PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself

Andrew Donley
11-07-2013, 3:03 PM
My name is Andrew and I've been turning for about two years, but only recently moved up from firewood to actual turning blanks : ) I turn on a Central Machinery mini lathe. I am actually in the market for a new lathe. A few days ago the toolrest snapped while I was turning a 8 inch bowl. If I hadn't been paying close attention, I would have probably lost a finger lol. Sucked my bowl gouge in, and sent the bowl flying. I was standing out of the line of fire thankfully.

Here is a black palm box I made. Man, that stuff is hard to turn. This was my second time working with it, and it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself :D

Don Orr
11-07-2013, 3:12 PM
Welcome Andrew! Nice box and glad you were not hurt by the toolrest incident. Looks like you are off to a good start. Lots of nice, helpful folks here.

robert baccus
11-07-2013, 4:19 PM
Welcome aboard--beautiful boxes and I just love black palm. The quality of the stuff has really gone downhill from some old stuff I have. Glad you are OK--maybe toolrests are going downhill also. The last photo almost looks like red palm. Run for your life or start saving vortes money.