PDA

View Full Version : The use of the router

Tom O'Donnell
06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
I may have suggested this before Why do we not have a Forum on Routing where all the routing questions can be in one area.
Looking through the postings there is little on the use of the router.
I have enclosed some pics on routing to start the ball rolling The diagram is a handle to be used on bedroom furniture and I was asked if it could be cut with the router. It is possible with a CNC router but what about in the Router Table or Plunge Routing. I would be interested in your comments and suggestions I certainly will be looking at the problem over the next few days. (I cannot resist a challenge) how about you? Pass on your thoughts and I will forward my results later.
The two other pics show small mantle clock 280mm long x 120mm high and a dish 300mm x 180mm x 30mm hollowed out to a depth of 27mm.

Tom

James Carmichael
06-05-2005, 2:53 AM
I can't answer the "why" but will say I like the Creek just fine the way it is. The number of forums and the level of specialization is just right so that I both know where to find what I'm interested in, and can be sure if I post a question, lots of people will see it because it's not in obscure forum that few members visit.

Tom O'Donnell
06-05-2005, 3:32 AM
I can't answer the "why" but will say I like the Creek just fine the way it is. The number of forums and the level of specialization is just right so that I both know where to find what I'm interested in, and can be sure if I post a question, lots of people will see it because it's not in obscure forum that few members visit.

James what is your interest in routing?? and where do you find your answers??
Tom

John Hart
06-05-2005, 7:18 AM
Hi Tom,

I sure like the tray and the clock! Very nice indeed. As far as that handle...whew! You're looking at some pretty small router bits for sure! I would say that if you're going to do that from a solid piece using 2MM bits (yikes) you could cut a nice jig for the bit to follow and work really slow. Nice idea though!

Larry Reimer
06-05-2005, 7:24 AM
Tom, interesting question on the handle. I'm so old and feeble minded I have a hard time thinking in metric terms. That handle is about 5.5" by 1.5". I don't think I'd try that with my plunge rounter, the workpiece would get lost under the base. I think I'd do that on my router table. I would lay out two handles in mirror image on a board, cut to shape and profile and then cut the board in half to yield two handles. (did that make sense?) In fact I'd probably do that with extra waste between the handles, say a couple of inches between them just to give myself a piece big enough to handle on the router table before separating the handles.

Larry Reimer
06-05-2005, 7:27 AM
Oh yes, nice work on those two pieces you show. You're obviously skilled with the use of the router.