PDA

View Full Version : Darn, there's goes more money to the Valley

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 12:37 AM

Guess I'll be Christmas shopping early this year.

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 5:44 AM
Cool. Rob got me free shipping for my birthday...this will make any gift cards I get go further. Thanks Rob.

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 6:05 AM
Rob got me free shipping for my birthday

Hey your birthday is one day after mine (and a bunch of years later....).

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 6:17 AM

Hahah...actually it this Saturday so its 3 days after yours. Rob timed it so my birthday falls right in the middle of the free shipping window, as to allow others to get free shipping on things they buy for me.:)

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 8:55 AM
Hahah...actually it this Saturday so its 3 days after yours.

Did you not think that I would first check that you were born on the 9th November 1981 ;)

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 9:09 AM
Did you not think that I would first check that you were born on the 9th November 1981 ;)

I forgot that was in my profile. Well happy birthday tomorrow. Get yourself a present from LV...I think I'm going to use this as a chance to buy a few small things I've been holding off on...the Grace screwdrivers are calling to me.

lowell holmes
11-07-2013, 11:09 AM
The magnetic mount led light and the cast round spokeshave got me.

Harold Burrell
11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Chris...SERIOUSLY??? That's when you were born?

Ugh! My daughter is older than you!

(For crying out loud...I've got underwear older than you...)

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Chris...SERIOUSLY??? That's when you were born?

Ugh! My daughter is older than you!

Yep, that's when I was born. Want your mind really blown? I work in college admissions...everyday I look at student data and am blown away when I see that this years college Freshmen were mostly born between 94-96.

Cody Kemble
11-07-2013, 12:20 PM
That's about the same as being in the military and seeing all the new guys. Makes you feel old fast.

Tim Geary
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I placed an order last night before the free shipping was offered. I sent them an email this morning after reading this thread and they refunded me the shipping. They're a great company to deal with.

Harold Burrell
11-07-2013, 1:36 PM
Yep, that's when I was born. Want your mind really blown? I work in college admissions...everyday I look at student data and am blown away when I see that this years college Freshmen were mostly born between 94-96.

You know...you could have gone your whole life without telling me that... :p

Jim Koepke
11-07-2013, 2:05 PM
Rob Lee got me…

That little spokeshave with a round bottom and the PMV 11 blade. Plus a couple glass cutters for the wife.

+1 on that! Add socks, shirts, pants and one pair of dress shoes.

At least most of my planes are older than me.

That is a good reason to use old planes, they make their user feel young.

jtk

Rob Lee
11-07-2013, 2:09 PM

Hmm... same day as my Grandmother, who just turned 101.... she still has her own apartment!

Cheers -

Rob
(busy helping y'all clear out your carts before Cyber Monday......!)

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 2:13 PM
busy helping y'all clear out your carts before Cyber Monday......!

Thanks for the reminder on that. I'll need to save some pennies for cyber Monday. Its the best LV sale of the year! Happy Bday to your Gma.

Chris Hachet
11-07-2013, 2:14 PM
Rob Lee got me…

That little spokeshave with a round bottom and the PMV 11 blade. Plus a couple glass cutters for the wife.

+1 on that! Add socks, shirts, pants and one pair of dress shoes.

At least most of my planes are older than me.

That is a good reason to use old planes, they make their user feel young.

jtkI've got that same spokeshave...he ahs been a very busy little guy in my shop.

Chris Hachet
11-07-2013, 2:14 PM
Hmm... same day as my Grandmother, who just turned 101.... she still has her own apartment!

Cheers -

Rob
(busy helping y'all clear out your carts before Cyber Monday......!)Shouldn't you edit that to helping us clear out our bank accounts before cyber Monday?

Jim Koepke
11-07-2013, 2:15 PM

Cheers -

Rob
(busy helping y'all clear out your carts before Cyber Monday......!)

Great Happy Birthday to your Grandmother!

If it weren't for electronics fund transfers I bet you would have to hire a few armored cars for your banking needs.

In my case, my cart had to be filled first. It is just too tempting to start putting things in the cart and then ask the wife if it is okay to spend a few thousand dollars.

Happy Halloween, the kids got the candy and we have free shipping that is just as sweet.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 4:48 PM
Cyber Monday......!)

Oh no what's this now? Someone please give me the good/bad news.

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 4:57 PM
Oh no what's this now? Someone please give me the good/bad news.

Cyber Monday is the Monday following the US's Thanksgiving holiday. For the past few years Lee Valley has run very short sales on cyber Monday where they clear out some of there "cosmetic seconds". The quantities are limited and usually they run out of each thing by mid day. But if you catch the sale you essentially get the opportunity to get a new Veritas tool for a rather steep discount. No idea if they'll do that same thing again, but that's what they've done the past couple years.

Shawn Pixley
11-07-2013, 8:04 PM
...must...resist....the...plow...plane... ....must...resist...the...plough...plane... ...must...resist...

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 8:14 PM
...must...resist....the...plow...plane... ....must...resist...the...plough...plane... ...must...resist...

Definitely don't resist the plow plane....that is one tool you DO NOT want to resist.

Ryan Mooney
11-07-2013, 8:34 PM
Definitely don't resist the plow plane....that is one tool you DO NOT want to resist.

+1 the plow plane is awesome. Give... in... to.. the.. plow.. plane...

Rich Harkrader
11-07-2013, 9:31 PM
I snagged their 38" aluminum straight edge and some double prong skewers. I really wanted to get a bevel up jointer plane, but I will wait for Christmas on that one.

Rich;)

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 11:34 PM
For the past few years Lee Valley has run very short sales on cyber Monday where they clear out some of there "cosmetic seconds".
Ah thanks Chris, adding this to the diary.

I really wanted to get a bevel up jointer plane, but I will wait for Christmas on that one.
There's one for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. Ships from WI.

Don Dorn
11-08-2013, 3:37 AM
I placed an order last night before the free shipping was offered. I sent them an email this morning after reading this thread and they refunded me the shipping. They're a great company to deal with.

That's good - guess it depends who you get on the phone. Last year, the same thing happened to me but when I called, I was simply told that at the time of my order, free shipping didn't apply.

Adam Petersen
11-08-2013, 7:05 AM
Argh! The dilemna is....I too was waiting for cyber Monday hoping the bevel up smoother, low angle jack or large shoulder plane might find their way on the list. Now, I have to decide to wait on the gamble or save the shipping money as the sure thing. It's like a game show, keep the small victory I have now and go home, or gamble for the bigger prize and loose everything.

What a nice 1st world problem to have I guess. :o)

I think I'll just order the bevel up smoother and an extra blade and call Christmas for me done.

Hilton Ralphs
11-08-2013, 7:26 AM
A 5% discount on a smoother is more than the shipping you would have saved if you bought it now.

Chuck Nickerson
11-08-2013, 12:50 PM
My resistance to the Lee Valley booth at the Costa Mesa woodworking show is now futile.
I was soooo proud of myself for not spending money then, I'm rewarding myself by spending it in about 30 minutes.

Jim Neeley
11-08-2013, 2:06 PM

Resistance is futile.. You will be assimilated! :)

Kurt Cady
11-08-2013, 2:12 PM
Argh! The dilemna is....I too was waiting for cyber Monday hoping the bevel up smoother, low angle jack or large shoulder plane might find their way on the list. Now, I have to decide to wait on the gamble or save the shipping money as the sure thing. It's like a game show, keep the small victory I have now and go home, or gamble for the bigger prize and loose everything.

What a nice 1st world problem to have I guess. :o)

I think I'll just order the bevel up smoother and an extra blade and call Christmas for me done.

I believe the low angle jack and large shoulder plane were last year. At some point Rob said it takes a few years to build up 2nds.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2013, 2:42 PM
At some point Rob said it takes a few years to build up 2nds.

It can leave a bad taste for some if there is only one.

Got to give us late risers at least small chance.

jtk

Adam Petersen
11-08-2013, 3:05 PM
I believe the low angle jack and large shoulder plane were last year. At some point Rob said it takes a few years to build up 2nds.

Ah yes....I remember that now that you say it. I did get the Bevel Up Jointer last year. No matter, I'm not going to gamble it. I'm going to order the BUS when my wife gets home with the credit card tonight.

David Peterson
11-08-2013, 4:35 PM
All these rhapsodies about the LV plow. I HAVE an old Stanley 50 that does fine. Why on earth would I need the LV? But now the free shipping. And the peer pressure. I've clicked on 'buy' at least twice in the past only to back off at the last minute. I can feel my resistance weakening.

Adam Petersen
11-08-2013, 5:24 PM
David, take it from another Petersen (albeit one that is spelled correctly) the LV Plow is a gem. SO easy to set up and use. Give in. Just.....give in.

Ryan Mooney
11-08-2013, 6:18 PM
All these rhapsodies about the LV plow. I HAVE an old Stanley 50 that does fine.

No clue as I don't have a 50 to compare with.. but once you get the LV would be interested in a comparison, you know for science!

Rob Lee
11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
It can leave a bad taste for some if there is only one.

Got to give us late risers at least small chance.

jtk
Jim,

No matter what time you get up, I guarantee there will be at least one item you can really use ...

Cheers,

Rob

Hilton Ralphs
11-09-2013, 11:39 AM
No matter what time you get up, I guarantee there will be at least one item you can really use ...

Well if this isn't confirmation that Cyber Monday is happening this year, then I'm Santa.

Tom Millington
11-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I predict the tenon saws will be put up for sale the day after free shipping ends. :)

Shawn Pixley
11-09-2013, 2:04 PM
Resistance is futile.. You will be assimilated! :)

How right you are...

Ordered mine today

Rob Lee
11-09-2013, 3:18 PM
I predict the tenon saws will be put up for sale the day after free shipping ends. :)

Oooooh...you're good! :)

They are coming, and after free shipping too....

Unfortunately, this is no prize for accurate speculation... :) :)

Cheers,

Rob

Harold Burrell
11-09-2013, 5:22 PM
Oooooh...you're good! :)

They are coming, and after free shipping too....

Unfortunately, this is no prize for accurate speculation... :) :)

Cheers,

Rob

You, my friend, are an evil, evil man... ;)

Chris Griggs
11-12-2013, 9:59 AM
Ok finally got my order sorted out...

Ordered the slot and phillips sets of Grace screwdriver, the double ended pocket marking gauge, the blade roll for the small plow, and the set of Mujingfang contour planes...

I stopped myself there (sure adds up fast!), it was hard though, cause I really wanted to order the veritas mortise marking gauge....and well, a bunch of other stuff, but I showed some restraint.

I get LV stuff super fast since they ship from NY and I'm in Philly, so I should get it within a couple days so I can use it this weekend. Yay!

I think I'm actually most excited about the screwdrivers...I never thought I be so psyched about screw drivers, but you strip enough brass screw heads, and a nice parallel tip screw driver becomes very appealing.

Hilton Ralphs
11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Ok finally got my order sorted out...set of Mujingfang contour planes...

Didn't you buy the new Preston wannabe spokeshave? Is it not up to the task or what?

Ignore me if I'm confused.

Chris Griggs
11-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Didn't you buy the new Preston wannabe spokeshave? Is it not up to the task or what?

Ignore me if I'm confused.

Yes, I bought it. Its a nice shave but it doesn't work that well for what I intended to use it for, which was tight curves in cabinet bases. Those kinds of cuts inherently have a lot of endgrain and it sorta sputters out when hits those. It works really nice for light smoothing of curves that are mostly long grain, and for chamfering or rounding over tight inside curves, but it struggles and chatters a bit when you try to push it outside of its limits (cuts that are too wide, too heavy, and/or in too hard of wood). I just used it last night to shape/smooth some small walnut long grain curves on the front of the mounting pieces/support for a small shelf and it worked really well for that, but its not the solution for shaping tighter/deep end grain curves on bases/feet, partially becasue it can't handle that heavy/difficult a cut and partially because being a bevel down shave the blade with interfere with the curve if its to deep. It can get into tight radi, but it can't shape a curve that has both a small radius and is deep (encompass to many degrees of a small radius circle). I quite like it now that I am figuring out what its limits are and how/where to use it, but it did vex me a little bit as I was first figuring it out.

Anyway, I've heard some really good things about the contour planes and they're cheap so I figured I would give them a go. Even though they are wood and light, being low angle, and very compassed I figure they might be the solution I'm looking for.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Have you used the aluminum bevel up spokeshave LV sells, Chris? I seem to remember you having one, and I wonder what the end grain performance and minimum radius is on that. I usually use a broad chisel bevel down for that sort of work; but I'd like to grab a wooden or wooden-style shave for smoothing out compound curves.

If you've worked with a few different shaves, you should snap us a Derek-style shootout after you get some work with the mujingfangs!

Chris Griggs
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Have you used the aluminum bevel up spokeshave LV sells, Chris? I seem to remember you having one, and I wonder what the end grain performance and minimum radius is on that. I usually use a broad chisel bevel down for that sort of work; but I'd like to grab a wooden or wooden-style shave for smoothing out compound curves.

If you've worked with a few different shaves, you should snap us a Derek-style shootout after you get some work with the mujingfangs!

Yes, I have the Veritas LA shave. I'm a REALLY big fan of it, especially for the price. That thing greases through end grain curves like nobodies business. With the toe flipped sometimes the radius is tight enough for what I want to do but often it isn't. Also, prefer to just keep it setup as a flat sole, its kinda annoying to be switching it back and forth all the time.

Actually, I just got the LV mini shave too (full disclosure statement: the mini was given to me by the R&D folks at LV). I would have never thought for a second to buy that thing, but its really really nice. It's tiny but it can do some serious work...really mind blowing how well it works.

Anyway, I'd be happy to post something highlight the difference in the shave I have, but I don't have the any of the full size LV BD ones nor do I have the Boggs shaves, or any shave other than what has already been mentioned in this thread so I may not be the right person to do a "shootout" . I'll see if I can't post some type of useful information though.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
That might be a be much to ask anyway, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the Mujingfang contour plane shaves when you get to playing with them. I'd loan you my LV bevel down shaves to try, but in theory I've got to finish up some work with them.

Chris Griggs
11-12-2013, 12:46 PM
That might be a be much to ask anyway, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the Mujingfang contour plane shaves when you get to playing with them. I'd loan you my LV bevel down shaves to try, but in theory I've got to finish up some work with them.

Sure I'll post something about the contour planes. One of these day's I'll probably by the flat and convex LV BD shaves, and/or a Boggs....or maybe one of each.

Jim Koepke
11-12-2013, 3:00 PM
With the toe flipped sometimes the radius is tight enough for what I want to do but often it isn't. Also, prefer to just keep it setup as a flat sole, its kinda annoying to be switching it back and forth all the time.

Sounds like one of my typical reasons to have two.

jtk