PDA

View Full Version : Hurricaine HTC 125 off balance/wobble

Eric Gourieux
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I purchased this chuck a few months back, based on the recommendations of fellow Creekers. It has a bit of wobble, but I have been ignoring it - until now. I've narrowed it down to the insert that came with it. I've checked the lathe spindle, other chucks, etc and have found no other source of the wobble. Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions other than ordering another insert?

Roger Chandler
11-06-2013, 6:28 AM
My HTC-125 runs true. Is it possible that you did not do the tightening process on the insert correctly? The screws that hold the insert should be turned in sequence ......about one or two rounds with the allen wrench, going around to make it seat in the taper true. If one side was torqued a little more somewhere along the line in the mating of the taper surfaces, it is possible to get it out of alignment.

If I were you, I would remove the insert, and redo the process..............that might solve your problem. Good luck Eric!

Mike Cruz
11-06-2013, 8:33 AM
Eric, I've found that any chuck with a screw in insert (like the HTC and Stronghold) are subject to user error in inserting the adapter. I've come up with a method of inserting them that has worked like a charm. And this IS after multiple failures (while TRYING to be super careful) with both the HTC and Strongholds.

My method is this: Clean out the female surface of the chuck. Clean the male surface of the insert. Place the insert into the chuck. Drop all three screws into their holes. Thread all three in until they JUST start to grab with some pressure. I use three allen wrenches (one that is provided by HTC, and either two others that I have from sets, or two others from other HTC chucks I've ordered...I have plenty). Once all three of the screws are just starting to grip, I insert all three allen wrenches in the same respective position to one another. I move each just a bit, rotating around from one wrench to the other until all three have gone as far "left" as they can go. Then I remove the allen wrenches, and reposition them all...again in the same position respective to one another as far to the right as possible. Then I repeat the above process until I cannot tighten any of them any more. This ensures both, that all three screws are moving the insert down at the same rate, and that each screw goes in just as far as the other two.

If need be, I can do a little tutorial on how I do this...with pics. It just makes it so easy. Of course, you will need three allen wrenches to do it this way. Otherwise, it is the same process, but you have to keep removing your ONE allen wrench with each little turn, then make sure you insert it in the next screw in the same position. Sure, it works, but it takes a LOT of patience, and attention to "where you are in the next step". One can easily rush through it.