PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Reader-is it me or is the new version REALLY SLOW?

Kev Williams
11-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Hey, I know I shouldn't gripe at free stuff :) -- and typically I like the upgrades, never had a problem... but this last version, it takes like 10 seconds for a simple page to finish loading up. I don't HAVE 10 seconds to wait for every PDF I open to come up! I probably have to open 25 or more PDF's a day... Until lately the graphics were nearly instant. Just started this nonsense with the last upgrade. I would blame my computer since it's been acting up, but every computer I use with the new Reader does the same thing... Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Jack Lemley
11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I am using 11.0.05 and had it check for updates but there are none available. Loaded a couple of PDFs and they pop right up with no delay.

Jack

paul cottingham
11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Try an open source alternative.
Sumatra pdf or Foxit for example.

Steve Wurster
11-05-2013, 7:28 AM
I use Foxit by default unless I'm dealing with a PDF that is either non-standard or simply doesn't work correctly in Foxit. This typically only happens with form-based PDFs. Printing tends to take much longer when using Foxit vs. Adobe Reader, but I don't print a lot of PDFs.

Regardless of which reader you use, be sure to go into the options and disable Javascript. That is a security nightmare, especially in Adobe. I also disable any options related to connecting to the Internet. It's a PDF reader; it shouldn't be connecting to the Internet every time you open a file.

Dan Hintz
11-05-2013, 8:10 AM
Unless you need them, moving the plug-ins for disabled people to another directory (or just deleting them) really speeds things up. Adobe comes with so much stuff by default it spends a bunch of time loading it up on every launch. You could also enable the quicklauncher, but I'm not a fan of having memory resident programs floating around because of the work I do.

Myk Rian
11-05-2013, 9:10 AM
Foxit reader isn't constantly looking for, and doing updates.
Adobe is an update animal.

mike holden
11-05-2013, 9:25 AM
To get back to your original question, I am running 11.0.5 and find it runs quite quickly on windows 7.
I have tried other .pdf readers, but always come back to the original. The inconsistencies and incompatibilities are more annoying to me than the constant updates from adobe.
YMMV
Mike

glenn bradley
11-05-2013, 1:51 PM
No problems here with the latest on Windows 7.

Kev Williams
11-05-2013, 9:22 PM
thanks for the suggestions-- I've never really messed with "preferences".. turned off Javascript, and the dumb thing was the sign/comment/whatever window was always open, I shut that and now it acts like the old days-- :)