PDA

View Full Version : Turning Polymer Clay

Joe Stein
11-06-2013, 1:29 PM
Looking for advice.

I was reading an article by Ed Davidson in Woodturning Design about him doing some turnings with Polymer Clay and decided to give it a rip. I did all that Ed suggested in the article but I noticed when I used the skew I got a few digs in the material.

Any thoughts on what else I might try - I was thinking about sanding instead of using any type of gouge.

Thanks,
Joe

Richard Coers
11-06-2013, 1:39 PM
Any advise on tool useage and tool selection can only assume you are proficient at both sharpening and tool useage. I would suggest that you are being too agressive with the cut, or using the skew like a scraper. There is no better tool than a honed skew used properly. I once had a beginner in a turning class, that was struggling cutting beads and coves with a gouge. He repeatedly told me that he was much better with a skew. Based on his hand skills, I was reluctant to believe him. He told me he had the skew in his truck and would like to use it. He brought it in, layed it flat on the tool rest, and proceded to scrape the beads on the piece. My point, his idea of how to use a skew and mine were completely opposite of each other.

robert baccus
11-06-2013, 2:13 PM
The polymer clay is a new one to me--can you tell us about it?

Grant Wilkinson
11-06-2013, 4:51 PM
I turn my polymer clay pens with a spindle gouge. No worries.

Joe Stein
11-08-2013, 8:36 AM
Grant, Do you put any CA Glue on before you start turning?

Joe Stein
11-08-2013, 8:40 AM
Robert,

Let me pull the article and i'll get back with you. My first effort was with a bracelet helper kit. I wrapped the clay around the tube and baked it for a period of time. When baking was complete submerged it in water for a few minutes and then let it dry. I then attempted to turn it - with some success and then applied multiple coats of CA. If I get the picture uploaded I'll share my first attempt.

Grant Wilkinson
11-08-2013, 9:38 AM
Joe: I don't put anything on them before turning. I don't bake with the tubes in, though. My wife mixes up the colours as she likes them, rolls them into sausages of about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch in diameter, then we bake them. When they are done and cool, I drill as I would any other material, epoxy the tube into place, then then turn. I've done quite a few using this process and none have failed.

Jim Burr
11-09-2013, 11:50 PM
PC has been around for many, many years. It is usually baked. The canes I get from Toni are usually sized. Carbide works very well, as do extremely light cuts with a surgery sharp skew. Never a need for CA until you finish it. It's not for bowl or HF turners!!