PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Turnmaster

Denny Rice
11-05-2013, 3:23 PM
Alright guys need your opinion. I was at Woodcraft the other day and watched a demo of the Sorby Turnmaster. I had never seen it before but really liked the idea of one tool holding three different bits vs having to buy all three tools in three different handles that are made by Easy Wood Tools. I was really surprised when I starting doing some research on the web and found a lot of people really don't like the Turnmaster. I know Sorby makes a quality product, why does everyone seem to hate this one?:eek:

Thom Sturgill
11-05-2013, 4:22 PM
Might be better is they were carbide cutters instead of HHS. Just saying...

Dan Masshardt
11-05-2013, 6:11 PM
Might be better is they were carbide cutters instead of HHS. Just saying...

Don't they have both types available? HSS and carbide.

Bob Bergstrom
11-05-2013, 6:39 PM
A friend has the set. We try it and found the curled knob mechanism got in the way. Always had to have the tool rest too far from the work. Didn't take long to dull the high speed scrapers either.

Jamie Donaldson
11-05-2013, 7:22 PM
Just another useless tool designed to entice turners to turn loose their money!

Harry Robinette
11-05-2013, 8:20 PM
I have to agree with Jamie again.I have one and it just ain't worth a ........(you know). It's like most of the guys say the nose is to big and I think heavy almost off balance. Just my $.02

Jimmy Edwards
11-06-2013, 1:44 AM
I have one and like it.

Scott Hackler
11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Will it work, yes. Is it the best tool for the job.....not even close. Sorby make decent gouges, I should know as I own and use a lot of them. But this is a marketing gamble to entice folks into buying a tool just because it's "new and improved". There is a reason why none of the established turners (both amature and professional) don't use it. There are a lot better tools available and usually at a significantly cheaper price.
But that's just my opinion......

robert baccus
11-06-2013, 2:09 PM
Denny, you might look at the Jamieson bent holder and cutter. It takes a 3/16"cutter, scraper and a 3/16" carbide cup cutter. I hollow with a promaster cutting tip but do the lip and shoulder with the Jamieson. This is on a homemade stabilized tool.

Denny Rice
11-07-2013, 9:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I just keep using my traditional Sorby stuff….