PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM16 question

Joe Thomas67
11-06-2013, 5:13 PM
Greeting all, my name is Joe Thomas and I enjoy reading all the information this site offers. This is my first post and have a couple questions for you experts.

1. I sold my Rikon Deluxe and purchased a new MM16, :D hopefully I get it next week. Anyway, what do you think is best, just wiring a short pigtail and making extension cord or wiring probably 20' of 10g or 12g wire with a plug direct to the saw? I would rather do a pigtail so I don't have all that cord hanging on the saw when I'm not using it. But not sure if that extra connection would cause more amp draw or any problems. An electrician I am not. I only have 1 220 outlet and my table saw and my jointer uses it. I wired both of them with a long power cord and hate having all that cord hanging off the machines.

2. I am going to get a 1" carbide blade for it but want to know if I should go with a re-saw king or Lenox or something else. Any of you that tried both Id like to hear your opinions.

3. Lastly from you MM owners are there anything I need to look out for or any tips or tricks with the MM?

Thanks and I will post some pictures when I get it up and running.

Joe

Bill White
11-06-2013, 5:34 PM
I use a short "cheater" cord on my 220v TS. Just made sure that it wasn't longer than necessary and was heavy enough in gauge to not cause any load probs. You should be OK if ya don't go nuts with the length.
Bill

John Coloccia
11-06-2013, 5:39 PM
The Resaw King is an awesome blade, but it took several tries for me to get one that worked properly. The ones that are built right work great...incredible, actually. Order one with confidence, but if it comes out of whack, don't be afraid to raise a bit of hell and have them send you a proper blade, but the finish is as good as the finish off a planer if you're doing it right. I wish they would make a blade like that with a pitch of maybe 1/8" for thinner stock.

Mac Cambra
11-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I have the MM16 and simply made an extension cord. It is 15', and 12 gauge flexible cable if memory serves, whatever the 30A rated gauge is. No issues with excessive voltage drop or heat dissipation in the cable or the connections.

Thomas Hotchkin
11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I used #10 wire with a 30 amp CB. I made a custom 4" elbow for dust collection to replace factory unit, no tripping over dust hose anymore. Tom

jerry cousins
11-07-2013, 11:11 AM
i have the older generation mm16. i made a pigtail adding on to the factory leads. after many years with the lennox now using a resaw king - it's the best i have found.
enjoy the saw.
jerry

Erik Loza
11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Joe, I recommend 10GA cable and Twist-Loc plugs/outlets.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jim Andrew
11-07-2013, 8:07 PM
My MM 16 is the old '04, and the book recommended a dedicated circuit with 10 gauge wire. Yours has more hp, but Erik recommends for the company.

James Biddle
11-08-2013, 9:41 AM
Joe, I recommend 10GA cable and Twist-Loc plugs/outlets.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

I did the same...a 4' pigtail (#10/3) with a 30 amp Twist-Lok, and a 20' extension cord made of the same. Then you can use that extension cord for any 220 tool and not pay for long pigtails on each tool. The Twist-Loc connectors keep the connections secure.

If the long cords you have on your TS and jointer are 10/3, you could cut one of them and make your extension cord out one it.