PDA

View Full Version : A problem Soved

Jerry Thompson
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I cannot read drawings with the least little bit of complexity. I have been making Shaker Clocks. After making 6 of them I still make cuts too short as they have dimensions for length with the tenon shoulder to shoulder length and then the total length of the rail as an example. These are on different areas of the drawing. I cannot read but the simplest of directions. It has to be visual for me. So my wife is drawing up on a piece of paper a cut list I understand. I tried this once and had the wrong dimensions down even after checking it over a few times. I have had this problem ever since I can remember. I tried to hide it. I did not do a lot of things because I thought I was dumb. I have no idea what is missing in my brain but it ain't there. To put it in perspective it is as though one is trying to read IRS instructions.

Harold Burrell
11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I cannot read drawings with the least little bit of complexity. I have been making Shaker Clocks. After making 6 of them I still make cuts too short as they have dimensions for length with the tenon shoulder to shoulder length and then the total length of the rail as an example. These are on different areas of the drawing. I cannot read but the simplest of directions. It has to be visual for me. So my wife is drawing up on a piece of paper a cut list I understand. I tried this once and had the wrong dimensions down even after checking it over a few times. I have had this problem ever since I can remember. I tried to hide it. I did not do a lot of things because I thought I was dumb. I have no idea what is missing in my brain but it ain't there. To put it in perspective it is as though one is trying to read IRS instructions.

Why is one thing that might be easy for some, more difficult to someone else? I have no idea...

You're obviously not "dumb". My goodness...your writing ability alone proves otherwise. Your thoughts in this matter are VERY concise, logical and well stated.

Probably the opposite is true. You are probably gifted in another area. I have found that some of the most gifted individuals are "lacking" in certain other areas. I tend to be quite comfortable with instructions. However, I am extremely lacking in the area of creativity. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you excelled in being creative.

Have you tried to make stuff without drawings?

Bill White
11-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Jerry, I ask this with the utmost respect and concern.
Have you ever been checked for dyslexia?
Is it numbers or words that give ya fits?
Just a thought extended with kindness.
Bill

Wade Lippman
11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I can't remember what debits and credits are. I know the concepts, but I don't know which is which. I can look it up, repeat it 10 times, and in 5 minutes I have forgotten it. It is a bit embarrassing for someone in finance.
Same problem with port and starboard; though I have no problem with bow and stern because they aren't symmetrical.

It's not a matter of being dumb; just a bit of miswiring in the brain.
Sure, it is dyslexia, but that's just a name; it doesn't help any knowing what it is called.

Larry Browning
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a mental block with Sketchup. I have tried multiple times to learn how to use this program and I just don't get it. No matter what I do, it just doesn't work for me. The simplest drawing takes me hours and hours to do, and even then it isn't right. I am only a few years from retirement, so my plan is to wait until I retire and then make it my goal in life to learn this program.
I just hope Dave Richards is still around and willing to help me in 3 or 4 years.

Jerry Thompson
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a friend who is dyslexic, agnostic and an insomniac. He sits up all night wondering if there really is a doG. My other friend is also afflicted. He spells his name boB. Words do not, per se, give me fits. Drawings are "locked up." I have trouble seeing each part. My math ability is @ a very low level, e.g., add, subtract, multiply and divide. Yet I am a Registered Nurse. I have used work arounds unknown even to me. My main ability is my Black Belt in BS. This has served me well in my 70+ years.

paul cottingham
11-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I, too am dyslexic. I have a masters degree, but even basic math gives name utter fits. So for woodworking I basically just try to make sure things are proportional, and use dividers much more than rulers or tape measures.

Justin Ludwig
11-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Same problem with port and starboard;

Port is 4 letters. Left is 4 letters. That's how I did it when I first joined the Navy.

@Jerry
Try associating things with something you're comfortable with doing or in which you excel. I have all sorts of "work-arounds."

Harold Burrell
11-06-2013, 1:01 PM
I have trouble seeing each part. My math ability is @ a very low level, e.g., add, subtract, multiply and divide.

I am exactly the opposite. I see the parts. I have trouble with the whole. I have had (in the past) a little recording studio business. My problem with the "mix" was hearing the whole. I can hear the parts...but to hear the "whole" took work.

I always did well in math. However, I always hated English...creative writing...speech...etc. That kind of makes my current profession as a pastor a bit of a struggle. :o

John TenEyck
11-06-2013, 1:31 PM
I don't have problems reading even complex drawings. I have problems keeping the correct numbers in my head long enough to cut the parts correctly. I particularly hate integral tenons. Somehow my brain remembers the finished shoulder to shoulder length instead of the overall length, and I can't begin to count the number of parts I've cut too short. A cut list, organized by overall length first, followed by shoulder to shoulder length solved the problem, but I found a better way after cutting at least a dozen parts too short from some really figured wood that I just couldn't replace. I vowed to start using loose tenons wherever possible, and that eventually led to the development of my incredibly low cost ($50), easy to build and even easier to use horizontal router mortiser. Now there is just one part length to read off the drawing - and no mis-cut parts. Then I found out that it's just an overall easier and faster process and joints come out perfectly aligned and really tight with no fooling around required to get them so.

I'm happy you found a work around for your problem - but there's an easier way.

John

Harry Hagan
11-06-2013, 4:21 PM
Port is 4 letters. Left is 4 letters. That's how I did it when I first joined the Navy.

@Jerry
Try associating things with something you're comfortable with doing or in which you excel. I have all sorts of "work-arounds."

For me, it's thinking of them in alphabetical order:

Bow

M N O Port Q R Starboard T U V

Stern

John Coloccia
11-06-2013, 4:39 PM
Jerry, I think you might be approaching it the wrong way. On of the difficult parts of woodworking, machining, and ESPECIALLY instrument building is when you have a measurement like 3", that means 3" from WHAT? Where's the reference edge? The quickest way to get into trouble is to perform your machining steps in the wrong order and setup the measurement from the wrong edge. The quickest way to get into trouble, and only be off by 1/8" all the time (very frustrating!) is to cut from the wrong side of the blade!

I would bet money that this is your problem. If that's your problem, the next time you look at a bunch of measurements try to take each measurement as it's own, individual cut, and imagine (or draw if you have to) where the fence will be, where the blade will be, the thickness of the blade, etc. It really helps to make drawings here until you internalize where everything is. You have to have a clear picture of what point, usually an edge, the measurement is taken from, and exactly which part of the cutting edge is engaging the cut. It's not easy. It requires thought and you shouldn't be down on yourself for having trouble seeing it, and for having trouble seeing exactly the right order of operations.

If you posted an example of something that gave you trouble, maybe one of us could go through it and explain how and why we would go about machining it a certain way. That might give you insight into successful ways of thinking about the steps involved.

Myk Rian
11-06-2013, 6:32 PM
Same problem with port and starboard
Port has 4 letters. So does left.
Starboard has more letters. So does right.
That's how I do it.

Rich Enders
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Wade,

Rest easy my boy. There is no absolute definition of debit and credit. A debit is simply something recorded in the left column of a journal entry, and a credit is recorded in the right hand column. All else like a bank saying they are crediting or debiting your account is hogwash.

Chris Parks
11-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I second the SU issue, no way no how can I ever conceive of being fluent in it. I have even used two monitors, a tutorial video on one and me following on the other. I can follow but to get a plan from my head to SU? forget it as it is never going to happen. I am battling to draw a straight line with a ruler so SU has no hope. My mathematical skill is at the basic level of multiply add etc so it must be tied in with that. Concepts are another thing but I designed something that is now used world wide in karting, go and figure that one out! I sometimes look back on stuff I have done in awe as I can't even begin to understand how I made it at the time.

Mark Blatter
11-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Interesting how everyone has their own issues. For me it is about recognizing small bits of music. I struggle to recognize the ring tones on my and my wife's phones. Half the time I could not tell you who is calling even though I hear the same ring tone set for each of my kids.

Jacob Reverb
11-07-2013, 4:34 AM
Port is 4 letters. Left is 4 letters.

That's how I learned it, too.

Plus, "starboard" is the side with the "steering board" which makes sense since the Navigation Rules say you yield to boats crossing from your starboard side ("danger zone").

Chris Parks
11-07-2013, 7:46 AM
I was taught that you left port when going on a trip, left and port being the obvious relationship.

Ron Tancrede
11-07-2013, 1:24 PM
I have a mental block with Sketchup.

I can relate Larry; I can't grasp Sketchup myself either, maybe its because I have used AutoCAD for twenty years plus. My brain just cannot relate to that drawing convention.

Dave Anthony
11-07-2013, 2:08 PM

@Jerry

Early boats had oars and a special steering board, the rudder. Since most people were right handed the "steer board" was on the right side of the boat as you face forward. This later became known as the starboard side of the boat, possibly because of accent or poor elocution..

Larry Browning
11-07-2013, 2:54 PM
I have a mental block with Sketchup.

I can relate Larry; I can't grasp Sketchup myself either, maybe its because I have used AutoCAD for twenty years plus. My brain just cannot relate to that drawing convention.

I can't do AutoCAD either. What little exposure I have had with it has been an overwhelming failure. The only drawing program I have ever had any success with was a house plan drawing program called 3D architect. I used it to design my current house with.

'Jacques Malan'
11-08-2013, 1:05 AM
If I measure anything I have to write it down. I can measure something, turn around and have absolutely no idea what the number is. The workshop is littered with little pieces of paper. And I spend hours searching for pens.

Mike Cozad
11-08-2013, 5:33 AM
My Company Commander in boot camp taught us this and took it a step further...

"Just left the red port" to help the baby sailors associtate left with port and red the color of the port running light..... Generally once a young squid was taught this he/she never had trouble with port & starboard...

I'm in the camp with those that can read any drawing, build something from a photo or sketch or create a fix to a specific problem. But to ask me to design something myself, forget about it. I don't have that type of creative bone in my body.

The weird part is as a continuous improvement professional (think lean manufacturing) I have no problem coming up with a whacky creative solution to some production loss point or waste generation point. Even building jigs or conveyors, or guarding to eliminate problems and waste. But I just bought a book on building a bathroom vanity because I just can't seem to sort out how to create one. I bought plans for a quilt rack my wife liked because I couldn't seem to create one appealing to her.

Oh and I have really terrible handwriting. I've read that those with poor penmanship generally are logical not creative thinkers and struggle with creativity such as craft design or painting, etc.... Don't know if that's really true but its what I tell myself so I feel like less of a dummy...

Brian W Smith
11-08-2013, 6:17 AM
Try drawing "old school",scaled plans.May need to invest in some basic drafting tools....but they are pretty cheap.Get a decent T sq and some triangles,and a scale rule.

Now start drawing.......will not argue the whole "cad" thing.I'm saying pare this down to its purest form(scaled drawings) and let your brain develop a "sense" for it.Next is to work on your design skills.Use typing paper whilst you watch TV for instance.Draw basic 3 dimensional shapes.Look at the "forms" they represent.A vanity(posted above),looks like what?Get that idea on paper.....don't worry about details at this point.Get the form down.You are skill building the brain/hand/pencil connection.

Now,you can stop,take a breath......but with the above "early learning" planted and water'd,now you need some research material.A simple furniture BOOK.....not on a computer screen,not a how-to book.Just a good library or used book/s on say 18th century cased pcs for example(or whatever your interest).You'll be looking at photo's....these hopefully(and they will) be photographed by professionals to show proper form and balance to the pce.Your skill building now just got a major shot in the arm....so,see if you can do a free hand,3D drawing of that "vanity" now?

You're looking for THE balance between scaled(and scale is a huge word here),ruled work.....3D inspired drawings(concepts)......and the understanding or signature for whatever pce it is you're trying to design/develop.

Further down the rd,you'll be able to take a photo out of an old furniture book.....with nothing more than some deviders and a scaled rule and come up with working plans.But don't rush it.Lot's and lot's of napkins on a dinner table first.Best of luck,BW