PDA

View Full Version : Blue Spruce Joiner's Mallet

Jim Koepke
11-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Darn, my recollection is my mallet is 24 oz.

Oh well, SWMBO would likely tell me to go pound sand with one of the mallets out in the shop before letting me spend $115 for a new one. Hopefully she wouldn't whack me with one that is in the house.

http://www.bluesprucetools.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MLTJNR1

jtk

Max Withers
11-06-2013, 11:42 PM
I recently discovered that joiner's mallets are good for making scallopine, so that's only $57.50 per function!

(To be honest, a carver's mallet would probably work better. For the scallopine.)

Winton Applegate
11-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Yes it is pretty nice and all and I think it more practical than the round mallets.
How ever . .
(you knew that was coming from me didn't you ?)
. . . here we are, some body trying to sell ice to Eskimos again.
I say make one for your self and don't worry about the resin and if you want it heavier you can always weight it with lead. They do that with raw hide leather tooler's mallets. Like the one I have.
Maybe I am seeing it wrong but the handle looks a little edgy too.

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 5:49 AM
That ain't a mallet. THIS is a MALLET: http://www.woodworkersedgestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Mal%5F03

Ragardless, to expensive for something I'll use to beat other other things with...

The the infill mallet I linked to is cool though...if I was going to spend 100+ dollars on a mallet (which I won't) that's what I would get.

Derek Cohen
11-07-2013, 7:25 AM
Hi Chis

I like that mallet made by Glen Huey, however it is only 16oz. I would buy one in a flash if it was 2 lbs, which is the weight of Dave Jeske's. What I do have is mid way, this being the Veritas Cabinetmaker's mallet ..

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/chisels/05e1501s1.jpg

This is just a little light for morticing chisels, although it has become one I most use. Interestingly, I do have the Blue Spruce round mallet, which is also 16 oz. I find this too light for morticing. It is better for bench chisels, and was my go to for a few years. I still think it is a wonderful mallet, beautifully balanced, however in the past year I have come to prefer the Veritas for its directness. I also found the resin-infused BS to be damage-resistant, which is a double-edged sword: I'd rather replace a mallet than chisel handles.

http://www.bluesprucetools.com/PDGImages/MLTRND1.jpg

So it is tempting to get Dave's new mallet. I have no doubt that I would love using it. However I think I shall make my own. As a matter of course I also add a leather face to one side, so an infused wood is not critical. This protects both the mallet head and the chisel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
11-07-2013, 8:20 AM
That Veritas one is on my LV wishlist, as is the 20oz WIG one. I haven't bothered to buy either though just because I have big turned oak mallet that I use for almost everything (thanks Archie) and a big hard rubber mallet I like for mortising (because its quite). I didn't notice how light the Huey mallet was...I just thought it was cool looking. Either way, I won't spend that kind of money on a mallet...I won't tell anyone else they shouldn't and I wish Dave Jenske continued success...but I'm not his market for mallet sales.

Kees Heiden
11-07-2013, 8:21 AM
Have to agree with Wilton. Making a mallet is pretty simple. My ash mallet with beech handle (yes I know, should be other way around!) is going strong for over 5 years now, doing everything I want from a mallet. And it was quickly made from some offcuts. Faster then starting up your computer, dragging out your creditcard and ordering it online.

115 dollar buys you some nice tools you can't make yourself. Or a bunch of wood. Or a nice present for the misses.

Sean Hughto
11-07-2013, 8:34 AM
I think there are a lot of Eskimos - being conniseurs of ice - who find professionally made fancy ice ever so much more attractive than the ice they could have by putting a pan of water in front of the igloo before going to bed.

I must confess to having succumbed to such temptations all too many times. And there is something to the arguments by some that they would rather be crafting the cocktail while letting someone else make the artisnal glacial natural chunk fortified ice for the glass. ;-)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-07-2013, 8:56 AM
No, [url=http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/156350/135mm-Commander.aspx]this[/url is a mallet. I use it to gang cut five or six dovetail sides at once, when I can find a helper to hold the chisel.

Joking aside, after I heard about the acrylic-infused mallet from Blue spruce, I started wondering if you can by a suitable size block of the material to make your own, but I've no idea how hard it would be to work after the infusing process. I'm with Derek, though, I'd rather swap my mallet over chisel handles.

I've been meaning to pick up one of the Wood Is Good mallets - I've taken to using a deadblow over other tools for driving chisels, just because the noise drives me nuts after a while.

george wilson
11-07-2013, 9:34 AM
I'd NEVER pay $115.00 for a mallet,frankly. They are easily made,and I just don't think that one is that attractive myself.

Here is an 18th. C. style gent's mallet I made. I don't think the Blue Spruce even begins to approach the beauty and simplicity of this style. I didn't design this,mind you,it is just a classic design right out of the old catalog illustrations. The little chip carvings really make it. The little chip carved details dolled it up so it was a gentleman's mallet,plus it was a bit smaller than the regular mallets offered.

I used to make these out of large size(abt. 3" x4")wheel fellies(fellows-wooden wheel rims) that were mortised through,but were discarded. They were perfect for a quick mallet. I know you don't have access to them,but it doesn't take that long to drill and square up the hole. I didn't even taper the holes. Just drove a few wedges into the end of the handles,and I never had a head come loose in 16 years of using them in the 18th. C. shop.

Acrylic infused or not,the mallet won't look so nice after you've beaten with it long enough to get it bruised up! I'd be a bit tempted if Blue Spruce made their mallet in this style,acrylic infused.

Take a round file and file the round dollops after you chisel in the flared wedge shaped cut. This will keep you from splitting the wood as the dollops are so close to the wedge cut.

Sean Hughto
11-07-2013, 9:39 AM
That's a pretty mallet, George!

I'm vain enough to prefer one I've made over most any I could buy! hee hee

george wilson
11-07-2013, 9:55 AM
Just out of the old 18th. C. "pattern " books. I think it is hard to beat. People back then knew how to design.

Paul Saffold
11-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I couldn't resist this offer http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?209589-Lie-Nielsen-Wood-River-Stanley-and-Wood-is-Good. Very nice mallet. I've only used it a few times so far, but really like it. It doesn't replace my home made wooden rectangular one, just adds to my arsenal.
Paul

Mel Fulks
11-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Over a hundred dollars! I think it is for the professional croquet circuit.

Kees Heiden
11-08-2013, 5:51 AM
When you think this is expensive, you haven't seen the 165 dollar wooden plane adjusting hammer yet.
http://www.scottmeekwoodworks.com/hand-plane/plane-adjustment-hammer#.UnzB3_lWzTo

Brian Holcombe
11-08-2013, 8:39 AM
I'd buy it. I think it's awesome. I have the round blue spruce infused head mallet, it's gorgeous. I also have no trouble supporting people, when I can, who make tools of the caliber of blue spruce.

it's the same reason why people commission a skilled craftsman.

George, the acrylic infused head doesn't dent.

Jacob Reverb
11-08-2013, 11:45 AM
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/5470e1_4598f5b9c7440d84d2c7f6c9a34f2189.jpg_srz_51 0_456_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Looks like a good project for a woodworker!

Bruce Haugen
11-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I got to try one of Dave's mallets at the Iowa Handworks event. It is phenomenal! It feels even better than my WIG 20 oz mallet. Then after my puny attempts to deliver a blow, Dave Jeske beat on one of his chisels to a point where I thought either or both would be damaged. There was nary a ding on either the mallet or chisel.

Hilton Ralphs
11-08-2013, 1:16 PM
Bruce, that's quite the endorsement, thanks for sharing this.

Chris Vandiver
11-08-2013, 3:01 PM
My vote; http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TA/item/MS-JAHM502.XX

The 450gr hammer is a good, all around weight.

Jim Matthews
11-08-2013, 5:07 PM
$180 for a hammer?

Are you adopting any plus-size children?
I might be willing to do chores and clean my room, even.

$180? Really?

paul cottingham
11-08-2013, 5:19 PM
I don't know. Seeing as how a hammer is a pretty fundamental tool for an awful lot of what we do, a lifetime hammer for $115 doesn't seem that unreasonable. That being said, I have the lee valley metal hammer with the wooden face inserts, and it is fantastic.
I would love to see if an all wood, heavy hammer would be easier on my hands. I strongly suspect it would. For a hand tool guy, it is probably not a bad investment.

Dave Jeske
11-08-2013, 6:11 PM
Thank you Brian. I appreciate the kind words and support. I hesitate to even enter such a discussion, however, I would just like to note that not all tools are for all people. Everyone values different attributes and features. I totally understand that some woodworkers enjoy making their own tools and take great satisfaction in making a useful and/or beautiful tool for pennies on the dollar of a small manufacturer's, arguably expensive, offering. I understand that some woodworkers like to find a dogmeat $15 Stanley at a garage sale and carefully resurrect into a board flattening wonder that can hold it's own against a Lie-Nielsen or better yet, even a high end boutique plane. I also understand that some people appreciate the form, fit and function of a carefully designed and crafted tool and feel good about supporting those who make them. What I do not understand is the mocking, criticism, and negative put-downs that some people feel they must make when they have a differing point of view. Again, I appreciate your kind words.

george wilson
11-08-2013, 6:44 PM
If you refer to my reply,it was not intended to be mocking. If I liked the design,I would certainly say so. I don't mean for you to think I find the mallet horribly ugly. One can never expect 100% of the audience to like everything one makes. We get criticism all the time in our jewelry making business. Others are crazy about the work. I had an Art Deco jewelry box and table I made for my wife described as "over the top horrible". It didn't bother me since I have been offered $20,000.00 for it (and the guy was an idiot anyway!!) The table can be seen in the FAQ section here.

No one here would say that Blue Spruce doesn't offer high quality tools.

I will say I like your mallet MUCH better than that plane adjusting hammer. The sculpture of the head is nearly non existent. Everything about the head is just sluffed over. And the handle is just plain bizarre. Sorry,it just is.

As a practical matter,I just prefer to make my own mallets as they are not a lot of work to make,though I appreciate that yours are acrylic infused. Yes,I am aware that the head won't easily dent.

As an interesting story,back in the 50's Popular Mechanics advertised a set of wood to make a small mallet. It was called "Atomic wood". It was infused with plastic that was hardened with radiation. There was enough to make a judge's gavel,and I think the wood was $30.00. A LOT of money at that time. You can multiply that by at least 10 now. The big selling point was the "Atomic" part. Everything was atomic back then.

Sean Hughto
11-08-2013, 6:49 PM
Dave, I'm Sean, longtime customer, first time writer. I re-read the thread and I don't see anything personally attacking you or suggesting that your new product is not a nice mallet. Some folks suggested they like alternative mallets. And some folks, as you surely knew they would, were amazed at what it costs to make an acrylic infused labor intensive small-maker version of a tool that most of us hope we could make (at least in a crude un-infused form) in a couple hours in our own shops, if we were so inclined. Like your wonderful marking knives, of which I own 4, and your round mallet, which I own, and your exquisite set of dovetail chisels, which I also own, I'm guessing you will have lots and lots of sales of this wonderful new offering. Indeed, I'm guessing this thread, even with its chuckles and wallet-clenching gasps, will drive at least two dozen sales in itself by bringing your offering to the attention of members and lurkers here. And I'd venture that no likely customers were scared away by anything said here. This is all to say, please don't be mad. You are appreciated. Keep up the good work. Have a great weekend, Sean.

Mel Fulks
11-08-2013, 6:55 PM
Well said,Sean. Good of you to write a thoughtful reply. I wanted to comment on your diarama ,too. Couldn't find the thread. Great imaginative work.

Chris Griggs
11-08-2013, 7:49 PM
Well said,Sean. Good of you to write a thoughtful reply. I wanted to comment on your diarama ,too. Couldn't find the thread. Great imaginative work.

Yeah that was great! Sean is a man of many talents...I mean that very sincerely.

And and btw, did anyone notice how much Mr. Hyde looked like Sean's avatar.

Dave Jeske
11-08-2013, 7:49 PM
I wasn't referring to any post in particular or even this exact thread; perhaps I was being overly sensitive. I am certainly not mad, no hard feelings at all. I know that not everyone will like my designs, no problem. As a note, when I first got interested in toolmaking with my small marking knife I showed a prototype to a certain well known designer and he basically told me it was crap. I respect his opinions but I didn't change the design because I personally liked it. I have sold a few of them over the last 10 years so it can't be all that bad. ;)

george wilson
11-08-2013, 7:55 PM
I studied under one of the greatest sculptors in this country,William P. Reimann. When I did something he didn't like,he really let me know what an idiot I was. But,I knew he was right,and stayed the course with him every minute I could for 3 years. He was VERY harsh!! He became head of the art dept. at Yale,and is retired now. He is only 4 years older than Me. He got me on the right track about taste and design.

Winton Applegate
11-08-2013, 11:29 PM
What I do not understand is the mocking, criticism, and negative put-downs that some people feel they must make when they have a differing point of view.
With me it comes from a humorous tack. Not all that serious, except my views on sharpening I get all tooooo serious about that.

And that is funny too. To me and to others who know they can get their wood working done without going to the extremes I do.

To defend the bulge area in the handle I can see how that could be useful when holding the mallet in some orientations allowing a relaxed hand. There is a lot to be said for the classic old designs too though.

When it comes to tools I use every day and will have for a long time I don't ever look at price. If it is exactly what I want and some times need for making my living, I pay it gladly. Months or years later I find my self using the tool and still enjoying and appreciating having it. Cheep poorly made tools just piss me off every time I pick them up and I don't need that especially on a daily diet.

it's the same reason why people commission a skilled craftsman.

But what I am saying is would a window maker pay another window maker to make and install windows for him ?

A case in point that continually flabbergasts me but also proves your point. I have Mercedes and Ferrari mechanics come to me and pay me to do mechanical work for them.
? ? ? ?
WHAT ?
Yah.
They are as good a mechanic as I am and know some things I don't and visy versy but they could do what I am doing for them in the time it takes to drive over, check in, drive home, drive back, pick up, pay and drive home.
? ? ? ?
But again and again here they come.
I I I I dnOh.

And yet I do all the stuff for myself that they "specialize" in . . . I just pick up a book, buy a tool or two and keep those hundreds of other dollars I would have given them and buy stuff I want.

I I I I dnOh.

Of course if I need some dental work or legal advice that gets to be a little tough to do for my self. Though the legal work I asked some people and they told me and I did that for myself as well. Boy did that get some "professionals" going. Boy did I get the run around. Ha, ha, stepped on some "professional" toes there. Got'er done though.

To quote Robert Heinlein "Specialization is for insects".

http://www.elise.com/quotes/heinlein_-_specialization_is_for_insects

Or maybe I am too stupid to know when to get help.
It's a fine line.

Winton Applegate
11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
He was VERY harsh!!

Yep . . . when I ask kids and some young "adults" that work for us to take some notes if they can not remember what I have showed them three times , or Bob forbid . . . study up when they get home. . . well . . .:eek:

you would think I killed their favorite dog or sumpin':mad:

If they were exposed to your teacher they would, for sure, dry up and blow away . . . right after they got done fainting.

Yes . . . those dents in the wall are from me banging my head there all the time.

Adam Maxwell
11-09-2013, 12:22 AM
No one here would say that Blue Spruce doesn't offer high quality tools.

Well…someone (not you) once wrote on this forum
i saw some blue spruce a while back and was pretty unimpressed with a slab of bar stock jammed into a rosewood handle and dubbed a chisel. but people seem to love them...

With respect to the Blue Spruce mallet, I think the overall flow of comments here before Dave Jeske stopped in was

1) It costs how much? RIPOFF!!!

2) I could make that with offcuts in a few minutes.

3) It's ugly. Here's one I made that's better.

From what people are saying now, maybe that wasn't the intent, but that's sure the way I read it when taking in a batch of replies all at once. A lot of nuance is lost online, and it's gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years.

I will say I like your mallet MUCH better than that plane adjusting hammer. The sculpture of the head is nearly non existent. Everything about the head is just sluffed over. And the handle is just plain bizarre. Sorry,it just is.

What purpose does this serve? Gratuitously slamming people's work (tools, books, whatever) are a big part of why this forum has such a bad reputation in other parts of the online woodworking community. Sometimes harshness is warranted in a student/teacher relationship, but this just seems uncalled for.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Scott Meek or Blue Spruce. I have 5 Blue Spruce chisels, a carbide burnisher, and a marking knife; I paid full price for them, and they're great to use. I don't know Scott Meek personally, but we've chatted online; he seems like a great guy who works hard, and I've heard really good things about performance of his planes.

Mel Fulks
11-09-2013, 1:30 AM
The level of work here is pretty high. Some of it is at the pinnacle . Traditionally mallets are shop made , get thrown about wear out and get replaced. Some might want an everlasting infused mallet but I don't see anything wrong in stating the obvious fact that it is expensive. It is not rude to think the mallets we make might even be superior to it. We are used to being asked to critique complex difficult projects and having it appreciated .

Kees Heiden
11-09-2013, 3:18 AM
Nothing against Dave asking a premium price for his mallet. On the contrary, I admire his business savvy.

What I do wonder about are the buyers of some tools, like 600 dollar for a Krenov plane, 365 for a shooting board. Who are these people? And where do I find them overhere in Europe to loosen some money from their pockets?

At the other side, for example hand made backsaws are remarkably cheap. A dovetail saw for 205 dollar is cheap, when you consider the amount of work going into a saw.

When you are a woodworker with a normal income, then it wouldn't be smart to buy a 115 dollar mallet. The money is better spend on stuff your really need and can't make easilly yourself. When you are independently rich, please disregard my message.

Brian Holcombe
11-09-2013, 7:59 AM
Anytime Dave, keep doing what you do!

george wilson
11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Adam,please feel completely free to ignore any advice I may give. Ignore this too: It is really not the wisest thing to jump in here with 24 posts and assume you know the capabilities of everyone here,their backgrounds,etc.. At least be here for a while,look up work that has been posted,and do some research. Then make up your mind as to what you want to say. There is a lot of work posted in the FAQ section of this Neanderthal forum. It is at the top of the column,and might be a bit hard to find.

Click on "Neanderthal Haven Announcements". Then click on the 3rd. choice down,the
faq section. I wish it wasn't buried like it now is. It used to be visible right off at the top.

Please advise me as to what I said that was not true about the plane adjusting hammer,if you have the eye to judge it. I really do.

If I DID NOT say the first quote you put up,why bring it up? It was directed at me,wasn't it?:) I'll admit,it is possible that I did say it,being a bit old fashioned,and expecting chisels to have either a proper tang and forged bolster,or a socket. But,this new design seems to be the way chisels are headed. It takes me a while to get onboard with new things sometimes. There is no doubt in me that the old way of designing chisels was the best way,though. With an acknowledgment that these are made by a small company who does not have the wherewithal to make forged blades,what they ARE doing does show good workmanship,and the steel is excellent.

Before anyone bans me,I hope you will read this post and tell me what I have said that is not true. I do think I will continue to make myself a mallet when I need one. They just aren't that hard to make,really,are they? I have 2 or 3 others lying about,made from wheel fellies. Admittedly,I have an advantage,having access to wagon wheel parts.

I have not intended to make others think I posted this post in an unkind frame of mind.

David Weaver
11-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Well…someone (not you) once wrote on this forum

I don't know if it was me, but I very well could've written that about the parers. That's sort of my opinion, too, but that's the way tools are made now and that's how I'd do it, too, if I was to make a chisel.

It is OK to have contrary opinions about tools that are even good. Lots of people have negative opinions about japanese tools, despite there being no chisels that are better made than top line japanese chisels, or even mid-line chisels.

Sean Hughto
11-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow, someone once wrote that they were not impressed with a chisel and gave a specific reason for their opinion! Yeah, Adam, we wouldn't want to exchange opinions about tools around here. And if this forum has a bad reputation out there on the internets with those who think no one should be honest and instead only hand out meaningless "atta-boys," so much the better - they won't wanna come here and bog down threads with "everyone gets a trophy" blather. Just my opinion.

Hilton Ralphs
11-09-2013, 11:02 AM
To avoid any more hair pulling and handbag throwing, here is the quote from the 9th January 2011.

i saw some blue spruce a while back and was pretty unimpressed with a slab of bar stock jammed into a rosewood handle and dubbed a chisel. but people seem to love them...

george wilson
11-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks,Ralph. That was helpful!!:):):)

But,the assessment ignores the fact that these chisels are made with A2 steel,which is my choice for the dozens of punches and dies I have made for my wife's jewelry making business. I am OLD,and she is not so old. Thus,I have wanted the die sets to still be useful to her very survival as a business when I am gone. Id have made them of powdered metal,except I don't think it was available when I started. When I did see it at MSC co.,it was only in certain sizes and horribly expensive!! And,I doubt I have the means to properly harden and temper it(no inert gas furnace,just a plain electric one). The A2 has lasted quite well for 18 years with minimum resharpening.

I still don't know WHY this quote was tossed in with a discussion of my reaction to the mallet. As to the mallet I made,I freely confessed that I did not design it!!:) It truly is hard to beat designs that were made back in a time where the general public was a lot more conscious of art and good design. And demanded it in their products,including tools. As a society(World wide),we have lost so much of that today. Most all of the good,small saw makers these days are using handle designs that hark back to the great designs of the 18th. and early 19th. C..

By the way,I am not aware that this site has a bad reputation.

P.S.: I'm going down to Williamsburg and STEAL,yes,STEAL a couple of cannon balls to put into my hand bag!!!!!:) Reminds me of the time my wife found a black jack in a flea market. She asked me what it was,and I explained to her what it was used for. Then,she tried it on the back of her head. A loud OUCH was the result as the lead shot formed itself around her skull!!

Adam Maxwell
11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Adam,please feel completely free to ignore any advice I may give. Ignore this too: It is really not the wisest thing to jump in here with 24 posts and assume you know the capabilities of everyone,their backgrounds,etc.. At least be here for a while,look up work that has been posted,and do some research. Then make up your mind as to what you want to say.

Actually, I've been lurking here for years. I'm familiar with your background and the work you've done, and would venture a guess that I've read most of your postings, so I well know that you have posted a lot of useful information. For various reasons (dislike of all web forum software, participation in the oldtools email list, etc), I don't post much.

If I DID NOT say the first quote you put up,why bring it up? It was directed at me,wasn't it?:)

Merely a response to your quote immediately preceding it :). I've been here long enough to remember that conversation.

There is no doubt in me that the old way of designing chisels was the best way,though. With an acknowledgment that these are made by a small company who does not have the wherewithal to make forged blades,what they ARE doing does show good workmanship,and the steel is excellent.

On this, I agree 100%, and vintage chisels have a one-way trip into my shop. Your second sentence in that quote kind of changes the tone, and we all sometimes forget a qualifier like that (yeah, and every time I point a finger, I've got five pointing back at me…I know!).

I think this is important, because I know both of the small toolmakers have seen these posts. They ain't Stanley tools or even Lie-Nielsen, and it's possible that unsolicited, un-nuanced negative feedback in a public forum could have a significant effect on their bottom line. If there's a helpful suggestion you have on design, why not make it privately?

Before anyone bans me,I hope you will read this post and tell me what I have said that is not true. I do think I will continue to make myself a mallet when I need one. They just aren't that hard to make,really,are they? I have 2 or 3 others lying about,made from wheel fellies. Admittedly,I have an advantage,having access to wagon wheel parts.

I'm not really arguing facts, so much as suggesting that there's a better way to handle negative feedback to small tool manufacturers. If nothing else, it hurts the SMC brand with potential (sponsors?) and members, at least the ones I know who've walked away in disgust. That's unfortunate, because there's still useful knowledge shared here, amongst the discussions of sharpening :).

As a sort of peace offering, here's my mallet, which is the first tool I made…back when I still used power tools, maybe 5 years ago. The head is laminated from some oak pallet, and the handle is truly awful. It works, so I've kept using it while I build other stuff, like the plane I just finished. When this mallet finally disintegrates, I'll make a new one, because that's how I roll. In the meantime, say anything you want about it; most people can't believe it's a mallet!

Brian Ashton
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't know. Seeing as how a hammer is a pretty fundamental tool for an awful lot of what we do, a lifetime hammer for $115 doesn't seem that unreasonable. That being said, I have the lee valley metal hammer with the wooden face inserts, and it is fantastic.
I would love to see if an all wood, heavy hammer would be easier on my hands. I strongly suspect it would. For a hand tool guy, it is probably not a bad investment.

You're the woodworker, and you're buying a wooden mallet! When I bought my first lathe back in the early 80s I ordered about 15 chisels and scrapers from Lee Valley. All the chisels I needed except one were unhanded, the 1/2 spindle gouge, so I could make all the other handles… It wasn't about saving the 5 bucks that the handles would cost it was that handles, mallets, and the likes are fundamental to the woodworker and should also be made by them. I dunno but to me it's sacrilegious to buy them.

george wilson
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
As some have stated,this is a FORUM,not a cheering section (unless it wants to be). A forum is a place where ideas are stated and debated. I am not going to say an ugly hammer is the cat's meow if I really don't think so. Sorry if that offends you,but that its the way it is. We are a free society last time I checked,and have the right to express opinions. If my learned and experienced opinion based on a lifetime of work saves a person from buying an ugly and VERY expensive hammer(I'm NOT saying mallet here,please note),then it is a benefit to society. Sorry if this sounds egotistical,but I AM qualified to render an opinion about tool design. Just because someone puts a tool up for sale,it does not necessarily mean that the tool is well made,well designed,or worth the price,does it?

Endorsing any tool that gets advertised here reminds me of the American Rifleman magazine. I swear,they never met a gun they didn't just love,no matter how badly made or bizarre or cheap looking it was. Made me suspicious of believing anything they said about the gun. I think they got 1 for free for doing an article on it.

Why did the plane hammer get into the discussion? Someone posted a link to it during the conversation.

Nice miter plane. Who made it?

Kees Heiden
11-09-2013, 1:09 PM
Very nice miterplane. You made it Adam?

Chris Vandiver
11-09-2013, 1:46 PM

Stealth gloat? It is a very nice looking plane.

Adam Maxwell
11-09-2013, 1:50 PM

Yes, thanks. My first attempt, finished about a week ago; all done with hand tools. If you google for "storify maxwellarm mitre plane" you'll end up with more pictures and details.

Kees Heiden
11-09-2013, 3:15 PM
Yes nice work. Must have been lots of work! I liked that picture of your son stemming up in the hallway. ;)

george wilson
11-09-2013, 4:30 PM
Yes,it is a really nice accomplishment,Adam!!

Brian Holcombe
11-09-2013, 4:50 PM
George, did a little reading up on your mentor, he mentored under Josef Albers? That is very cool, he was a key figure in the early modernist movement.

george wilson
11-09-2013, 5:17 PM
Mr. Reimann's credentials are a mile long.

Chris Vandiver
11-09-2013, 8:06 PM
Yes nice work. Must have been lots of work! I liked that picture of your son stemming up in the hallway. ;)

He's in training for the Kor/Beck route on Middle Cathedral Rock(major stemming problem).

Kees Heiden
11-10-2013, 2:34 AM
Just looked up the Kor/Beck. Quite an adventure that's going to be. Wish him luck.

Rockclimbing is fun (and sometimes scary!) but my chimney technique isn't great.

Chris Vandiver
11-10-2013, 3:49 AM
Just looked up the Kor/Beck. Quite an adventure that's going to be. Wish him luck.

Rockclimbing is fun (and sometimes scary!) but my chimney technique isn't great.

Kees,

I was just kidding. I have know idea why Adam's son was stemming up the hallway walls. Probably because he could! Or maybe because it's good practice! And yes, the Kor/Beck is a great route. It used to be quite a test piece, back in the day.

Kees Heiden
11-10-2013, 4:02 AM
Oops, I didn't look at the names! You got me.