PDA

View Full Version : Bad Router encounter.

Bill Wyko
11-06-2013, 4:57 PM
Had a bad encounter with a router today. I go to the urgent care and ask what it might cost with my health care plan. The answer is "I don't know" I ask how much is a tetanus shot? "Sorry, don't know" I go to the Dr's office next door, doc isn't in, can't see you. They did say the shot is around 110.00 bucks but the office visit could vary depending on my coverage. I finally gave up & went to Walmart, bought some bandages and triple antibiotic ointment and took care of it myself, around 6 bucks. Now THATS what I call the "Affordable care act!!!!

pics later tonight.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2013, 5:15 PM
Yep,faster, cheaper, more caring attention. Hope you heal up fast.

Jerry Thompson
11-06-2013, 5:22 PM
All of my Cowboy friends use Super Glue to close up wounds. I don't know how serious the wounds have to be before they call a neighbor over to sew it up.

Bill White
11-06-2013, 5:31 PM
Man, You're a lucky camper on an injury fixed with bandages. I'm a big fan of Neosporin ointment. Really helps the healing.
Bill

Judson Green
11-06-2013, 5:50 PM
Oooo, I can't wait for the pictures!

HANK METZ
11-06-2013, 6:34 PM
Real men use this cure for flesh wounds- 0$:
:)

Joe Scharle
11-06-2013, 6:44 PM
Don't poo-poo tetanus; There is no cure....

Graeme Lunt
11-06-2013, 7:18 PM
I'd strongly urge you to get a tetanus shot as soon as possible. If you get tetanus then $110 will have seemed like a bargain.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Tetanus

David Helm
11-06-2013, 7:23 PM
Anybody who works in shops or in construction should always have a current tetanus shot. The vaccine lasts 10 years, and renewals are no problem.

Rick Fisher
11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
When I bludgeoned the back of my hand with a chisel earlier in the year, I suspected there was a problem but didn't want to be dramatic in case there wasn't .. So I went to the hospital asking for a Tetanus shot.

The doc said as a woodworker, I should already have my tetanus up to date. He told me that getting tetanus was rare but nothing to fool around with ..

Andrew Joiner
11-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Had a bad encounter with a router today. I go to the urgent care and ask what it might cost with my health care plan. The answer is "I don't know" I ask how much is a tetanus shot? "Sorry, don't know" I go to the Dr's office next door, doc isn't in, can't see you. They did say the shot is around 110.00 bucks but the office visit could vary depending on my coverage. I finally gave up & went to Walmart, bought some bandages and triple antibiotic ointment and took care of it myself, around 6 bucks. Now THATS what I call the "Affordable care act!!!!

pics later tonight.

Bill, I'm with you all the way. I've even stitched my own wounds with dental floss. Not just because I'm cheap, it's just faster and easy to do. Be sure you clean the wound well first.

I get a low-cost tetanus shot at my county health department every 10 years. I'm due for one this winter,but they will be free now with the Obamacare as they are preventative.

Bill Wyko
11-07-2013, 1:14 PM
Luckily I'm not due for the shot for 3 more years. Got one in 2006 when I did this to the finger next to this one on a router table doing a pull cut. The E room visit would have been somewhere around $700.00 to $1000.00 and that's with good insurance. Unfortunately it's a gap that was cut out so there's nothing to sew back together. The wife wouldn't let me take pics, she thought that was crazy. I'll take some tonight when I change the bandage. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt today, just a nuisance when working. A little advice to my fellow BOTL (Brothers of the lumber) When using a colt or laminate trimmer, DO NOT hold it by the base that is against the wood!!! What happened was, I was cutting a groove around the inside of a cabinet door frame, the bolt on the bottom of the bit hit the edge of the bench and bound the bit in the groove. My hand was holding the router by the bottom of the base which allowed my finger to get under it when it caught and kicked it away from the frame. Had I been holding it by the body, this wouldn't have even been a concern.

Rick Potter
11-07-2013, 1:27 PM
Wow, Bill,

That is almost exactly what ALMOST happened to me last year. Using one hand on the base of the Colt to steady it. It really woke me up when I saw how close my finger was to the bit. That was the day I made a pear shaped base with a handle for the Colt.

Rick Potter

Joe Scharle
11-07-2013, 1:27 PM
Never got on the Colt bandwagon...'cause all (9) of my routers have handles. Even my Rotozips have handles!

Yonak Hawkins
11-07-2013, 1:58 PM
Sorry for your injury, Bill. I try to make them rare for myself, however I feel I should have taken the advice of a friend of mine early in my woodworking career to take pictures of my hands so I could look back and remember what they were like when they were whole. Too late now. I agree with your wife.

Mike Henderson
11-07-2013, 2:15 PM
I feel your pain. I had a router accident a few years ago and went to the ER to get the finger sewed up. It was about $1,000 for the sewing and an antibiotic shot. Had my tetanus up to date. After that surprise, I took the stitches out myself when it came time.

Mike

John Downey
11-08-2013, 9:23 PM
Man, my last tetanus shot was in 1994! I better go get one before my insurance vaporizes this time next year!

Sorry to hear about the accident, they suck, no two ways about it. Worst I ever did was a biscuit joiner ripped up the ends of two fingers (dumb, dumb, dumb). Lucky for me the boss was away that week and my wife was visiting her mother - I didn't even get yelled at!

Drill press bit me in June, dumb again. Burr on the block of aluminum cut the skin on my wrist. Didn't seem that bad, but it left one heck of a scar - and right over a vein! I guess that one was closer than I realized at the time.

Phil Thien
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
I feel your pain. I had a router accident a few years ago and went to the ER to get the finger sewed up. It was about $1,000 for the sewing and an antibiotic shot. Had my tetanus up to date. After that surprise, I took the stitches out myself when it came time.

Mike

Ditto. Cut my thumb at work, $1000. Six stiches, four hours in the emergency room.

Judson Green
11-08-2013, 11:51 PM
OK... I was told there was gonna be pictures.