PDA

View Full Version : Tip on a contest for a free plane kit!!!

Louis Bois
06-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I know...I know...I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with this Shepherd Tool Stuff...but since their website redesign, I find myself going back there often so I don't miss out on any great sales.

Well, the sales are happening from time to time, but this is different! They've got a link on their main page to a contest!!! Check it out, as you may be the lucky winner (3 winners, in fact) of a brass chariot kit!!! I've already got 2 of these kits and am far too familiar with the website to enter...shooting ducks in a barrel so to speak...but the questions are fairly easy if ya read a bit!

There's another hook for the lucky winners...I had to rub my eyes when I read that last paragraph...did you say 50% off?!? Why can't you guys do this when I have some spare cash?!?

Good luck!

...again, no affiliation to said company...just like quality...yadayadayada...

John Shuk
06-05-2005, 7:16 AM
I'm all over it. I'm a little confused though. Thats normal though.

Ben Knebel
06-05-2005, 9:01 AM
I'm all over it. I'm a little confused though. Thats normal though.

Hi John;
I'd be very glad to unconfuse you. I am prepared to clarify anything--short of actually giving away the answers :D
Regards
Ben
www.shepherdtool.com

Ben Knebel
06-05-2005, 6:17 PM
Some one e-mailed me asking for my birth month in relation to the contest--I thought it only gair to post it in the Shepherd discussion forum and here--January.
Best Regards
Ben

Ben Knebel
06-06-2005, 9:35 PM
Someone just pointed out that I made a boo-boo on the time of submission- I said Tuesday at 8AM EST. Since we are using daylight savings time the time should actually be 8 AM EDT. Now if you took 8 AM EST to be a little trick on my part and intend to post at 7AM EDT that's fine. If you post at 8 AM EDT that is also fine. To be fair to everyone and to anyone that may not read this post ahead of time I will declare 6 winners---3 that post correct answers at 7 AM EDT and 3 that post at 8 AM EDT. However--pick a time --go for 7 AM or 8 AM but not both. I will also post this info to all forums that have talked about or mentioned the contest. I expect we will know all the winners within minutes of the clock hitting 7 AM EDT or 8 AM EDT. My apologies for any confusion this may cause buy hey --look at the upside--there are now going to be 6 winners. Best regards Ben

John Shuk
06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Ben,
I can't believe it. I woke up today and have assumed it was Monday all day! I wish I could at least post something representing an expletive! I just want to say you guys are the coolest! What a classy generous couple of guys you are at Shepard tools. I'm not trying to weasel in and get a deal on a plane. I just wanted to say it. I look forward to the day when I do buy a Shepard plane kit.
Regards,
John

Andrew Ault
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I played, but got the wrong answers, sadly. On the other hand, it was fun and very generous of the Shepherd guys!

I've built the Spiers smoother kit in steel and cocobolo and really enjoyed the experience. It works great. I'm using it on my current project to surface some QS white oak and wispy, curlies just stream out of the plane. I really like the mass of the thing and have had no trouble adjusting it. Ben told me to get it just about set, sly of the desired setting, tighten the screwcap and then tap the iron a bit with a hammer (and test) until it is right. Works great. I bought some brass rod to make a plane hammer with so I can avoid messing up the iron.

Gotta say, it beats the Craftsman smoother I bought in high school by a very large margin. (I remember buying it with the sure confidence that it was the best...a Craftsman. Then an old WWII Stanley smoother...better. Learned to tune it...better still.) Well this steel beauty with the exotic stuffing has my Stanley beat. It is very chunky and has a low resonance. The iron (cryo A2 and thick as a brick) is well bedded and stiff.

I've ordered a couple of more kits and I'm really looking forward to making the next one, a 1 1/2" shoulder with brass sides and cocobolo (my favorite for tools). I plan on buying a nice stationary belt sander to make the process easier this time. I was able to use one at a short build session Ben conducted here in San Diego and it really helps.

This has added to the pleasure of woodworking.

Thanks Ben! You too, Doug!

-Andy
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Doug Evans
06-07-2005, 5:23 PM
I am sure Ben will get on here tonight sometime. I really must give Ben great credit for his creativity here. I think folks had a lot of fun.

I just got back from an Albany, NY Build session on the weekend and we are piling into the work now (we dont have to go anywhere for the rest of the summer).

So far, our new equipment is giving us the desired traction we were looking for. We have been able to get wood and brass parts running and have also made prototype parts for a closed-tote handled version of our Spiers No.7.

Once we have finished shipping a bunch of stuff, we will get another newsletter out (I want to try to do a video newsletter on this one and we are having some troubles reducing the resolution). We will try to do a bit of a shop tour on this one too.

Ben has a few more "fun" things to run yet, so stay tuned...

Thanks again,

Doug

Ben Knebel
06-07-2005, 6:07 PM
Ben,
I can't believe it. I woke up today and have assumed it was Monday all day! I wish I could at least post something representing an expletive! I just want to say you guys are the coolest! What a classy generous couple of guys you are at Shepard tools. I'm not trying to weasel in and get a deal on a plane. I just wanted to say it. I look forward to the day when I do buy a Shepard plane kit.
Regards,
John
John John John John ..John
What can I say--better luck next time and mark your calendar--about a week or so before the July holidays--July 1 here for Canada Day and July 4 for you folks I'll start another contest--no plane giveaways this time but something entirely new--that is if I can get Dougy off his duff to finish the design. You can become the proud owner of--well--you'll see. I can tell you though it will be very very nice and we will mark the prize with a number 1 ( first prodcution off the line)--and provide a certificate.--It will be the only one that is numbered. Want a little more of a clue--it'll fit on one of those areas I have set up in the store but don't have any product in it yet.
Thank you for your very kind comments.
Best regards
Ben

Ben Knebel
06-07-2005, 6:10 PM
I played, but got the wrong answers, sadly. On the other hand, it was fun and very generous of the Shepherd guys!

Thanks Ben! You too, Doug!

-Andy
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
Hi Andy;
I had fun too--and we'll be doing it again soon.
I'm glad you like the plane you've built--do I have pictures of it yet? Can I quote you for my testimonials page?
Best regards
Ben

Andrew Ault
06-08-2005, 1:38 PM
Hi Ben,

Sure, you can quote me as you wish.

I'll e-mail you pictures of the plane soon. I just want to radius the side edges of the toe first.

-Andy