PDA

View Full Version : Transmitting HDMI from my tablet to the TV

Bill Huber
11-04-2013, 7:33 PM
I am wanting to transmit the HDMI from my tablet to a receiver at the TV connected to the HDMI 3 input just across the room.

Is anyone out there doing it and if so what are you using, from what I am finding the cost is around $200 for a good transmitter and receiver.

My TV is not internet ready and has no network connectivity.

Myk Rian
11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Go wired, if you can. I have my TV as a second monitor on my desktop. Used a 25' BlueRigger HDMI cable.
They come in longer lengths. I bought several on Amazon.

Bill Huber
11-05-2013, 9:32 AM
Go wired, if you can. I have my TV as a second monitor on my desktop. Used a 25' BlueRigger HDMI cable.
They come in longer lengths. I bought several on Amazon.

I am using a wire right now just when I use it, it runs across the floor from my chair to the TV.

To run a cable I would have to have it from my chair to the wall, up the wall over and down again.

Eric DeSilva
11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Have you looked into Chromecast, AppleTV or Boxee? I think all of them will--for certain things--switch video from your tablet to your TV and connect via HDMI. I'm not sure if any are capable of 1080p, so it may not be the best for blueray video... But I routinely put stuff from my iPad up on my big screen via AppleTV.

Ronnie ward
11-05-2013, 1:00 PM
doing exactly what you’re asking for with apple tv via airplay.
link attached for info. good luck
http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/

Joe Skinner
11-05-2013, 1:41 PM
samsung killed boxee

http://techwhack.co/samsung-acquires-boxee-shutting-july-10-45335/

Bill Huber
11-05-2013, 2:20 PM
I guess I still don't understand all these things Chromecast, AppleTV and the like. It looks like they work from a cloud server someplace I think.

What I am wanting to do is without the internet transmit what is on the tablet to the TV. So I have a movie on the tablet and want to show it on the TV, connect the tablet HDIM out to the transmitter and then transmit it to the receiver with is connected to the number 3 HDMI input on the TV.

For the price this is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.nyrius.com/products/display.php?id=506

Rich Enders
11-05-2013, 3:20 PM
Bill,

For $100 Apple TV is a very small box that becomes a wireless receiver for your TV. So you can send it signals from your computer, or from elsewhere. Go to Apple.com for the details.

Eric DeSilva
11-05-2013, 3:23 PM
Chromecast requires the Internet, but I do not believe the Internet is required to display movies from a tablet to an AppleTV-connected TV. I have only tried it with content from the Internet, but I believe the content is being routed to my iPad, and then only the display is re-routed from the iPad to the AppleTV. If you want, I can try it tonight with some movies that are actually on my iPad. Airplay may be different.

What kind of tablet do you have? The seamlessness of AppleTV and an Apple mobile device may not be replicated for other devices. The other thing I'd note is that the functionality of an AppleTV is a lot greater than a wireless HDMI cable--you could also do things like stream from computers in your house.

Larry Browning
11-05-2013, 3:56 PM
For the price this is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.nyrius.com/products/display.php?id=506

Bill, that looks like it will work for what you want. How about this one? (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6347173&dgc=SS&cid=271316&lid=5009355&acd=12309189100274930) It seems to be a lot cheaper.

Bill Huber
11-05-2013, 8:33 PM
Bill, that looks like it will work for what you want. How about this one? (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6347173&dgc=SS&cid=271316&lid=5009355&acd=12309189100274930) It seems to be a lot cheaper.

My tablet is not WiDi compatible and from what I read on it it has to be or it won't work.

I ordered the one I posted above and we will see how it works out.

Steve Wurster
11-05-2013, 9:25 PM
Be sure to post a review once you get Aries; I'm interested to see how well it works.

Bill Huber
11-05-2013, 9:44 PM
Be sure to post a review once you get Aries; I'm interested to see how well it works.

Well do Steve, it should be here Friday.

Bill Huber
11-07-2013, 10:24 AM

They got shipped sooner than I thought and they came last night. They are much smaller then I thought they would be, I really never checked the size of them on the web site but they are only 6.5" x 4" x 1" so they are small.

Install, so easy that anyone can do it, plug in the little transformer, plug the transformer into the unit, connect the HDMI cable to the unit and then to the TV. The receiver is the same, just plug in the transformer and connect the HDMI cable to your device.

I have an Asus Transformer Prime which has a mini HDMI on it, I have an HDMI to a mini HDMI cable, connect the cable to the transmitter and the tablet, there was my tablet on the big TV, it was that easy and the picture was great.

I tried You Tube, the Creek and Amazon Prime, plus some movies I had on the tablet and all worked great, I could read the post on the Creek from my chair which is 14" from the LG 50" TV. Amazon will not let you go full screen with my Android table but that is not really a big deal, there is just a white border around the picture, that is Amazon not the unit.

The units are only 14" apart, there was never any video problems of any time, I don't know how it would work if they were like 60" apart. I did take the transmitter and tablet to my office area which is about 30 ft. away. Put the transmitter in the closet and it still did great, though 2 walls, no video problems at all.

So far this is just what I was looking for and it is working great, I guess time will tell how long they last.

Steve Wurster
11-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Sounds good. Let us know if you run into any problems down the line.

I'm going to be setting up a TV in our basement probably early next year and would like to just use the signal from another TV (which is hooked to a TiVo) and this product seems like it might do the trick.

I'm guessing you're line about the units only being 14" apart is supposed to be 14 feet and not inches?

Bill Huber
11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Sounds good. Let us know if you run into any problems down the line.

I'm going to be setting up a TV in our basement probably early next year and would like to just use the signal from another TV (which is hooked to a TiVo) and this product seems like it might do the trick.

I'm guessing you're line about the units only being 14" apart is supposed to be 14 feet and not inches?

Yes that is correct, it was 14 foot, not 14 inches, hit the wrong key.
I am going to try and get it farther from the receiver to see how it does tonight, just for the heck of it.