PDA

View Full Version : A couple of saws

Ron Bontz
11-06-2013, 1:44 PM
I don't post here as much as some where else so I thought I would throw up a few saws and see what folks thought. Your thoughts are always welcome. Enough said. 274508274509274510274511274512274513Thanks.

Patrick McCarthy
11-06-2013, 2:02 PM
Well Ron, to be candid, they are pretty much YOUR standard fare, which is to say FABULOUS. What is the striped wood on the closed handle?

Chris Griggs
11-06-2013, 2:14 PM
The No. 9 with the Regan handle is extra awesome!

Mike Holbrook
11-06-2013, 2:24 PM
Any of them for sale? I would love to have a small miter box, or tenon saw 16-20" but it looks like there is a 5-6 month waiting line ;-(

Harold Burrell
11-06-2013, 2:52 PM
hmmm...It's kinda hard to tell from the pics...

If you REALLY want my opinion, I will need to see them up close...as in, in my hands...for an indeterminate amount of time. :D

I would be more than happy to write a detailed review for my magazine (which doesn't actually exist yet...)

Judson Green
11-06-2013, 3:12 PM
Yes sir, well done! Dig the Regan handle too. Also really like the stepped back on the last one. Is that called something?

Ron Bontz
11-06-2013, 3:55 PM
Ah, the striped handle is Zebra wood- 10ppi, 8* rake, 5* fleam. A remake of one I made some time back, but with the improvements. It's on it's way to Africa. Fitting, don't you think?, The stepped down is just called a stepped back. Nothing fancy. These were all previous orders. If they were for sale, I would not post them here. Thank you for the thoughts. :)

Casey Gooding
11-06-2013, 4:41 PM
Great work as always, Ron.

Kevin Hampshire
11-06-2013, 5:30 PM
My wife was very impressed, which is a good thing. Now I need to convince her that we need one or two or three...

Jim Matthews
11-06-2013, 6:36 PM
I'm so glad you ran with the Regan handle.

Some of these saws are massive.
Building something durable, and comfortable must be a challenge.

Is that quilted Sycamore I see in photo 7?

Your stuff? It's first rate.
Kudos

Jacob Reverb
11-06-2013, 7:20 PM
Very nice!

I've always wondered about the "open" handles you see on dovetail saws: Do they commonly break along the grain? Also, what is the reason for making the handles open? I mean, it looks neat but I don't see a purpose behind making them that way that warrants the (I suspect) increased risk of them breaking...

Chris Griggs
11-06-2013, 7:24 PM

I'd say that's straight up QS sycamore. The stuff is always gorgeous when you quarter saw it...and its almost always quartersawn due to it instability. I heart sycamore.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-06-2013, 7:49 PM
like the hang on those two open-handled little guys, and really liking the G&G "cloud lift" thing going on with that one.

Gordon Eyre
11-06-2013, 9:53 PM
What do I think? You da man, and your saws are beautiful as well as functional. Do I wish I owned one, you bet! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Ron Bontz
11-06-2013, 11:02 PM
A) Quarter cut sycamore
B) open handles can be more prone to breaking if not used correctly. Like a plane tote. Grain direction is key as well. I can't remember ever seeing a broken dovetail saw handle though. They can be made with a lambs tongue as well. But more time consuming. Hmmm. Maybe I will make one just to see if I like it.
C)"G&G "cloud lift" thing" never even occurred to me. :) Truthfully, it was a request.

Winton Applegate
11-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Does me good to see such high quality work and that there are people out there demanding same.
To me the wood is both beautiful and creepy all at the same time.
I had a girl friend like that once.

THANK YOU for taking the time to post photos here.

Hilton Ralphs
11-07-2013, 12:48 AM

I'm particularly fond of this one. I say it's the best of the lot by far.

Chris Hachet
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm so glad you ran with the Regan handle.

Some of these saws are massive.
Building something durable, and comfortable must be a challenge.

Your stuff? It's first rate.
Kudos
I think I am going to buy one of Ron's saws to be a stable mate for the Bad Axe saw you sold me. That Bad Axe is really earning its keep....big-time...

Jim Matthews
11-07-2013, 10:17 AM
I think I am going to buy one of Ron's saws to be a stable mate for the Bad Axe saw you sold me. That Bad Axe is really earning its keep....big-time...

Ron's saws are every bit as good as the more established lines.
He's also a decent sort, for a Blackhawks fan...

(Montreal Canadiens fan, in exile near Boston among the Massholes)