be that great.

Presume Rod is saying $55 or $50 for some type of merkur slant bar or something. Merkur does have some expensive ones, though (like $200).

Rod Sheridan
11-17-2014, 9:34 PM
Rod....is that "$550" a typo?

Yup, thanks Ken, I've corrected it...............Rod.

Don Morris
11-17-2014, 11:54 PM
I use the next to top of line Norelco (Costco) and have used one for years. May not give the very closest of shaves but does a pretty good job. No cuts, no irritation, no mess, simple, new blades once a year, reasonably fast, easy, water or waterless. They say it takes a while for face to acclimate to electric shaving. Don't judge the first shave as the benchmark.