PDA

View Full Version : Dust chute for late 70's PM-72

Doug Walls
11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm looking for ideas on making a trunnion mounted dust chute for a late 70's model PM-72 table saw.
Just wondering if anyone has made a dust chute for the older PM-72 saws before?

Doug

Brian W Smith
11-08-2013, 6:39 AM
Have made them for other saws.

Don't even think metal until you've made several utilizing poster bd/tape/hot glue.We do a lot of sheet metal work here....we fabricate DC parts,to include making Ells/blastgates,custom transitions,etc,etc,yadayada.......Heck,I've Tigged up several impellers(copying existing designs for friends(poor ones,haha)......the use of paper,poster bd patterns in this craft can not be overstated.

It's hard to describe the shape of these shrouds/pickups,because each saw is a bit different.Imagine taking a simple metal,4-6" funnel and squishing it flat between your hands.The part where the spout is on the bttm is your(IMO)main focus.The pce of duct that connects to the shroud needs to transition almost as long as the overall height of the shroud itself.So,looking at the above funnel....see how the spout is a constant diameter?You want this to transition much more.It will also,in most cases be transitioning in sveral axis.Its changing shape from the flatten'd "funnel" part,into a round duct.Just don't make it an abrupt change here......stretch it out.I really think this is the challenge area,moreso than the almost flat pcs that shroud the blade.

This transition is also going to be a huge point of attatchment......so keep this in mind(this is assuming you're connecting this all to flex hose,within saws cabinet,not just dumping into cabinet).The blade shroud part is usually pretty straight fwd on its bolt-up.I will say,on a properly design shroud/transition you should be shooting chips/dust out of your cabinet's "port"(disconnected DC line)with some authority.Our big saw(14/16)will shoot it out about 2 feet on the floor.

Doug Walls
11-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Don't even think metal until you've made several utilizing poster bd/tape/hot glue.
the use of paper,poster bd patterns in this craft can not be overstated.
Yea I've done a little bit of sheet work before & I have used cardboard to help layout my bends & cut angles.

Here's a pic of the saw's trunnion that I'm working with & a sketch-up drawing of what I'm thinking of.

Doug