PDA

View Full Version : VB36 hollowing systems?

John Sincerbeaux
11-07-2013, 11:21 PM
What Hollowing systems are available for the VB36? I know the VB manufacturer makes some extended rests for hollowing. I was just wondering what VB owners use on their lathes for hollowing? Any laser systems?

Thanks!

Jeff Childs
11-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Although I am new to turning and the VB36 (purchased a used one at an estate auction about a year ago), I too have been slowly searching for what other VB owners have been using besides VB's extended rests, as you mentioned. I will assume you are referring to 'deep' hollowing, since any hand-held tool can be used, but with respective limitations. Previous visits to this wonderful site revealed some heavy bore, captured units with a stand that is separate from the lathe that have been on the market over the years, and seem to have worked well. I was recently lucky enough to find a local turner who had purchased one from the late Frank Sudol several years back...1 1/2" bar with outrigger and roller stand. I have not used it yet, but will let you know how I do when I can spend some time with it. You might also visit a SMC thread dated 4-30-10 regarding deep vessel hollowing. There is also a VB36 users 'Yahoo Group' that you might join and pose the question to. Sorry for my limited knowledge.....but just getting started.....and certainly feeling the vortex sucking me in!

Jeffrey J Smith
11-08-2013, 4:47 PM
I don't have a VB36, came really close a couple years ago to picking up a used one (they're rare), but, it seems to me that a setup like Brian McEvoy came up with - now made and marketed by Carter (the band saw products guys) would work fine. A long boring bar supported by a freestanding captured roller at the rear and the VB toolrest at the front should get it done.