PDA

View Full Version : How belated can a neener be???

Jim O'Dell
06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I was working on my shop doors today. Got the second one finished and drying about 2:00, so after a late lunch, I started back on door 1. Didn't fit the opening worth squat. Spent about an hour looking for my portable planer, got the door fit better to the opening, at least to the point that it should work, marked the position for the hinges, took the door down and started with the hammer and chisel. About 1/2 way through the first hinge, I decided that was for the birds. I never have been very good mortising hinges by hand, and I've tried a bunch of times. So I decided to break open that plunge router I've had for a while, and never used. PC 8529. Got it at Lowes on a close out at 159.95, less a 10% coupon I had. Might have been a rebate involved too with another PC tool purchase, can't remember. Man this thing is SSAAAWWEEEEEEETTTTTT!! The soft start is amazing. The only router I'ver ever used was a 3/4 hp B&D I won in a contest back in the 80's at work. It would torque really bad on starts, so I expected the 8529 to do the same.
Anyway while getting this thing out of the packaging, I found the receipt.....12/03/03. I'm ashamed it's taken me this long to find a project to use it on. Has this happened to any of you? Jim.

Bob Noles
06-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Jim,

Sure has in my case. I am dealing with a couple of issues myself at this time. One being a BS that has not been turned on since purchase last DEC.

Glad you found a new love for a good router. I have the DW618 with the same features you mentioned and I would'nt take anything for it and use it often.

Mike Cutler
06-05-2005, 7:03 AM
Jim. I have 2 of the PC 8529's. I got them for a C-note each at the Borg a few years back on closeout. Never really did figure out why they were on sale so cheap, because it really is a nice router. I have one mounted in a table, and use the other one freehand.
The tool that I have that I haven't used yet is the Micro Fence, edge guide system for a router. I bought it from Bill Hylton at the Worcester Woodworks show a few years back. I don't regret the purchase though. It's a quality tool, and I know I'll use it sometime down the line.