PDA

View Full Version : Is there another word for "Crotch-wood".

Brian Kent
11-07-2013, 2:21 PM
These are Avocado bowls made from "Elbow-wood" or "Branching-areas" from my neighbor's wood-pile.

I just feel funny selling "Crotch-wood" bowls at my church's Alternative Christmas festival (people donate stuff to sell for different mission projects. These will support the food supply for a Tijuana orphanage.)

Don Orr
11-07-2013, 2:51 PM
How about "stem bifurcation" ? ;)

John Keeton
11-07-2013, 2:52 PM
Brian, I am not sure why you need to state anything other than the species. More to the point, crotch feather usually looks more like this - http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/2007/06/p_july07crotch03.jpg

Robert Henrickson
11-07-2013, 3:03 PM
Brian, I am not sure why you need to state anything other than the species. More to the point, crotch feather usually looks more like this -

Just call it "feather grain". If anyone asks what creates it, just say it's from where branches separate.

Jim Underwood
11-07-2013, 3:12 PM
Not sure calling someone a feather brain is gonna help..

Oh wait. ;)

Reed Gray
11-07-2013, 4:01 PM
Hey, when I flew a hang glider, being called a feather brain was a compliment. I tell people that it is an interlocking grain where branches come together so the tree doesn't fall apart. This is accompanied by intertwining my fingers and pulling a little bit. Just calling it figured works as well.

robo hippy

robert baccus
11-07-2013, 4:36 PM
That word attracts attention--maybe sales as well.

Sid Matheny
11-07-2013, 6:17 PM
Fork wood works for me!

Sid

Thomas Canfield
11-07-2013, 9:48 PM
Go with Sid. That sounds good to me.

Richard Coers
11-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Just call it figured avocado.

robert baccus
11-08-2013, 3:04 AM
I'm still trying to think of a way to mention mounting bowls in polite company!

Peter Blair
11-08-2013, 9:26 AM
My best client will not buy any 'crotch' at all. She is bothered by the term so I usually just refer to it a a piece with nice feather.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Perhaps "Y" branch? I think everyone can relate to that and not get offended. I completely understand about someone not buying crotch wood, but buying feather grain. It's all in the mind, and how you present it.

End grain is a tough one though.

Mike Cruz
11-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Man, this world is getting too PC. The word crotch has so many other meanings. Only those that think of it in a bad way need redirection...

Mel Fulks
11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Peter,that is a pretty strange client! Possibly she has heard grandma tell how her mother put the now comical little skirts on the tops of piano legs and such. Examples are easily found in Victorian prints .For the name ,how about "the tree came to a fork in the road and took it wood" ?

John Keeton
11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Mike is correct - the term has nothing to do with anatomical parts and refers only to that area of the subject (be it body, tree, clothing, etc.) where two members come together. If one becomes offended by "crotch", that may just be a reflection on their level of knowledge regarding the term.

Back to the point, why feel compelled to call it anything other than highly figured wood. The wood used by Brian in his bowls does not appear to me to have the characteristic feather associated with crotch wood, and while it may have come from that area of the tree, perhaps the angle of cut did not preserve the figured portion of the wood - or, perhaps I am just not observing it well enough.

Most have opined and it would be best if we kind of leave this topic before the conversation takes a bad turn. Thanks.

Jamie Donaldson
11-08-2013, 4:01 PM
I agree with Sid, call it "fork wood!" That's a perfectly accurate discription of the source of the feather figure.

ray hampton
11-08-2013, 4:37 PM
I try to split this type of wood before, the name fork out or fork off, branch off, the name also apply to a fork in the highway, some people will say the Y in the road

John Sanford
11-08-2013, 5:03 PM
Perhaps "Y" branch? Nah, because then somebody is going to want to know what the answer is? Or some kid will pester with "Y Not branch?"

John Altberg
11-08-2013, 8:01 PM
With all due respect, I believe you are being far too sensitive!

phil harold
11-08-2013, 9:19 PM
There is a simple solution to this, use the correct word

Axil
The upper angle between a branch and the trunk from which it has grown.

Mike Cruz
11-08-2013, 9:57 PM
That is very interesting, Phil. I think I'll start using that. I'll label the bottom of the bowl, Maple Axil. And when people ask me what that means, I'll say that means "CROTCH!" :D

Dan Grebinski
11-08-2013, 10:17 PM
That is very interesting, Phil. I think I'll start using that. I'll label the bottom of the bowl, Maple Axil. And when people ask me what that means, I'll say that means "CROTCH!" :D

Great!! Now I'm an axilety old fart.

Brian Kent
11-08-2013, 10:17 PM
With all due respect, I believe you are being far too sensitive!

Don't worry, John. I am only talking about an ounce of awkwardness with 1% of the congregation. When 1% is 8 people, I avoid little offenses whenever possible. To me it is just a funny word. ;)

Mike Cruz
11-08-2013, 10:24 PM
And for clarification, you are a man of the cloth, aren't you Brian?

Brian Kent
11-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Yes, I am. Methodist pastor. Most of us have good senses of humor.

Dale Gillaspy
11-09-2013, 7:56 AM
I have to admit I think it is much ado about nothing. The word crotch is not like you are dropping the F bomb, and it can refer to any number of areas where things split apart and not just an anatomical region of the body. I wish to respect other's rights as well, I'm just saying I personally don't get it.

crotch (krhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/obreve.gifch)n.1. The angle or region of the angle formed by the junction of two parts or members, such as two branches or legs.
2.a. The area on a pair of pants, underpants, or shorts where the two leg panels are sewn together.
b. A piece of material sewn into a pair of pants, underpants, or shorts that joins the legs.

3. The fork of a pole or other support.

[Possibly alteration of crutch (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crutch) and partly from Middle English croche, crook, crosier (from Old French croche, hook, shepherd's crook, feminine of croc, hook; see crochet).