PDA

View Full Version : trotec engraver

Darren coffell
11-07-2013, 12:45 PM
thinking about getting a new laser. I see that there may be some sort of better pricing through the Sawmill connections. Is there someone specifically that I need to contact? if so does anyone have that contact info? I called the main company and was told they would get a rep to contact me, but I haven't heard anything yet. Its been a couple of days and I'm pretty anxious to see what its going to cost me. Currently I have a couple of GCC lasers, but I would like to look at another brand this time.

Dan Hintz
11-07-2013, 1:41 PM
Darren,

Let us know what you're after and we can give you a "ballpark" figure (say, +/- a few g's)

Darren coffell
11-07-2013, 1:51 PM
Depending on price of course, I am interested in either the 400 or 500 with either 60 or 80 watt laser. I would like to see the options on those combinations. I would also need a rotary setup.Thanks

Dan Hintz
11-07-2013, 2:04 PM
Okay, you win... don't know pricing on anything above the 300. My guess would be mid- to high-30's and up for the 400 (though this is just a guess based upon what pricing I do know. I believe there's only one person here with a 400, no one I know has a 500.

Jiten Patel
11-07-2013, 3:11 PM
Hi Darren,

Not sure about US pricing as I am in London UK, but Dan is about right - in the region of 32-38k for the 80w I would imagine. Great machines....!

Darren coffell
11-07-2013, 3:32 PM
That was my guess as well. I just remember there being discussions on here about Trotec offering special member pricing through sawmill creek and was hoping to get contact info if that's the case. Near as I can tell, these are really nice machines. I have been using GCC machines for a lot of years and although they have been pretty good, I am looking to improve on the quality. Seems I have to replace more parts than I think I should, especially in the drive and electronics side.

Mike Null
11-07-2013, 6:28 PM
Contact the Trotec headquarters and ask for sales. Tell them you are a SMC member and you're inquiring about the discount. Ask for them to have a rep contact you.

Robert Tepper
11-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Where are you located?

Robert

Robert Tepper
11-08-2013, 12:37 AM
BTW, I have a Rayjet 300, 80 watt. I runs 12 hours a day and I am more than happy with it.

Chris Edens
11-08-2013, 12:51 AM
The best pricing is show pricing.

Keith Outten
11-08-2013, 1:29 AM
Darren,

I sent you a Private Message with the contact information.

Keith

Darren coffell
11-09-2013, 6:24 PM
Central Oregon

Darren coffell
11-09-2013, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

Darren,

I sent you a Private Message with the contact information.

Keith

Chuck Jarrett
11-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Darren, As far as pricing Dan has it in the ballpark, as far as the machine, I can not say long term how the 400 is going to be in terms of reliability etc, I can say it is a most awesome piece of equipment. It is built extremely well, and very fast and precise. The best to you in your decision.

Gary Hair
01-17-2014, 2:49 PM
Contact the Trotec headquarters and ask for sales. Tell them you are a SMC member and you're inquiring about the discount. Ask for them to have a rep contact you.

If only it were that simple... I got contact info from Keith on December 21st and have left four messages for Amie over the last three weeks and I have yet to get a call back. The last two messages were supposed to be sent to her as well as the local rep in Washington - no response. There has been quite a bit of discussion about Trotec sales and how un-responsive they are, it's a wonder they are still in business when I have cash in hand to buy a machine but they won't take the time to contact me... Epilog sent info out the same day I called them, not sure why Trotect can't/won't return a call... Before anyone touts how perfect Trotec is, try searching here for "trotec sales" and see how many posts you get regarding their poor performance. It seems everyone who has a Trotec is very happy with it, but I'm not sure how they even got them. I sent an email to Amie just a few minutes ago, I'm curious to see if/when I get a reply to that.

Dan Hintz
01-17-2014, 3:10 PM
Gary,

I share you pain, but I'll add that Amie is out of the office quite a bit for days at a time (quite possibly out more than in). Replies may be slow at times, but she will tirelessly work with you to make sure you get exactly what you need... I speak from experience on this as we hashed out different options over a period of months. I'm not making excuses, I'm merely saying this is a case where the wait is worth it for the machine. On that note, if you know exactly what you want in terms of machine, power, options, etc., let her know that. She will send you a quote when she's back in the office and someone else in the orders department can take over from there.

Bert Kemp
01-17-2014, 3:46 PM
Why don't you just call them? Or do they not answer the phone?

Keith Outten
01-17-2014, 3:46 PM
Amie McGee has recently been promoted to Director of Operations so she will not be our contact person anymore. Kristina Jones will be the person we contact or you can call the main office number and ask for sales and you will receive the help you need ASAP. I just talked to both Kristina and Amie on the phone to find out why there is such a long lag time when potential customers are contacting Trotec, basically Trotec is in a kind of reorganization period because they are growing and business is good.

Trotec is trying to open new offices in several cities to increase their sales and support presence. They are also hiring new people to help with sales so the contact problem should be resolved once again shortly. I say once again because they had this same problem a couple years ago during an earlier growth spurt and it took them awhile to gear up for the increased sales.

Honestly, I'm envious and I wish I had their problems :)

David Somers
01-17-2014, 4:10 PM
Keith....do you know what cities they are considering?
Trotec is way beyond any budget I can imagine. Just asking for the sake of other folks here.

Dave

Kristina Jones
01-17-2014, 4:11 PM
Hi Everyone! I want to apologize for some of the lag time we have had. As Keith said above, we are growing and opening new showrooms around the country. It is an exciting time for us! I will be working with Keith to be sure that you are contacted by your local sales rep. Please also feel free to message me and include the best way to contact you and your city and state so I know which sales rep to put you in contact with. I look forward to working with you.

Mike Null
01-17-2014, 5:30 PM
Gary

I have to agree that the lack of response is inexcusable but I will say that after 7 years with a Trotec I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I understand your frustration but it is a superior machine.

Mark Sipes
01-17-2014, 6:44 PM
I'll second that.......Tech support is great also

Keith Outten
01-17-2014, 9:01 PM
Keith....do you know what cities they are considering?
Trotec is way beyond any budget I can imagine. Just asking for the sake of other folks here.

Dave

Dave,

I don't know which cities are being considered or if they have made decisions yet. I expect we won't know anything until an official announcement is made.

Mike Null
01-18-2014, 8:46 AM
Dave

Don't rule out the Ray Jet.

Robert Tepper's remarks are significant as he operates a high volume awards business and puts the machine to the test every day.

David Somers
01-18-2014, 5:43 PM
Mike,

At your suggestion I just sent in a contact to Trotec and ask about that line. I had looked at their normal Trotec line but not the Rayjet line. I have a feeling they will still be far beyond any cost I could swing but I will look. Thanks for the suggestion! I am also curious to see how long they take to respond. When I started digging into lasers I found Epilog and Universal were both very responsive and very happy to help me even when we reached a point where I had to say their costs were higher than I could go. They still helped and were great resources. Trotec took months to respond after repeated emails and contacts through their web page. It was an interesting contrast.

Thanks again!!! Will let you know what they say!

Dave

Scott Shepherd
01-18-2014, 7:53 PM
When I started digging into lasers I found Epilog and Universal were both very responsive and very happy to help me even when we reached a point where I had to say their costs were higher than I could go. They still helped and were great resources. Trotec took months to respond after repeated emails and contacts through their web page. It was an interesting contrast.

I know a lot of people look at things that way, and that's what makes the world go around, but I've found that for us, we buy based on the machine and it's specifications. I couldn't give a rats bottom about whether or not some sales rep calls me back within 15 minutes. If the machine fits our needs and we want it, I'll clear my desk to make it happen. I don't leave it up to the sales staff of some company to decide what machines we put on our floor. If the one that called you back and responded the quickest sold the lesser machine, what good did that do me? So they answered me first, now I have to live with a slower machine for 7 years? I don't agree with that logic (not implying you are using that Dave, but some people do).

I've found sales staffs at all the major manufacturers to be hit and miss. That's why we don't wait for them, we make it happen ourselves. Want a machine? Pick up the phone and start calling. Don't get called back today? Call again tomorrow. I know some people don't agree with that, but I don't agree that putting ANY emphasis on the sales rep is a good idea. When your machine goes down, will you call the sales rep (who stocks no parts and can't help you), or will you call tech support? You'll call tech support. I bet you could take a poll on here from all lasers owners and see how many have ever heard from their sales rep again after the check cleared. I suspect the number would be in the 90% plus area of people who never hear from them again.

That's just my take. I know many don't agree with it, but it's put some high quality equipment on our floor that makes us good money.

David Somers
01-19-2014, 1:43 AM
Scott (Steve),

I should add the Trotec response consisted of an emailed copy of a PDF brochure, never even got a quote or a follow up. Never another contact after that. While I appreciate the difference between sales and the actual device and the all important after sales support, when you combine an apparent price that was much higher than I could go with no response from sales I can't say I was motivated to go further. If I had been sold that Trotec was the way to go for my circumstances I would have persevered and found someone to talk to. But the price alone precluded my buying one. As did the price of a new Epi and Universal. Remember I am not a business at this point. Merely a serious wood turning hobbyist looking at a laser as an add on tool for wood turning and other things. If I were a full on business looking to fit this into a vital part of my processes pursuing this would have made sense.

I am open though and recognize the quality of a Trotec, so I have tried again at Mike Null's suggestion. Will see what happens.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
01-19-2014, 8:49 AM
I understand Dave, I didn't mean that directed at you, you just touched on a topic that I've seen frequently and it sparked me into responding, more in general than directly to you. I understand your position. I honestly think all 3 major brands mentioned often on here have their strengths and their weaknesses. I can make every one of them beat the others by doing "something". I can make one shine above the rest in certain situations and make the other 2 look not so hot. I've witnessed Epilog, Universal, and Trotec all deal with growing pains. It's not unique to any one brand. As someone who spent 25 years in manufacturing, I've seen that movie before. Growing fast isn't always a painless experience. In fact, it's rarely ever painless. It's always the same story from the customer, slow responses (if any responses), etc. I recall the same thing going on with Epilog and Universal as well and they sorted it all out, and I know Trotec is working hard to do it. The problem is, and this is just my opinion, it's impossible to add some of those positions overnight. You can't add 3 tech support people next week. It takes time to get up to speed to be able to support customers. You can add a sales rep next week, but how deep do you think their knowledge of the product will be? I know they have been working very hard to resolve a lot of issues and I think they are laying the foundation for the future, even though it's painful now.

Believe it or not, I don't think everyone should buy a Trotec. Or a Universal. Or an Epilog. I think everyone's needs are different and you should evaluate your needs and buy the machine that best fits your needs and budget. That might be a Chinese machine, it might be a Trotec. Doesn't matter to me. I don't get paid from anyone buying any of them. My business model doesn't rely on what someone half way around the world buys with their money.

David Somers
01-19-2014, 6:41 PM
Scott,

No worries!!! It wouldn't have mattered if you were directing your comments at me or not. They were good comments and very worth noting. For what it is worth....you can always feel free to direct whatever at me. I have chatted with you folks enough now that I consider you friends of a sort, and most certainly would not take umbrage at anything said among friends. So no worries!!! <grin>

While I dig into this it has been fascinating to me to watch folks articulate their reasons for their choices. For some it is a bit like the rivalry between Apple and MS. Others had very economic reasons, or clearly stated supply reasons, or simply different priorities that guided their choices. And then often it is simply a matter of what your primary exposure has been to. I see this in woodturning all the time. Someone who learned on an Ellsworth style grind of bowl gouge will swear by it while someone who knocks an Ellsworth may favor the older style of bowl gouge grind. When you talk with them about their start in turning you will usually find their favorite tool is what they learned on and have the most time with. Familiarity. All kinds of reasons out there.

The challenge for me has been to determine where my $$ can take me, and if a laser can do what I want efficiently or not. So far, that is making me lean towards a Chinese system, while my desire to support a western company and have some local support and supply chains makes me lean towards someone with a good reputation like Rabbit. I would jump on one of the big 3 if an appropriate amount of cash fell on my head, but odds of that happening are low. I don't live under the flight path to Boeing Field after all. <grin>

Anyway....no worries Scott! Valued your thoughts, and Mike's, and will see what Ray Jet looks like!!

Coin Flip for the Sea Hawks/49'ers game is in just a sec! Gotta get the melted Velveeta and Tortilla Chips out to the gang in the living room! Later!!! (go HAWKS!! Looks like Denver took the other seat at the Superbowl so we should have a heck of a game in 2 weeks! Hawks or 49'ers!! Either way should be a great game!) I am routing for the Hawks though. If they lose the coffee consumption in town will be brutal the next few weeks as people fight off depression with Starbucks!

Scott Shepherd
01-19-2014, 7:28 PM
Dave, watch ebay and the classified section on here. I saw a rayjet that was like new, about a year old on there for about $4,000, 65W if I remember correctly. Had less than 100 hours on it. I almost bought it just because it was $4000 for a almost brand new machine.

Mark Sipes
01-19-2014, 7:41 PM
David, What about SeaTac?? Vegas is coming up.. Nothing but laser reps and Award Distributors. Red eye there and back one day. ARA Show. Big one of the Year Feb. 25-28, 2014 http://www.ara.org/vegas/ admit mostly US companies. At least you will know what you are getting.. a good time to compare software/hardware and support.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2014, 8:18 PM
I saw a rayjet that was like new, about a year old on there for about $4,000, 65W if I remember correctly. Had less than 100 hours on it. I almost bought it just because it was $4000 for a almost brand new machine.

I almost did the same, Steve... ;) Then I remembered I was saving up for some other cool toys :-/

David Somers
01-20-2014, 2:18 PM
Hey Mark! Had been watching that show but it looks like that week is shot for me with office stuff. This next year doesn't look to be pretty in terms of free time unfortunately. Thanks for bringing that up though.

Dave

David Somers
01-20-2014, 9:25 PM
Just to get this thread back on topic again......anyone laser engraved a football with their Trotec recently? Did you use the rotary device?

<grin>

Dave

Dan Hintz
01-21-2014, 9:31 AM
Just to get this thread back on topic again......anyone laser engraved a football with their Trotec recently? Did you use the rotary device?

Not me, and not with a Trotec, but I know several have engraved sports equipment... I recall seeing footballs, basketballs, baseballs, and baseball bats.

Mike Null
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I have done them. Deflate first then clamp. I don't have a rotary device.

Keith Winter
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Gary I've bought two Trotecs in the past year, unsure why you're getting the run around they are extremely responsive when we call. As far as buying, go to the shows. You'll never get as good of a deal as you would at a show over the phone, you'll find the best prices at the shows.