PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12" Lathe

Jonathan Patrick
06-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I bought a Delta 12" variable speed lathe today. It is an older, unassembled lathe but has never been used. It was purchased originally from Delta in Tupelo, Mississippi as defective because it has a crack about 1.5" long in the top of one of the ways approximately 7" from the headstock. My question is does this render this lathe unusable at all? Is it possible to weld or braze cast Iron and would this be feasible for this lathe. With this one exception, as big as it may be, it is in perfect condition. I have a Jet Mini that I just bought and it has about 15 minutes of run time on it. I am new to turning and must sell one. A new bed is over $800.00 so replacing it new is out of the question. Should I part out the Delta and keep the Jet or is the Delta salvageable?

Thanks
Jonathan

John Hart
06-05-2005, 6:57 AM
Jonathan,

I'd get that puppy welded. It can be done securely, just be sure they know what they're doing. Then get it mounted good so there's no undue stress transmitted along that bed. Good score if you ask me!

Gary Max
06-05-2005, 7:47 AM
I am with John---great buy.
Make sure the welder knows what he is doing and you should be set.

Bruce Smith
06-05-2005, 9:10 AM
Have it welded not brazed, just as Gary and John suggested. Make sure the welder is familiar with welding cast iron as it is much different that steel. Depending on the size and the location of the crack it may have to be preheated and electric welded with a nickel rod and then cooled slowely. Hopefully the bed is not already twisted or out of alignment. A project like this sometimes requires the item to be clamped or bolted in a fixture to maintain alignment. One doesn't want to introduce stress risers in the bed either, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to shot peen the area after the job is completed, Anyway I'm sure a good welder will know how to handle it. Looks like you got a geat buy, why is it that I never seem to run into these kind of buys? Good luck, please keep us posted on how you make out.
Bruce in N.B. Canada