PDA

View Full Version : Glue a Pizza Peel

Mark Walden
11-06-2013, 8:29 PM
I need to make 2 pizza peels for a restaurant.The big spatula thing that they put the pizza in the oven with. The one he has now was made by a local guy that passed on and is made out of Spruce. i have the Spruce but I don't have a 15in planer. and the one he has now was made out of one wide piece and warped.
So I was going to cut them down to 1 1/2 in and glue them together, it should be more stable that way. What kind of glue would you use that is food safe and and can go in a Pizza oven?

Jamie Buxton
11-06-2013, 8:35 PM
I wouldn't use PVA (aka Titebond, Yellow Carpenters Glue, etc). It is thermoplastic -- that is, it gets soft if you heat it up. Epoxy is my go-to.

Jerry Miner
11-07-2013, 1:44 AM
I used Titebond II for my pizza peel. No issues yet with glue softening. It doesn't really spend much time in the oven---just a few seconds while you're putting a pizza in or taking one out. I don't use it commercially, though, of course.

Yes, it will be less likely to cup if it's a lamination of several smaller pieces. If you're worried about the heat and the glue, then, yes, use epoxy.

Mark Walden
11-07-2013, 1:52 AM
My friend just told me about a Gorilla that is PVA glue that is FDA approved mildew resistant and moisture resistant have you heard of that.
Mark

John TenEyck
11-07-2013, 8:17 AM
Titebond II and III (I didn't look at TB I) are both FDA approved for indirect food contact. TB II has a strength of 1750 psi after overnight conditioning at 150 F. TB III is 800 psi. I used TB II for the peel I made about 15 years ago and it's still fine though it's only used in a home oven at 450 - 500 F max. Spruce has low conductivity and the peel is not left in the oven very long.

John

hank dekeyser
11-08-2013, 3:14 PM
Plus one for the good old TiteBond - It's almost all I use and no regrets - pizza peels, breadboards, whatever - Not too sure I'd go w/ spruce though?? Glueing up strips in the best method IMHO - easier to make the handle that way - glue it up - belt sand it - oil it - done - mmmmmmmmm pizza